• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC recognized Provenance Collections
3 3

14 posts in this topic

On 3/22/2024 at 10:29 AM, gmasstermcd said:

Is there a list available of all the collections CGC has awarded Provenance Status to, like the Fantast collection?

I wish there was. The ones off the top of my head:

Harlan Ellison Collection

Nicholas Cage Collection

Graham Nash Collection

(Whatever the name is of Stan Lee's tailor) Collection

I think that is just a modern naming convention they use, so you will see many older slabbed books that label it as "From the the collection of _____" (for example I have several books labeled "From the collection of Rubén Blades")

Edited by Sauce Dog

I was looking for something like this from CGC, as well.  If it's important enough to get a distinctive annotation like that on the label, then I would think they should have a list somewhere with maybe a blurb about the collection size, some of the noteworthy comics in the collection, maybe a history of the collection, etc (hopefully).  But for sure CGC should at least some mention that such a collection is out there.

Edited by Telegan

I think there are quite a few. I'd add:

Don Rosa

Don and Maggie Thompson

Edited by AJD

I am wondering because I have seen a seller on Whatnot claiming they have a CGC provenance label but there doesn't seem to be any way to confirm this. It sounds fishy to me also because the seller is saying that they are going to Florida and there is going to be a big announcement about it with Mat Nelson and I would think if that was true CGC would not want this announcement being spread around on Whatnot before they could break the news. Like when they did the Fantast collection they made a big deal about it with announcements about the label and they had some of the books already slabbed so they could show it off when it was announced, and they had books lined up to be auctioned off to help advertise the auction and the collection. Has anyone ever heard of the SRP Apex collection? That's what the guy on Whatnot is saying his label is going to be. I attached a screen shot of his post talking about it in his Youtube comments as well. Spoiler he calls it a CGC Providence collection which also makes it seem less legit.

srp apex.png

I'm not sure if it has been tried yet, but I would think if you emailed/called CGC customer service with direct question about the existence of a specific Provenance/Collection, they would at minimum be able to confirm/deny the existence of the collection, even if they don't provide any other info about it.

On 3/25/2024 at 6:32 PM, revat said:

I'm not sure if it has been tried yet, but I would think if you emailed/called CGC customer service with direct question about the existence of a specific Provenance/Collection, they would at minimum be able to confirm/deny the existence of the collection, even if they don't provide any other info about it.

Thanks for the suggestion I just emailed them. Hopefully I hear something back soon.