• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Lee Congratulates 'Late Night with the Devil', Justifies AI Being Used in the Movie.

5 posts in this topic

I had no idea that LNWTD used AI until I read this post by Jim Lee:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C47OqTSoJBs/?img_index=1

I'm a little surprised he jumped on the "AI is ok" bandwagon, and even more surprised he didn't kill this post the minute people started coming out saying the film had used AI. Granted, it's IG where people will figure out a way to complain about anything - but Jim Lee justifying it by saying "It's only for 30 seconds" was unexpected. I understand that we'll be seeing AI more and more often, but to see a traditional illustrator with the talent he has not taking the stand against it's use at all - is pretty disappointing.

Are people making a big deal about nothing? To me, three seconds of AI is three seconds too much. It's an affront to creativity, but maybe I'm in the vocal minority opposing the non-vocal majority? I mean, if Jim Lee doesn't think it's a big deal, why should anyone else?

Edited by Dr. Balls

You get what you pay for. People have been using computers to create graphics as backgrounds for an awful long time. How else could some of these shows afford the cast of thousands used in battle scenes? But if you are looking for story leads, AI’s derivative nature guarantees an inferior product—mediocre, perhaps, but not original. Audiences aren’t stupid. After the shock and awe of great graphics wears off, they still want a great story. So no, given time AI shouldn’t win out in the long run.

the film had an art and graphics team. If using AI to get the one interstitial image was their decision, and made in order to keep an artist working on something more important, it makes perfect sense. It is a tool. if the art department uses a tool to stay within budget/work on something more important, it makes perfect sense. If corporate suits demand using AI to replace hiring an art team, that is a problem.

that being said, good movie. enjoyed it alot.