• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New mutants 98 reprint?
2 2

6 posts in this topic

So I just purchased ( have not received.) A new mutants # 98 reprint that looks identical to any other original copy I've ever seen. Does anyone know about this. I can't find any info. Here are some pictures of the cover and the first page

Screenshot_20240324_152047_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240324_152054_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240324_155611_eBay.jpg

Marvel released a whole bunch of "True Believers" reprints between ~2014-2021 for $1 before the marketing department decided that "Facsimile" would sell better than reprint (and it appears to have worked!)

The indicia you've posted is for this book:  https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=35009255

The cover (and back cover) posted are from the original New Mutants #98,  Likely answer - whoever sold this just combined pictures from different books.

On 3/24/2024 at 8:00 PM, Lightning55 said:

Looks to be a replica #98 cover installed on the inner pages of True Believers Deadpool #1.

Probably made intentionally to deceive.

Agree that it's a replica cover. The True Believers issues had a red band across the
top that had the Marvel logo and TRUE BELIEVERS and with DEADPOOL #1 below.

Here's one for sale on ebay (not mine) for reference:

NM 98 True Believers

Edited by Hiro

There's really no doubt that this is a replica cover (by which we mean counterfeit, not one of the "Marvel Replica" editions) attached to the now-coverless interior of True Believers Deadpool (2016). There's no plausible reason for this to have been created for legitimate purposes. Whoever did so did it because this took about $10 in materials to produce and is a fairly passable simulation of what could easily be a $1000 book in its apparent condition.

There's no way to know from here whether the seller you were dealing with is the perpetrator or merely another victim in the line. But, needless to say, this is utterly worthless in terms of collector value.