• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tips for listing a large amount of books
3 3

28 posts in this topic

Hi,

I’m looking at listing about 150 comics here (a large amount of the Claremont run of X-Men).

When I listed in another venue, I used a google sheet and Imgur.  I am guessing I need to list each issue here in its own post as that’s the usual format?

Just wondering if there’s a different, more efficient way to list them all, since many are $10 or below.

Thanks!

You don't really want to do all separate posts.  You can group them by whatever makes sense, such as price, or story arc.  That way you could have a dozen or more on a single post that says $10 each, or 5 for $40.

Check the For Sale categories for people putting up large sales, and copy that.

Like maybe this one:

On 3/24/2024 at 8:12 PM, Lightning55 said:

You don't really want to do all separate posts.  You can group them by whatever makes sense, such as price, or story arc.  That way you could have a dozen or more on a single post that says $10 each, or 5 for $40.

Check the For Sale categories for people putting up large sales, and copy that.

Like maybe this one:

Thanks so much for this!

On 3/24/2024 at 8:45 PM, KirbyJack said:

Oooh! Please sell them here!

Cheapie bronze X-Men sound delicious right about now. 

Just gotta get the listing together! Couple more questions since I have you here:

1- better to make two listings (one bronze, one copper), or a mixed ages thread?  I feel like I don’t look at mixed age threads much, but what about other folks?

2. In the other venue, prices usually include shipping.  For here, i think it’s better to list books cheaper and have shipping info up top, and include info about bulk shipping?

I would make two separate threads, bronze and silver. I don't check mixed very often, either.

I would consider selling as lots. I hate paying $7 shipping for a $9 comic. Definitely include bulk shipping rates! You want buyers claiming stacks of books. I usually will work with people on shipping.

• Administrator

One thing that I do not think was brought up is, it's important to follow this one rule when listing lots.  

6.  Either a scan or an estimated grade must be listed with each book offered for sale.

On 3/25/2024 at 8:57 AM, CGC Mike said:

One thing that I do not think was brought up is, it's important to follow this one rule when listing lots.  

6.  Either a scan or an estimated grade must be listed with each book offered for sale.

Thanks for this! I have photos of each book already from the other listing.

Posted (edited)
On 3/25/2024 at 8:26 AM, KirbyJack said:

I would make two separate threads, bronze and silver. I don't check mixed very often, either.

I would consider selling as lots. I hate paying $7 shipping for a $9 comic. Definitely include bulk shipping rates! You want buyers claiming stacks of books. I usually will work with people on shipping.

The lot thing is definitely appealing on a lot of levels, I just don’t know how I would break them up since I feel like a lot of this may be individual fill for any one collector.  Maybe break the books up by price and have a “make a lot” thing where you can pick books into a lot of X books or X value for one shipping rate or something?  The price tiers I think basically follow the series every 25 issues or so.

Working title is looking like “CORVONIE’S CONVEYER-BELT SUSHI-STYLE-SALE” (shrug)

Edited by Corvonie

On 3/25/2024 at 12:13 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I agree with KJ about the $15 shipping on a $9 book.  However, I can also say I won't normally buy lots UNLESS I actually want/need all the books in the lot.  I do understand that listing 150 books separately in 2 different threads is several tons of work.

Not nearly as much as packing and shipping 150 orders.

On 3/25/2024 at 3:11 PM, shadroch said:

Have you done this before?   If not, I'd start with a much smaller listing.  

I have done this before, just on a different venue.  But thanks! I'll probably list them in batches anyway.  I do have all materials ready from when they were listed before though.  But I think I'm gonna go with lots of 5-10 books once they get into non-keys and basically above 140 or 150. Thanks for the input!

On 3/25/2024 at 3:13 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I agree with KJ about the $15 shipping on a $9 book.  However, I can also say I won't normally buy lots UNLESS I actually want/need all the books in the lot.  I do understand that listing 150 books separately in 2 different threads is several tons of work.

Right this is the rub.  I'm going to try lots and then maybe we arrive at "make a lot".  But the "make a lot" falls apart when its like someone claims 5 books, but someone else has claimed one of them and then you have to ask if they want a replacement but in the meantime someone else has claimed another one etc etc.

I just finished up a large sales thread and after the first day, people were irate that I did not update the thread quickly as I was posting things for sale. Someone would buy a book, but I'd keep posting - pausing to update about every 20-30 minutes - boardies did not like that. So the next day when I was posting the next batch, when I sold a book, I'd stop what I was doing and update the post to 'Sold'. It adds some time, but there was no grumbling.

Not that this applies to your X-Men listing, but: I also tried to post books in random order (no alphabetical) on the first day to just mix it up. It was not only confusing for the Boardies, it was way more time consuming on my end for being able to sort through and find books that people bought and get them in their pile. Would not recommend that at all.

On 3/26/2024 at 7:45 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Not that this applies to your X-Men listing, but: I also tried to post books in random order (no alphabetical) on the first day to just mix it up. It was not only confusing for the Boardies, it was way more time consuming on my end for being able to sort through and find books that people bought and get them in their pile. Would not recommend that at all.

I’ve always felt that to successfully sell on the boards you need to be either incredibly organized or selling just a few lots. I’m afraid my customers would be getting mailed the wrong books constantly if I tried. eBay might not be everyone’s cup of tea but it keeps me organized and for graded books comes close to the best auction sites. 

On 3/26/2024 at 7:45 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I'll second this. As a buyer, rando listed sales threads are a *huge* turnoff for me, especially if they're multiple pages long. I don't want to scroll through a dozen pages looking for a single book I saw and then went past. And if it's a multi-day thread, I don't want to be constantly checking if I'm only interested in an end-of-the alphabet title (or particular issue number) that's going to be listed.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

On 3/26/2024 at 8:08 AM, dick pontoon said:

I'll second this. As a buyer, rando listed sales threads are a *huge* turnoff for me, especially if they're multiple pages long. I don't want to scroll through a dozen pages looking for a single book I saw and then went past. And if I'm it's a multi-day thread, I don't want to be constantly checking a thread if I'm only interested in an end-of-the alphabet title (or particular issue number) that's going to be listed.

lol That's how my sales threads end up.  Sometimes I start off with a big book, then I start adding books that are close at hand and I end up with this random batch of books in no particular order.