• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Complete New Adventure Run, At Long Last
10 10

162 posts in this topic

On 4/8/2024 at 5:53 AM, 1950's war comics said:

this is like watching something famous in real time !

Just like the Moon landing.

Edited by adamstrange

On 4/7/2024 at 9:00 PM, RareHighGrade said:

#18 represents the first surfing cover on a comic book.  This is the Church copy, which was (under)graded by CGC as a 9.0 over 20 years ago.

NewAdv.18(MH).jpg

My favorite of the run and the only one I have. Earliest surfing cover on a comic book. (worship)

On 4/8/2024 at 7:16 PM, RareHighGrade said:

The Church copy of this issue is a 9.6 that was stolen from Harley Yee’s booth several years ago and has never again resurfaced. 

Probably won't for a while if ever. :pullhair:

On 4/8/2024 at 9:16 PM, RareHighGrade said:

#20.  My copy is mid-grade.  The Church copy of this issue is a 9.6 that was stolen from Harley Yee’s booth several years ago and has never again resurfaced.  :frown:

NewAdv.20.jpg

Never noticed this one before. Cool! :applause:

What an incredible achievement!  Congrats on the run.  Curious why you chose not to include the New Comics or Adventures before 40?  I've always felt they were kind of contiguous, despite the title changes, as the first half of New Adventure seems quite stylistically similar to New and the latter half leads right into the Adventures.  Perhaps the high grade requirement knocks out the New run...  Been chasing these for years in very low grade myself, but I know that a few of these are basically unobtanium.  Still, fun to search for these rarities.  

On 4/9/2024 at 8:08 AM, mwotka said:

Perhaps the high grade requirement knocks out the New run...  

It does.  I would need an unrestored copy of New Comics #2 in at least mid-grade, which doesn't exist.  I would have to title the thread: "The New Comics run in grade (except for #2)."  :sorry:

On 4/9/2024 at 10:55 PM, RareHighGrade said:

The artwork reflects Flessel’s transition to covers with more mature and suspenseful themes.  The remaining issues in the run represent some of his best Golden Age work.

The Flessel covers throughout the run, including his Rockwell-esque covers, are really wonderful.

On 4/9/2024 at 10:04 AM, RareHighGrade said:

Issue #24 is considered by many to be a Flessel masterpiece.  I agree. 

My copy is a CGC 8.5.

Obviously, a matter of taste: But I like 23 better than 24. More drama. The guys on 24 could have just portaged their canoe, but the guy on 23 is fighting for his life. Colors on 24 are spectacular! But I prefer the simplicity and focus of 23 (which also has great colors in the sky -- and the snow really focuses the action). To be fair, both are masterpieces of the time. DC non-superhero adventure (little "a") covers are the standard for the time.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 4/9/2024 at 10:54 AM, sfcityduck said:

Obviously, a matter of taste: But I like 23 better than 24. More drama. The guys on 24 could have just portaged their canoe, but the guy on 23 is fighting for his life. Colors on 24 are spectacular! But I prefer the simplicity and focus of 23 (which also has great colors in the sky -- and the snow really focuses the action).

Can I ruin it for you?

Spoiler

WHY IS HE SMILING???