• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sale 3033: The DC UNIVERSE COLLECTION Part II: PRE-HERO :: PBA
3 3

57 posts in this topic

On 3/28/2024 at 3:12 PM, RareHighGrade said:

There were also some good deals to be had.  I thought that the unrestored Tec 5 in 7.0 for $10,625 was a bargain.  As was the unrestored More Fun #35 (one of the toughest MF issues) in 7.0 for only $3,437.  The buyers of those books should be very happy.

Absolutely - these stuck out to me as well.

On 3/28/2024 at 2:20 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Sorry you missed it woo woo.

Is Ian the consignor? I’m sorry for my ignorance, but I don’t know the backstory 

No. He had a deal that when he passed the books would go to this person but got pressured to give them up early.

I would have loved to get the Detective 3 back for 6k:tonofbricks:

On 3/30/2024 at 1:00 AM, mwotka said:

Nice wins!  Picked up a few myself. The two Flessel covers I am very excited about and have been after for a long time.  And then the New Comics 9 was just too cheap to pass up, with that roster of artists.  Already wish I'd grabbed a few more.  

new adventure 31.jpg

more fun 44.jpg

new comics 8.jpg

Nice, I wish I had a grabbed at least one each of the New Comics and More Funs.  I thought about you when the Detective 13 came up. C-1 with no color touch. I guess that's why it went higher than most of the restored Tecs. Fun little auction that was. 

On 3/30/2024 at 12:06 AM, Professor K said:

I doubt anyone here bid that high on the Tec 1. The Detective's 3 and 4 I think went low. #4 6.0 A-2 was a great price and I wished I'd have clicked at least 2 or 3 more times on it. 

One highly intelligent person gave issue 3  6.0 A-3 the one and only bid it needed to bring home. After Detective 4 bidding on the rest of the Detectives seemed to really picked up.

Quite a few of the early More Funs and New Comics sold kind of low also. Low grade, restored, but scarce books.

I wasn't going to post this at least until I got it but here it is. Hooray for me. 

Opera Snapshot_2024-03-30_000005_pbagalleries.com.png

Congrats, super pick up! 👏 

I found it fascinating that Ian created 30+ fake ashcans just to have them.  He contacted me once in the early 2000s gauging my interest in selling.  I mentioned I had doubles I would sell but he didn’t seem that interested. I just assumed he didn’t care about them, thinking that they weren’t real comics.  Very strange.

Why were there no bids on the Flash ashcan?  It should have sold for $20,000+

Also, the Cancelled Comics Cavalcade was a bargain.

On 3/30/2024 at 8:26 AM, Moondog said:

I found it fascinating that Ian created 30+ fake ashcans just to have them.  He contacted me once in the early 2000s gauging my interest in selling.  I mentioned I had doubles I would sell but he didn’t seem that interested. I just assumed he didn’t care about them, thinking that they weren’t real comics.  Very strange.

Why were there no bids on the Flash ashcan?  It should have sold for $20,000+

Also, the Cancelled Comics Cavalcade was a bargain.

The CCC was a risk as it may have been a bootleg. Its value hinged on your view of the credibility of Ian's story.

The Flash (DC) ashcan is supercool, but it is the lowest graded of six copies  - 9.6, 9.6, 9.4, 9.4, 9.2, 9.0 - (which is a huge number of copies for an ashcan of this time period, right?) and recent sales suggested that the $20K starting price might be high, e.g.,: 2022 - 9.6 $45.6K and 2018 - 9.4 $20.3K.

So my analysis was that (1) the Pandemic pandemonium prices are over (2021-2022 prices were aberrations and are not be sustained at the high end for Promise Books as an example); (2) The 2018 book is the closest comparable and that's the second best copy not the sixth best copy; so (3) $20K was too high a starting price.  If it had been $15K I would have bid and maybe the excitement would have taken me to $20K - who knows.

The sale definitely had some bargains and some crazy high record prices. That's a good auction in my book.

Edited by sfcityduck

I think the venue hurt some things, especially the ashcans and some rarities.  Savvy collectors were aware of it but had to be no where near the interest and bidders as an HA auction.  I found the auction experience off-putting, as they didn't allow zoom on the book for sale and didn't have the grade details so I was constantly toggling tabs between the catalogue and auction screen to stay up on what was being offered.  And then they didn't show the premium so was constantly trying to calculate actual sale price with the 25% premium, instead of just showing both totals like on HA.  I thought the auctioneer was kinda blah, he really could've talked up some of those items and the rarity, etc a bit more.  What's the point of a live auctioneer if he isn't going to generate more interest than automated?  And then to have the big ashcans and that Siegel/Schuster sci-fi proto-pulp at the end, those should've near the beginning.  Still, it was an enjoyable experience and fun to watch a once in a lifetime collection sell.  

On 3/30/2024 at 10:20 AM, mwotka said:

I think the venue hurt some things, especially the ashcans and some rarities.  Savvy collectors were aware of it but had to be no where near the interest and bidders as an HA auction.  I found the auction experience off-putting, as they didn't allow zoom on the book for sale and didn't have the grade details so I was constantly toggling tabs between the catalogue and auction screen to stay up on what was being offered.  And then they didn't show the premium so was constantly trying to calculate actual sale price with the 25% premium, instead of just showing both totals like on HA.  I thought the auctioneer was kinda blah, he really could've talked up some of those items and the rarity, etc a bit more.  What's the point of a live auctioneer if he isn't going to generate more interest than automated?  And then to have the big ashcans and that Siegel/Schuster sci-fi proto-pulp at the end, those should've near the beginning.  Still, it was an enjoyable experience and fun to watch a once in a lifetime collection sell.  

All your points have some validity except I disagree with the conclusion that the venue hurt things. I don't think Heritage would be nearly as focused on promoting low grade books as PBA has been.  The catalog for these auctions is a true delight, full of great information. The "talk up" occurred in incredible detail before the auction even started. If you aren't buying the catalogs and/or reading the descriptions on Liveauctioneers well before the auction then you are ignoring key information! I check out my target books before the auction so I don't really care about the size of the picture during the auction.  While I do agree I like having the premium amount on screen, I can ballpark it quickly. And while I also agree that the auctioneer had no idea what he was auctioning, he performed his essential function really competently and, I thought, gave more time for later bidders than other live auctioneers I've seen in the comic area. I thought the auction went smoothly, was not too rushed, and did not drag. 

Great great auction. I was traveling last week; not seeing a lot of mad bargains but still wish I'd had a go at a few of the pre-Batman Tecs. Ah well.

The finished prices as shown on the PBA auction site now *include* the BP, correct?