• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Online vs Catalog
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Taking kind of an informal poll.

I have an item listed with Heritage in the upcoming Signature auction and they botched the catalog listing.   It’s a color Romita Sr prelim of the DF Spidey/Goblin poster - listed correctly on the website but with the wrong picture in the auction catalog (which has a Superman pencil page).

Heritage has offered to either lower the seller percentage for the snafu or relist in the Summer Signature auction. 

I personally do page through the catalog but by and large depend on the website - but that’s me.

How much traction does the catalog get?   Is it worth losing the 10 bidders and 90+ trackers to pull the item?   This is a Sunday automated auction listing so it’s a small pic in the catalog - not a major player piece.

Pull and relist or stay the course?

Edited by Verbow

On 3/22/2024 at 10:04 AM, Verbow said:

I have an item listed with Heritage in the upcoming Signature auction and they botched the catalog listing.   It’s a color Romita Sr prelim of the DF Spidey/Goblin poster - listed correctly on the website but with the wrong picture in the auction catalog (which has a Superman pencil page).

Heritage has offered to either lower the seller percentage for the snafu or relist in the Summer Signature auction. 

I personally do page through the catalog but by and large depend on the website - but that’s me.

How much traction does the catalog get?   Is it worth losing the 10 bidders and 90+ trackers to pull the item?   This is a Sunday automated auction listing so it’s a small pic in the catalog - not a major player piece.

I would ask HA to remove it from this auction and include it in the June auction.

I am always surprised they still send out catalogs. Mine don't even get opened for the most part. I'd take the discount and go with the revised online listing. I imagine by the time someone who specifically remembers the piece from the catalog views it on the website with the revised description, they're not even going to recall the disparity between details in print and online.

I asked HA to stop sending catalogs to me.  Not a fan of receiving those postcard type mailers.  But those waste much less paper.

If you can save on the commission, I guess it's worth it.  And HA should pull that lot ASAP so people don't get weirded out.

On 3/23/2024 at 1:03 AM, Will_K said:

I asked HA to stop sending catalogs to me.  Not a fan of receiving those postcard type mailers.  But those waste much less paper.

Ditto.  

On 3/22/2024 at 7:04 AM, Verbow said:

Stay the course. Pull and relist later will scream "marked down" and "yesterdays news" to the pool of been there, seen that fickle bidders. Unfortunate error but online exposure is strong enough to promote your item.

Thanks for the input guys - very much appreciated.

While it’s irksome, the risk of losing the existing bidders - and yes, the appearance of a problem or markdown if relisting later - has me inclined to just stay the course.   

I usually look at Signature Auction items online but this time I went through the catalogue first. Your auction is not the only one that got a wrong picture in the catalogue I at least noticed 1 more with this error. In both instances the picture that was published is of a previous lot. As others have stated I would take the lower fee (and would try to ask them for an even lower fee than they've offered before accepting). Relisting will only cost you more money if you have taken an advance and people really mostly look at items online as you can get a bigger picture and a look at the complete page instead of only the cropped image.

Clearly the only solution is to slice the piece in half ( I prefer vertically) and sell half now at the lower seller's fee and then sell the other half in the summer signature auction. 

It's called "Solomon's Dollar Cost Averaging"

On 3/23/2024 at 7:56 AM, timguerrero said:

I usually look at Signature Auction items online but this time I went through the catalogue first. Your auction is not the only one that got a wrong picture in the catalogue I at least noticed 1 more with this error. In both instances the picture that was published is of a previous lot. As others have stated I would take the lower fee (and would try to ask them for an even lower fee than they've offered before accepting). Relisting will only cost you more money if you have taken an advance and people really mostly look at items online as you can get a bigger picture and a look at the complete page instead of only the cropped image.

Yes, I saw that too.  There are two Jim Cheung pieces that show the same image for both in the catalog, but online has them correct.  One is a DPS from Young Avengers #12, and the other is a single interior page. 

On 3/23/2024 at 8:03 AM, comix4fun said:

Clearly the only solution is to slice the piece in half ( I prefer vertically) and sell half now at the lower seller's fee and then sell the other half in the summer signature auction. 

Thy wisdom in this is almost worse than the mother wanting to settle for half a baby!

Almost.

On 3/23/2024 at 10:03 AM, comix4fun said:

I've heard better advice. What do you do for a living? :)

Edited by alxjhnsn