• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alien: Romulus
6 6

83 posts in this topic

I may be in the minority, but I always hoped the franchise would have continued to expand past the "alien-trapped-on-the-spaceship-with-crew-members-with-bad-accents".

"There's somefing in the wah-uh"

"What?"

"THERE'S SOMEFING IN THE WAH-UH"

"There's huh in the what?"

"Guuurrrrgggggle"

I'll definitely check it out, but I don't know what kind of new storytelling this brings (or if it's just a reboot) to the Alien Universe.

On 6/7/2024 at 12:24 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I may be in the minority, but I always hoped the franchise would have continued to expand past the "alien-trapped-on-the-spaceship-with-crew-members-with-bad-accents".

"There's somefing in the wah-uh"

"What?"

"THERE'S SOMEFING IN THE WAH-UH"

"There's huh in the what?"

"Guuurrrrgggggle"

I'll definitely check it out, but I don't know what kind of new storytelling this brings (or if it's just a reboot) to the Alien Universe.

The "problem" is the first 2 movies were so brilliantly done and covered so much information, it becomes impossible to really expand on the franchise with any "new" material. 

The first movie was shrouded in mystery:  what is it?  where does it come from?  can it be destroyed?  

The second movie answered all of those questions.   

Apart from finding/going to the Xenomorphs home world, what else can be done?   And that movie would pretty much be a larger scale version of Aliens.  So, what's the point?   

If you just have a crew find a single (or 2) Xeno, then you just get Alien again; a small group with nowhere to go being hunted by a space monster (see Alien 3).  

Alien Resurrection started off with a semi-decent idea that was ruined by a bunch of really bad ideas and poor execution.  

How do you make the story interesting and original enough without being a copy of one of the first two?   Pretty tough ask.  

On 6/10/2024 at 1:49 PM, chrisco37 said:

The "problem" is the first 2 movies were so brilliantly done and covered so much information, it becomes impossible to really expand on the franchise with any "new" material. 

The first movie was shrouded in mystery:  what is it?  where does it come from?  can it be destroyed?  

Apart from finding/going to the Xenomorphs home world, what else can be done?   And that movie would pretty much be a larger scale version of Aliens.  So, what's the point?   

If you just have a crew find a single (or 2) Xeno, then you just get Alien again; a small group with nowhere to go being hunted by a space monster (see Alien 3).  

Alien Resurrection started off with a semi-decent idea that was ruined by a bunch of really bad ideas and poor execution.  

How do you make the story interesting and original enough without being a copy of one of the first two?   Pretty tough ask.  

Other than your suggestion of going to the Alien homeworld, the only other intriguing thing would be having the Xenos infest Earth and all the human armies try to eradicate what horde develops.

On 6/10/2024 at 2:09 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Other than your suggestion of going to the Alien homeworld, the only other intriguing thing would be having the Xenos infest Earth and all the human armies try to eradicate what horde develops.

Right.   But it's just "Aliens" all over.  

Xenos vs Military  

On 6/10/2024 at 2:13 PM, chrisco37 said:

Right.   But it's just "Aliens" all over.  

Xenos vs Military  

I get it, and I guess that's the point I'm trying to make is that the only different thing you can do now is scale.

I'd love to see the Navy up against some Xeno sharks, though. :bigsmile:

This re-hash of a movie was probably done as a money grab for the present generation who might see the original as an old classic and want a refreshed version.  I really hope there is something new here, but I have my doubts as well.

I think what you can do is have a super dope Xeno that all the Xeno's admire. But soon the Xeno is not so cool anymore when the Xeno's lover dumps him for a sleazy Predator killer. Desparate to revive his fading reputation, the Super Dope Xeno agrees to a seemingly impossible challenge. He has six weeks to gain the trust of a nerdy outcast Xeno, and help it become the next hip Xeno. 

Edited by Rodey

I will Lord Willing see this Wednesday at an early screening, but after that cheerful and optimistic Borderlands, I'll probably hold off on any opinion lol 

Nah I'll probably be itching to say yay or nay, but will anyone think it "optimistic!" :roflmao:

Anyway, Aliens aren't really my thing, but my brother wants to see it, so maybe I'll just write what he says hahaha

Ok, I'm going to complain because I've been hurt so much by this franchise.

-  I don't like how fresh-faced all the actors/actresses are

-  I don't like that I haven't heard much hype about this movie (maybe it's just me)

-  I don't like the "been there, done that" feel...(Alien and Aliens were two completely different movies and they were able to make them both great)

-  Nobody in this movie better make it out alive (I don't want to see a girl with a cat as the final two living creatures at the end of the movie)

***Having said all that I really hope this movie is a hit so they can have a reason to make more

You're right. It's going to take something very innovative, and I thought Ridley Scott had that with Prometheus, but while the cinematography was mindblowing, it was a little weak story wise...although I think it'll still fare better than this current Alien installment. 

Part of the problem is the limitations of the material you have to work with but the other part of the problem is the consumer. Society's appetite for storytelling changes and also matures over time, and we're in a very different place 45 years later socially than when Alien was first released.

In the past you could do the same thing over and over and get away with it, but imagine Stan Lee or DC still putting out the same, immature stories today?

Sure the audiences got older, but society is also more educated overall, more aware, children are more mature, and everyone is more experienced in what makes up good storytelling and therefore also more aware of what a bad story is like. 

It's too easy for entertainers to rest on their laurels, churn out garbage for a buck and for the audience to give it a pass simply because it feels good due to being a familiar franchise.

The only antidote to bad behavior is to not reward it. 

Edited by VintageComics