• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 Just Graded 9.9. It Begins.....
7 7

178 posts in this topic

On 3/28/2024 at 2:18 PM, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Definitely the B-E-S-T GS XM1, front & back covers are nicely centered.

I feel sorry for holders of CGC9.8s

CGC4388239-006_OBV.jpg

CGC4388239-006_REV.jpg

Where did that scan come from? It looks like they have definitely altered the settings to make the book appear whiter than it actually is. 

On 3/29/2024 at 12:30 AM, kimik said:

Where did that scan come from? It looks like they have definitely altered the settings to make the book appear whiter than it actually is. 

GSXM1.thumb.jpg.18aafa818b53be8818812e619b171a89.jpg

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 3/28/2024 at 8:27 PM, namisgr said:

It's the staple under the cover and holding the interior pages together.  When it produces a bump on the cover surface, it's a production feature.

With that said, in looking through the Heritage auction archives at 9.8 copies, I certainly couldn't say that this copy looks nicer or sharper.  But I'm neither a professional grader or potentially subject to motivated grading.

Still an issue you see on ‘lesser copies’, and at this level I’d expect something approaching perfection.

A ‘superior’ copy with aspects of ‘inferior’ presentation. I’ll invoke Emperor’s New Clothes Syndrome on this one.

Apologies for the excessive Kirby air quoting.

On 3/29/2024 at 1:30 AM, kimik said:

Different scanners will be set slightly differently. I prefer the scan that is not heavy on the white because it washes out a bit, while the other one has deeper colours. To my eye background white means less than rich reds and blues. 

On 3/29/2024 at 8:11 AM, lostboys said:

I see 2 defects.

A mis-wrap and a dent from the staple under the cover.

The mis-wrap is a manufacturing defect.

The dent is a handling defect.

(shrug) 

= 9.8

Couldn't agree more... having submitted hundreds of 9.8 candidates and never gotten a 9.9, this book is clearly not a 9.9.  The color rub at the staple is more than enough to take it out of the category.

On 3/29/2024 at 8:30 AM, EastEnd1 said:

Couldn't agree more... having submitted hundreds of 9.8 candidates and never gotten a 9.9, this book is clearly not a 9.9.  The color rub at the staple is more than enough to take it out of the category.

Post some of your submission images or CGC cert #s

On 3/29/2024 at 9:37 AM, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Post some of your submission images or CGC cert #s

Guess you haven't seen my Westfield comic box thread in the modern section... 

On 3/29/2024 at 9:48 AM, Chaos_in_Canada said:

I don't care about M-O-D-E-R-N.

You posted on Bronze, let's see some CGC9.8s bronze square bound. 

Actually I posted in GENERAL (as did you).  And there should be no technical difference between grading bronze and modern.  

Tell you what, why don't YOU do the work and find me another 9.9 with color rub.

On 3/29/2024 at 9:51 AM, EastEnd1 said:

Actually I posted in GENERAL (as did you).  And there should be no technical difference between grading bronze and modern.  

Tell you what, why don't YOU do the work and find me another 9.9 with color rub.

Yeah, you're right...the post is in GENERAL.

The CGC9.9 is still the B-E-S-T GS XM1 (front & back) & no one can change that!

On 3/29/2024 at 9:55 AM, Chaos_in_Canada said:

So you're saying they grade on a curve?

Anyway, there is a 9.6 posted on the CBCS forum (can't post here due to company insecurities) that looks better.

On 3/29/2024 at 10:03 AM, Sigur Ros said:

So you're saying they grade on a curve?

Anyway, there is a 9.6 posted on the CBCS forum (can't post here due to company insecurities) that looks better.

Post a cropped image of the GS XM1 (front & back). :baiting:

I don't believe you!  

On 3/29/2024 at 9:55 AM, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Maybe... maybe not.  Impossible to tell unless you look at all the 9.8s and this "9.9" side-by-side.

But one thing this book certainly ISN'T is a 9.9... not with staple color rub and indent, and a spine mis-wrap.  It might even be impossible for ANY GSXM1 to achieve a 9.9 due to staple placement.  And that is perfectly fine. (thumbsu

On 3/29/2024 at 8:55 AM, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Until CGC grades 5 more at 9.9 or higher. That's kind of the problem isn't it. 9.8 was B-E-S-T copy and no one could change that...until they did

And who's to say that the staple indent and color rub wasn't worsened (or even created) by the pressing process that the book likely went through.  (shrug)

That would clearly make both handling defects.

On 3/28/2024 at 4:27 PM, namisgr said:

It's the staple under the cover and holding the interior pages together.  When it produces a bump on the cover surface, it's a production feature.

With that said, in looking through the Heritage auction archives at 9.8 copies, I certainly couldn't say that this copy looks nicer or sharper.  But I'm neither a professional grader or potentially subject to motivated grading.

Yes, it is a production feature, but that feature does not result is color rub/loss.  That production issue makes this very likely to happen, but does not cause it. That occurs afterwards during handling.  To me this should 100% disqualify this book from a 9.9.