• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 Just Graded 9.9. It Begins.....
7 7

178 posts in this topic

On 4/5/2024 at 1:22 AM, DC# said:

Actually -  in the CGC Guide to Grading Comics by Matt - they do state that miswraps peak at 9.8 

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/10586/cgc-guide-grading-comics-nelson/

IMG_3883.thumb.jpeg.4bf0cf19fafd962087f4422d32a52962.jpeg

Id like to hear CGCs reasoning for not following their own guide to grading with the X-Men 9.9 then.

Should be interesting.

:popcorn:

On 4/5/2024 at 1:55 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Then you answered the question for me. They didn't consider it a miswrap.

apparently they don’t.   But by the definition from the man himself it would sure seem like a miswrap.    And in the case below. - not even a straight/uniform miswrap is required

image.jpeg.f3bfad71d3d10a1fec51cebc2a8c8b6e.jpeg

On 4/5/2024 at 2:22 PM, DC# said:

apparently they don’t.   But by the definition from the man himself it would sure seem like a miswrap.    And in the case below. - not even a straight/uniform miswrap is required

It’s either one way or the other then I guess. I get the part of the book you referenced, but according to the website it’s allowed on a 9.9. Guess there’s potential interpretation. If you ask me, the GSX1 and this are 9.9’s 🤷‍♂️. At the end of the day doesn’t matter much to me regardless because I ain’t shelling out the dinero for either book. But I do personally think they’re appropriate.

On 4/5/2024 at 5:22 PM, DC# said:

Definitely looks 9.9,  those corners are perfectly sharp with no binary tears.  It's hard for people to understand how 9.9's/10's are achieved. it's always "How can it be XX of a grade if it has this?  

On 4/6/2024 at 6:06 PM, Kevin76 said:

Definitely looks 9.9,  those corners are perfectly sharp with no binary tears.  It's hard for people to understand how 9.9's/10's are achieved. it's always "How can it be XX of a grade if it has this?  

It's usually a different question from me...

"How can that book be  a 9.9, but this book isn't?"

On 4/4/2024 at 10:22 PM, DC# said:

Actually -  in the CGC Guide to Grading Comics by Matt - they do state that miswraps peak at 9.8 

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/10586/cgc-guide-grading-comics-nelson/

IMG_3883.thumb.jpeg.4bf0cf19fafd962087f4422d32a52962.jpeg

I suspect they have a tolerance for declaring a miswrap.  You can't just say zero or nothing would be above a 9.8.  Based on the ToD example, 2mm perhaps?

On 4/6/2024 at 5:44 PM, Tom789 said:

I suspect they have a tolerance for declaring a miswrap.  You can't just say zero or nothing would be above a 9.8.  Based on the ToD example, 2mm perhaps?

Seems logical.   Maybe in future editions of the book they will actually state the numerical criteria like they do with spine splits, etc.  

This is an unanswerable hypothetical but I will ask the question anyway….

There are currently ten, universal 9.9 copies of ASM 300.   There have been five recorded sales - one each in 2005, 2012, 2014, 2015, and 2017. 

There are nearly 1,600 copies of this book in 9.8 (out of 29k+ total books).   It has traded hands around 100 times a year for past 8 years or so and is still selling for around $3k give or take a few hundred on either side.   

If the ten copies in 9.9 did not exist, would the value of the 9.8s be different?    If yes - how much of a discount do you think 9.8s are selling for because of the 9.9s?   If  no - how many copies in 9.9 would it take to alter the price trajectory of 9.8s? 

Again - this is all unknowable but I would love to hear people’s thoughts   

On 4/7/2024 at 6:12 AM, Sigur Ros said:

The GSX color rub and indent damage at the staple take it way out of 9.9 for me. 

It seems this gifted grade and auction publicity came with much needed good press for CGC.  As long as you don't look too closely.  Probably a behind-the-scenes story to this that we won't know.

That aside, it was a case of CGC wanting this book to be a 9.9 and put in the right auction hands, than the book actually being 9.9

What grade is "appropriate for you" and what's correctly graded are two different things. You're more than welcome to feel it's not a 9.9, nor will you ever be bidding on it, but that doesn't change the fact CGC felt being a manufacturing flaw it should correctly not detract from the grade.

On 4/7/2024 at 2:50 PM, DC# said:

There are currently ten, universal 9.9 copies of ASM 300.   There have been five recorded sales - one each in 2005, 2012, 2014, 2015, and 2017. 

There are nearly 1,600 copies of this book in 9.8 (out of 29k+ total books).   It has traded hands around 100 times a year for past 8 years or so and is still selling for around $3k give or take a few hundred on either side.   

If the ten copies in 9.9 did not exist, would the value of the 9.8s be different?    If yes - how much of a discount do you think 9.8s are selling for because of the 9.9s?   If  no - how many copies in 9.9 would it take to alter the price trajectory of 9.8s? 

My thinking is that the existence of 9.9's does not impact the value of 9.8's because of the vast differences in quantity.  I think the ratio of 160 to 1 puts them into different categories.  If it were something like a 10 to 1 or 20 to 1 ratio, (either because of more 9.9's or less 9.8's) I could see where either grade would likely negatively impact the value of the other.  

On 4/7/2024 at 3:50 PM, DC# said:

I don't know the answer to your question, but I would bet my house the number of 9.9s is going to dramatically increase. 

On 4/3/2024 at 10:52 AM, october said:

Just talked to my friend Bill. He does Copper, but mostly Modern. 

500+ subs before this year: zero 9.9/10.0 results. 

Last 21 book sub: four 9.9 results. 

Take that for what you will. Wondering if 9.9 will be the next 9.8, especially with the pre-screen. 

I'm going to send all my 9.8s in for a regrade!

On 4/7/2024 at 9:12 AM, Sigur Ros said:

The GSX color rub and indent damage at the staple take it way out of 9.9 for me. 

It seems this gifted grade and auction publicity came with much needed good press for CGC.  As long as you don't look too closely.  Probably a behind-the-scenes story to this that we won't know.

That aside, it was a case of CGC wanting this book to be a 9.9 and put in the right auction hands, than the book actually being 9.9

Agreed.

The GSXM 1 also has signifigant cover overhang at the top RC of the FC and a corresponding sized gap which exposes the bottom right (starting around the middle of the bottom FC to the bottom RC of the FC) at the bottom RC of the FC.

This looks to me like SRS. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

if CGC actually starts offering pre-screens for 9.9 and 10's, the demand for 9.8's , particularly in BA thru MA books, will be signifigantly hit.

Any dealer or even collector of such CGC 9.8's should be on the phone to CGC customer service with their dealer account or associate account number in hand, and telling the CGC reps  they will be forced to take their business to Voldemort if a CGC 9.9 / CGC 10 prescreen is introduced.

As ridiculous as that may sound, as we all know Voldemort 9.8's of comparable books fetch around half the price of comparable CGC 9.8's..... it will not be the least bit funny when the market for CGC 9.8's (think ASM McFarlane's Miller DD's and so on) is looked upon with the drop in FMV from a 9.8 to 9.6...or dang close to that drop.....

The only scenario where a CGC 9.9 and CGC 10 prescreen would not  negatively impact the back issue comic market would be one that is for brand new exclusives sent to comic shops, from the printer....as was shown in the CGC 9.9 and 10 grading video of a Mighty Morphn Power Rangers store exclusive this past month.

I would be fine with that sort of CGC 9.9/10 pre-screen i.e. only for brand new modern store exclusives shipped to CGC directly after printing.

This video from Joe at Top Comics Pressing discusses this issue, and Automatic Comics has made similiar analysis in recent videos he's put out concerning the possibility of CGC 9.9/s/10's WRT the CGC 9.8 back issue market.

As has Swagglehouse, for that matter.

If you read the comments in any of their videos on this subject, virtually everyone is saying the same this same thing.

Ryan (AutomaticComics) pointed this out in one of his videos on this subject, as well.

I urge all submitters to call CGC and have your customer account number on hand .

Please watch this video, I'll add that I am not Top Comics Pressing nor am I Automatic Comics or SwaggleHouse: