• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alien: Romulus
1 1

23 posts in this topic

Fingers crossed on this one..

Maybe I am misremembering......but wasn't there talks back in the day about continuing the series after the ALIENS and forgetting the drivel that came after that? I will never understand why they didn't transition from Ripley to Newt taking on the monsters. 

On the one hand, sure, it's possible to make a good "closed ship" Alien/Monster film.  We've seen it done.  

But, on the other, given we've seen it done, I would actually prefer they try and do something different.  Something new and hopefully more interesting?  

This is why Cameron's Aliens remains one of the greatest sequels of all time - because it didn't simply ape what Scott did before.  As opposed to the abomination that was Alien3.  

You can't really tell from this preview being only a minute, but they sure make it look like it's just aliens chasing people around.  

I'm also concerned about the time frame, in that I think I remember reading this film was supposed to take place between the first two Alien movies?  That just seems like a bad idea to me.  Talk about wheel spinning.  

Yeah. Anything involving Blade Runner, Mad Max, Alien or Terminator I'm always going to be in on.

That's pretty much my childhood so I'll always give it a go.

The trailer didn't really get me excited.  They also went too hard on the music.  Any new Alien or Predator movie I'm going to lower my expectations and hope they exceed it.

***I'm not asking for much...just want it to be as good as the first two movies

It does look like a bit of a re-do of Alien, which I'm ok with as long as the scares are there.

My thought and philosophy when trying to reignite a failed franchise is always this:

1. Simplify the concept and do what works in order to bring back the audience so they can trust you again.
    • If this means rebooting from an earlier film or remaking one of them, nothing is off the table.
    • Stay true to the source material with a good story; this will allow you to re-imagine instead of recycle.
  2. Twitter doesn't watch movies; if you chase "likes", you will ground your movie to an audience that isn't going to watch it.
    • This mainly pertains to blatant pandering of any audience type.
  3. Embrace new technology; but only if you can afford it in the budget.
  4. Ask for feedback in your downstream not the upstream mandating change.

Once you have done this and have a successful premiere you can explore new ideas and concepts in the squeal within reason and still have a core audience that are excited for the film. Audiences today are much more inclined to understand when a movie is poorly written than in the past.

On 3/21/2024 at 2:25 PM, g-man said:

Maybe I am misremembering......but wasn't there talks back in the day about continuing the series after the ALIENS and forgetting the drivel that came after that? I will never understand why they didn't transition from Ripley to Newt taking on the monsters. 

https://www.avpcentral.com/alien-5-status-of-blomkamps-aliens-sequel#:~:text=Abortive Attempts at a Fifth Film&text=Various writers and directors proposed,would be at the helm.

You talking about that?  It was shelved for Scott's Prometheus 

i remain hopeful but I personally think they have no clue how to make movies about Alien any more. I have not liked anything since Cameron's Aliens as the first 2 films set the bar extremely high, anything that doesn't hit that mark is a waste of time.

I hate trailers like this. Why there is no dialogue? I hope this is not some slasher film with an alien. Hopefully this is good but I hated the Evil Dead remake. I stopped after an hour maybe it was so boring. 

Edited by godzilla43

Hoping for the best, expecting the worst.  I’ve tried to avoid anything about this movie (plot, news, cast, everything).  Really, the only thing I’ve heard is that it’s supposed to take place between the original and the Cameron sequel.  

I hope it’s not  a direct prequel to Aliens (ie. Not about what happened to the LV426 colonists.  We already know that story even if we didn’t see it).

On 3/24/2024 at 8:13 AM, chrisco37 said:

I hope it’s not  a direct prequel to Aliens (ie. Not about what happened to the LV426 colonists.  We already know that story even if we didn’t see it).

Ah ha!  See, you THINK you know the story, but here's the REAL story....

It could be just like the Thing prequel they did about what happened in the Norwegian camp before the first movie!  (which, in all honesty, was not in fact the worst film ever, just completely unoriginal and unnecessary)

On 3/22/2024 at 4:46 AM, DougC said:

My thought and philosophy when trying to reignite a failed franchise is always this:

1. Simplify the concept and do what works in order to bring back the audience so they can trust you again.
    • If this means rebooting from an earlier film or remaking one of them, nothing is off the table.

The Force Awakens only did this part of your philosophy and it made out like gangbusters.

On 3/27/2024 at 12:55 PM, piper said:

Is this a reboot?

no, this is supposed to happen after the first film, but before Aliens so sometime during Ripley's 57 year space float.

On 3/27/2024 at 4:04 PM, Artboy99 said:

no, this is supposed to happen after the first film, but before Aliens so sometime during Ripley's 57 year space float.

Re: Alien Isolation