• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can CGC weigh in and let us know when this Omega deal is over and when grading times go back to normal?
1 1

21 posts in this topic

A little transparency would be nice. if the deal will eventually be over the company will basically collapse because the market is going to be flooded with junk slabs and people will have already gone to other graders because of frustration with wait times?

or at least let us know  of what is going on and update the turnaround times appropriately with a note saying why it is currently taking longer? Most of the community isn't happy right now with the hundreds of thousands of junk mystery products burning newcomers to the hobby.

Posted (edited)

Agreed, it is just harmful to the brand which is harmful to everything we have graded

Although I feel like the higher ups won't listen or care. I hope I'm mistaken.

Edited by Deltadude

Posted (edited)

The primary incentive for not using the folks in Newport Beach, whose slabs have significantly higher resale value, was CGC's fast turn-around. With now glacial turn-around and line cutting might as well crank up Zepp's "Goin' to California"

Edited by MAR1979

Posted (edited)

Fast cash grab at the expense of Brand perception, reputation, and future business.

The only folks who should be happy about the deal are the Execs using it to pad their bonus before skedaddling and PSA who is overjoyed that CGC is no longer even a viable threat of any kind...

Edited by MAR1979

Can someone explain the "Omega" thing I keep hearing about? Is it the authentication of signatures thing (like what's happened on the comic book side of things)?

I also really don't understand all the doom and gloom talk about CGC as I'm not seeing anything in the trading card market (eBay, for example) that gives off any kind of downward trend for this company...at least not for the cards I collect. Is it just complaining over the longer TaT's maybe? No one likes that, but if CGC is getting slammed with business I don't see how that's a bad thing other than we have to wait longer to get our cards graded.

Thoughts?

People just like to complain about TaTs.

Omega isn't great, but they sourced a lot of already graded junk slabs for their mystery boxes. You can tell by looking at the cert numbers.

CGC is still grading more cards YoY almost every month. Hard for them to keep up with the demand and increased popularity since the new label change. Lowering the reholder price permanently back down to $5/card also has an effect. Still hasn't even been a year since the new labels. Gonna take time for a new normal to establish in the TaTs.

But like I said, people like to complain.

On 5/22/2024 at 12:22 PM, SnorlaxCollective said:

People just like to complain about TaTs.

Omega isn't great, but they sourced a lot of already graded junk slabs for their mystery boxes. You can tell by looking at the cert numbers.

CGC is still grading more cards YoY almost every month. Hard for them to keep up with the demand and increased popularity since the new label change. Lowering the reholder price permanently back down to $5/card also has an effect. Still hasn't even been a year since the new labels. Gonna take time for a new normal to establish in the TaTs.

But like I said, people like to complain.

On the Omega thing, do they announce cert #'s before someone buys the box? I don't know how one would know beforehand what cards are in the box otherwise (sorry if this is an obvious question)

I think that the $5 reholder charge is amazing...and I totally agree this is a part of why things have slowed down.

Compared to the PSA slab (which is in SORE need of a revision I do believe) CGC's look modern and sleek. I even prefer the older blue comic-style labels to PSA's. If CGC didn't exist, I would hands-down say PSA is best out there (compared to SGC, Beckett, or anyone else) but since CGC does exist I see why their slabs are preferred and being an already-established comic book grader that easily draws the comic crowd their direction (at least in my 'case' - get it? lol).

Just because PSA has been around longer in no way makes them better...they just have an existing older and maybe larger fan-base. Give it 1-2 decades and we'll see how that looks because I'm willing to be there will be a new king of the castle in the trading card market by then if not sooner.

On 5/22/2024 at 11:50 AM, <error> said:

^

Search the web for: Omega Mystery Box

So where do they get the cards for the box? Do they sub them like all the rest of us would or what makes them popular/controversial?

I'm not a fan of mystery boxes myself but clearly this is a controversial topic but I missed the boat as to why lol. Is it a conflict of interest type thing, maybe?

On 5/22/2024 at 1:07 PM, Sensei Ryan said:

So where do they get the cards for the box? Do they sub them like all the rest of us would or what makes them popular/controversial?

I'm not a fan of mystery boxes myself but clearly this is a controversial topic but I missed the boat as to why lol. Is it a conflict of interest type thing, maybe?

I searched for Omega after you posted and don't know anything about them either. Not into "pot luck" mystery boxes but there are a lot of them, not just Omega. Other boxes for sale with PSA and BGS slabs in them too.

Don't see any problem...

On 5/22/2024 at 1:44 PM, <error> said:

I searched for Omega after you posted and don't know anything about them either. Not into "pot luck" mystery boxes but there are a lot of them, not just Omega. Other boxes for sale with PSA and BGS slabs in them too.

Don't see any problem...

I don't either which was why I was curious as to the first 4-5 posts in this thread doomsday-ing everything. This led me to believe there was something more controversial but apparently there isn't...idk lol.

Can't believe I wasted my time searching for mystery boxes today...smh
Nothing burger thread w/o fries but I did find God boxes (POKEMON MYSTERY GOD BOXES LOT PSA 10 BGS 10)...lol

On 5/22/2024 at 10:00 AM, Sensei Ryan said:

On the Omega thing, do they announce cert #'s before someone buys the box? I don't know how one would know beforehand what cards are in the box otherwise (sorry if this is an obvious question)

I think that the $5 reholder charge is amazing...and I totally agree this is a part of why things have slowed down.

Compared to the PSA slab (which is in SORE need of a revision I do believe) CGC's look modern and sleek. I even prefer the older blue comic-style labels to PSA's. If CGC didn't exist, I would hands-down say PSA is best out there (compared to SGC, Beckett, or anyone else) but since CGC does exist I see why their slabs are preferred and being an already-established comic book grader that easily draws the comic crowd their direction (at least in my 'case' - get it? lol).

Just because PSA has been around longer in no way makes them better...they just have an existing older and maybe larger fan-base. Give it 1-2 decades and we'll see how that looks because I'm willing to be there will be a new king of the castle in the trading card market by then if not sooner.

They have shown off in promotion images and videos the "big hits" and you can see the cert numbers off of those kinds of things, plus when people have made opening videos of them etc.

Maybe like 2 or 3 runs so far of boxes theyve done? Not super sure. They are always just CGC slabbed cards. I admittedly did get one when they first started showing up and pulled jack lol Was 10 slabs and only 1 was worth over $30. $200 total for the box.

One of the owners of them is a controversial figure in the hobby I think. All I know is a youtuber guy goes after him alot to the point where he got hinself sued for defamation lol

But anyways, the boxes are also a mix of old blue slabs and the new label slabs. I'm sure the company subs some cards themselves and that's what people in this thread are blaming the longer TaTs on. Omega grading bulk junk slabs.

Like most mystery bag things, it's usually a rip off for the buyer.

On 5/23/2024 at 11:50 AM, HomeGrownPoke1 said:

Guys, don't forget about the courtyard dot io GOTCHA "vending machine" bs CGC has going on as well. This is probably another reason TATs are a mess.

I ran this through Google Translate and still came up with nothing. Can you explain in easier terms what you're referring to? lol  (not the TAT part...that part I got) 

On 5/23/2024 at 9:13 PM, HomeGrownPoke1 said:

Could I have googled it? Yes...but I didn't take what you said as literally a 'courtyard.io vending machine' as I didn't realize something like this exists. I'm too old for this concept but it does sound cool. So it's like a digital vending machine where you can opt to keep cards you pull in their vault and/or resell if not happy with them...futuristic for sure but beyond me lol.

Thanks for the info - I honestly wouldn't have guess something like this existed but clearly I was wrong. I'm just a Marvel Trading Card guy after all (mostly, that is)

On 5/22/2024 at 9:07 AM, Sensei Ryan said:

I also really don't understand all the doom and gloom talk about CGC as I'm not seeing anything in the trading card market (eBay, for example) that gives off any kind of downward trend for this company...at least not for the cards I collect.

Well for starters you could look at this forum and see how unpopular it is in regards to trading cards. Or you could look at market data and see CGC slabs continue to fetch lower prices than the market leaders. The whole deal with Omega is doing nothing but giving them an increase in their total submissions per month number that they can cite on their social media while the rest of their customer base halts their submissions due to the impact on turnaround times. They also continue to publicly ingratiate themselves with social media influencers and dealers, apparently unaware of the giant conflict of interest issues that go along with that. They changed their grading scale after their product already launched and their labels were godawful. Whomever was put in charge of their card grading endeavor couldn't have possibly done a worse job.