• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Complete New Adventure Run, At Long Last
10 10

162 posts in this topic

On 4/13/2024 at 12:26 AM, Crowzilla said:

copies of Action #1, 3, and 4 sitting in the original stacks next to them

No copy of #2?

Thanks again for sharing these. Hope this isn't too forward but the final book you acquired to finish the run was the 27 8.0? (unless it was an upgrade of course). If so what a great way to finish the run. That book is spectacular and when I saw it listed I had the slightest glimmer of hope of grabbing it. I was real glad to see you got it, if anyone deserved it............

On 4/13/2024 at 12:26 PM, Professor K said:

Thanks again for sharing these. Hope this isn't too forward but the final book you acquired to finish the run was the 27 8.0? (unless it was an upgrade of course). If so what a great way to finish the run. That book is spectacular and when I saw it listed I had the slightest glimmer of hope of grabbing it. I was real glad to see you got it, if anyone deserved it............

That PBA auction had a lot of great stuff in it. Prices could be high or a decent deal. Sometimes both. Can't wait for the next one which gets us into the heart of some of the superhero titles. Hopefully, the Flash 1, Superman Poster, and the S&S autographed Science Fiction get relisted. 

On 4/13/2024 at 12:26 PM, Professor K said:

Thank you.  Yes, the last book in the run that I acquired was the #27, and it was not an upgrade.

On 4/10/2024 at 7:58 AM, Silver Surfer said:

Just curious, these issues where there are no Church copies, did they ever exist? Are they recorded on Chuck's original inventory of the collection or are they missing issues? 

I was curious about this, too.

NA nos. 16, 17, 22, 27, 31 are not on the list, but the listing is incomplete. Several thousand books got sold beforehand. For example, NA nos. 15, 18-21, 29, 30 are not on the list either, but are shown or mentioned in this thread (#20 reported stolen from H. Yee).

NA Church copies nos. 23 (according to Chuck's listing: "nm"), 24 ("nm"), 25 ("nm+"), 28 ("nm+") could still be hiding somewhere.

If I got something wrong, please make corrections.

Posted (edited)
On 4/14/2024 at 3:28 AM, Pickie said:

NA nos. 16, 17, 22, 27, 31 are not on the list

I can confirm the existence of nos. 22 and 31.

On 4/14/2024 at 3:28 AM, Pickie said:

NA Church copies nos. 23 (according to Chuck's listing: "nm"), 24 ("nm"), 25 ("nm+"), 28 ("nm+") could still be hiding somewhere.

I have seen #24. It's a gorgeous copy, but has an unfortunate tear that takes it out of high grade. I've never heard anyone claiming to have seen nos. 25 and 28, but it's exciting to think they may be out there.

What's most interesting about the fact that so many New Adventures are missing from the original MH catalog is that it suggests that someone who had early access to purchasing books from the collection before the catalog was printed elected to go after the NAs rather than all the other choices available. 

Edited by RareHighGrade

On 4/14/2024 at 7:03 AM, RareHighGrade said:

I have seen #24. It's a gorgeous copy, but has an unfortunate tear that takes it out of high grade. I've never heard anyone claiming to have seen nos. 25 and 28, but it's exciting to think they may be out there.

What's most interesting about the fact that so many New Adventures are missing from the original MH catalog is that it suggests that someone who had early access to purchasing books from the collection before the catalog was printed elected to go after the NAs rather than all the other choices available. 

I believe the 24 was posted some years back by a fellow centaur fan board member from out West.  Incredible copy - I assume the tear is on the back as I seem to recall the front looking NM with blinding whites and astounding colors. Assume he stills has it.

On 4/14/2024 at 10:03 AM, RareHighGrade said:

The Carters sought out the early Tecs and it wouldn't surprise me if the also chased the New Adv. 

Did Gary ever mention anything to you about them?

On 4/14/2024 at 9:12 PM, innocuous said:

it is very easy to see that CGC's standards were different then from now.

You aren't supposed to notice that.

Mods notified. :sumo:

On 4/14/2024 at 6:08 PM, adamstrange said:

The Carters sought out the early Tecs and it wouldn't surprise me if the also chased the New Adv. 

Did Gary ever mention anything to you about them?

No, Gary never said anything to me about those books, but that's a plausible theory.

On 4/9/2024 at 9:21 AM, RareHighGrade said:
On 4/9/2024 at 8:08 AM, mwotka said:

Perhaps the high grade requirement knocks out the New run...  

It does.  I would need an unrestored copy of New Comics #2 in at least mid-grade, which doesn't exist.  I would have to title the thread: "The New Comics run in grade (except for #2)."  :sorry:

Hey Peter;

What an absolutely amazing and complete run that you have here of probably one of the two toughest early DC pre-hero runs and ALL in one place for all of us to view and salivate over.  :luhv:  :applause:

I guess you still haven't come across a nice enough copy of New Comics 2 to fit into this collection of yours yet.  Looks like the CGC census prior to this year had been sitting at only 5 Universal copies for several years running with the last one added being a CGC 0.5 Poor condition copy back in 2016.  Then this PBA CGC 2.0 graded copy was added in February of this year with another CGC 2.0 graded copy added just this past month in March.  Looks like we having a "feast" of New Comics 2 now, but still nothing above a CGC 2.0 condition grade yet, with a total of 3 copies tied for this highest grade for now.  (thumbsu

Best of luck to you in terms of finding a nice copy of New Comics 2 to complete your New Comics run, although I suspect there might be a bit of competition out there if one ever does surface.  :wishluck:

On 4/13/2024 at 11:33 AM, RareHighGrade said:

so I haven't made it a goal to collect all the issues through #39, although I really like the Flanagan covers in that run (nos. 36, 37, 38 and 39).

I think your adoring public deserves this quest to be extended to the remaining issues. 

It will help if you stay focused this time, so we don't have to wait for 30 years to see the final result.

On 4/13/2024 at 8:33 AM, RareHighGrade said:

The reason why I was so focused on completing the NA run is my love of the great Flessel covers. Similarly, his covers in the early Detective run were the original impetus for my pursuing the Tec 1-26 run,  His last Adventure cover was #33, so I haven't made it a goal to collect all the issues through #39, although I really like the Flanagan covers in that run (nos. 36, 37, 38 and 39).

Hey Peter;

Yes, those Flanagan covers are another thing of sheer and absolute beauty.  :cloud9:

Do you have any of the Adventure issues from the post Flessel Aventure covers up to #39, and if so, which ones are you missing from your collection?  hm