• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE GRADE IS IN! PGM Fantastic Four #45
3 3

22 posts in this topic

Hi,

Looking for a grade on this copy of FF 45 that's just arrived for grading - so there won't be long to wait for it to come in!   Biggest question for me here is the effect of the crease BRFC and the kind of dappled discoloration on the inside front cover.  Thanks, as always, for your time and expertise!

IMG_8836.thumb.JPG.960a2c18d69bf960347d3e8f1497d069.JPG

ScreenShot2024-03-28at5_00_38PM.thumb.png.a9efb188064311c1b25833bf5e276306.png

ScreenShot2024-03-28at5_00_48PM.thumb.png.63e9b6b7f1de063aa4e0a534c0f60057.png

ScreenShot2024-03-28at5_01_02PM.thumb.png.f3066d59c6fe07c8d82b037457eb1227.png

ScreenShot2024-03-28at5_01_15PM.thumb.png.56d1862adc726ac46e0f2123814451dc.png

IMG_8837.thumb.JPG.43c08fc9f5d5742265e025f6ec3108be.JPG

IMG_8838.thumb.JPG.23d0fd9000272afdcfecffc32ef0f6d2.JPGIMG_8839.thumb.JPG.578ed8519c12118a39ce85ef78e2b668.JPG

ScreenShot2024-03-28at5_01_58PM.thumb.png.b4a31cf96530ab0350da747b5b7a3202.png

ScreenShot2024-03-28at5_02_07PM.thumb.png.d556278aa3bc5d6f0ef16886d0d3c59d.png

ScreenShot2024-03-28at5_02_21PM.thumb.png.dccee32701462fbcc5e1b37fd25864da.png

ScreenShot2024-03-28at5_02_39PM.thumb.png.3fa62292f65b26f9415f43709cd6d75e.png

Edited by Corvonie

Crease at the top right edge, color breaking crease at lower right edge/corner, vertical color breaking crease along spine under lower staple, staples and cover wrap are off center, minor spine roll.

IMO...

7.0 FINE/VERY FINE (FN/VF):  Back to Top
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with outstanding eye appeal. A small accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear beginning to show, possibly including minor creases. Corners may be blunted. Inks are generally bright with a moderate reduction in reflectivity. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. Minor foxing. The slightest spine roll may be present, as well as a possible moderate color break. Staples may show some discoloration. Slight staple tears and a small accumulation of light stress lines may be present. Slight rust migration. Paper is cream to tan. Centerfold is mostly secure. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present.

On 3/29/2024 at 12:34 PM, marvelmaniac said:

Crease at the top right edge, color breaking crease at lower right edge/corner, vertical color breaking crease along spine under lower staple, staples and cover wrap are off center, minor spine roll.

IMO...

7.0 FINE/VERY FINE (FN/VF):  Back to Top
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with outstanding eye appeal. A small accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear beginning to show, possibly including minor creases. Corners may be blunted. Inks are generally bright with a moderate reduction in reflectivity. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. Minor foxing. The slightest spine roll may be present, as well as a possible moderate color break. Staples may show some discoloration. Slight staple tears and a small accumulation of light stress lines may be present. Slight rust migration. Paper is cream to tan. Centerfold is mostly secure. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present.

Wow, reading the definition, I get it - but I personally have never in my life seen a 7.0 that looks like this.  So interesting how different things combine to make a grade.  We'll see!  Thank you for the grade.

Posted (edited)

Seems like a consensus is building and this is a great lesson for me - post em here BEFORE I decide to send them out.  

It’s such a pretty copy I think I overlooked some flaws.

When this book likely comes back under an 8.5, it’ll probably get cracked so I can enjoy it again, how I prefer to (I usually only slab books I intend to sell).

I’ll of course share here when it comes back, and thank you all for your time and insight!

Edited by Corvonie

Update - the lovely folks at CGC added an 8.5 pre-screen to my order for me.  So this one will likely be coming back raw and I won’t have to risk damaging it by cracking it.  Thank you to everyone here for the insight and advice, and I’ll of course update here when it comes back or gets rejected during pre-screen.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:54 AM, Corvonie said:

Rejected at an 8.5 during pre-screening, so this lovely mid-high-grade copy gets to stay unslabbed for me to enjoy.  Thanks everyone!

Grader's notes were:

crease right bottom of front cover
spine stress lines

Ya buttttt look at dem Purps!

keep that one for sure 

Discoloration on interior covers indicates some sort of staining or light water contact etc.  That mixed with the bottom right crease to the front cover puts it in the 5.5 to 6.5 category, but it does show very nice for a book in that grade range.

On 4/1/2024 at 1:55 PM, Corvonie said:

Update - the lovely folks at CGC added an 8.5 pre-screen to my order for me.  So this one will likely be coming back raw and I won’t have to risk damaging it by cracking it.  Thank you to everyone here for the insight and advice, and I’ll of course update here when it comes back or gets rejected during pre-screen.

Could you explain to me how this works ...I don't understand this.....You submitted the book with a pre-screen...telling CGC don't slab it if it's not at least a 8.5 ?  ....If that is the case i suppose you still pay a certain amount for a pre-screen ?   If so ...how is it determined how much you pay for a pre-screen ?   If you don't mind me asking.......If you'd rather not get into it I understand.

On 4/8/2024 at 7:40 AM, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

Could you explain to me how this works ...I don't understand this.....You submitted the book with a pre-screen...telling CGC don't slab it if it's not at least a 8.5 ?  ....If that is the case i suppose you still pay a certain amount for a pre-screen ?   If so ...how is it determined how much you pay for a pre-screen ?   If you don't mind me asking.......If you'd rather not get into it I understand.

Since no one else has responded to you in the past 3 days, here are CGC's prescreen details from the Services & Fees page:

Grade PreScreen

Only encapsulate comic books or magazines that reach your minimum grade. There is no minimum submission requirement to select Grade PreScreen. Tier fee OR $9 per reject

On 4/11/2024 at 3:50 AM, MBFan said:

Since no one else has responded to you in the past 3 days, here are CGC's prescreen details from the Services & Fees page:

Grade PreScreen

Only encapsulate comic books or magazines that reach your minimum grade. There is no minimum submission requirement to select Grade PreScreen. Tier fee OR $9 per reject

thank you

On 4/11/2024 at 11:44 AM, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

Thank You for that..............

Hey! So sorry I didn't catch this before others did.  so yeah, you can basically tell them not to slab it if it doesn't reach a certain grade.  It prolongs the grading process sometimes, but if you're like me and you really only slab to sell or if they're so high grade you don't want to mess them up, it's a great service.