• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Auctions June 20-23 Auction is unreal !
2 2

287 posts in this topic

On 6/24/2024 at 12:33 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

I've definitely been on the hunt for a Prohias, Spy v Spy. But also am very discouraged at the explosion in prices for them. Seems like a niche comic that will age out eventually.

It’s a silent strip so it appears to a wider audience especially outside the U S

On 6/23/2024 at 9:09 PM, delekkerste said:

I really liked this one and underbid it. Someone had left an Internet bid of $10K hammer and then either that person or someone else and I duked it out to the final price. I would have gone higher if I didn't already have one that I'm very happy with.

I have three of these early Spy vs. Spy pages framed in the hallway leading to my office.  Wall space is a scarce resource in my house, but I'm happy to allocate space to Prohias.  The recent Heritage example was a great one, and it is nice to see appreciation for these cool Mad pages.

On 6/24/2024 at 11:10 PM, mlansdown said:

I have three of these early Spy vs. Spy pages framed in the hallway leading to my office.  Wall space is a scarce resource in my house, but I'm happy to allocate space to Prohias.  The recent Heritage example was a great one, and it is nice to see appreciation for these cool Mad pages.

I prefer the top (single panel) and bottom (6 panel) Spy vs Spy gags by Prohias, prior to Mad #126. Done most times of illustration boards in two parts.

In Mad #126 and later it was just one 6 panel gags.

Are any of the Spy vs Spy ones you have Mad #125? Are any Spy vs Spy vs Spy? Proxies only did 20 with the Grey Spy.

On 6/25/2024 at 8:35 AM, batman_fan said:

Shocked by the Sal hammer.  I thought the floor for a Sal piece of work was $5k (shrug)

That SVTU page was offered to me pre-auction for $2K.  I was tempted but didn't like the middle bottom panel so passed.  I was surprised at the Heritage price as well, although there have been plenty of "bargains" on Don Perlin, Sal Buscema, Gene Colan, and John Buscema at the recent weekly Heritage auctions.  Like prices half of what I would expect to see in a dealer's portfolio at a comic art show.

On 6/25/2024 at 7:35 AM, batman_fan said:

Shocked by the Sal hammer.  I thought the floor for a Sal piece of work was $5k (shrug)

:shiftyeyes: I don't know if your'e being serious or not! Don't mock the greatness of Sal!  But I feel this page was offered before in recent years, maybe Clink or CC.  I know this is a 2nd tier title, but pages from it have gone fore more from 2nd tier artists in recent years.

On 6/25/2024 at 8:35 AM, batman_fan said:

There are numerous examples of Sal and John's work hammering for well below FMV in this auction, especially for items that ended Sunday.

Nobody commented on Kirby prices, but I thought that prices on several pieces were soft...not sure if some of this can be attributed to auction fatigue and/or the recent change in auction format but it is noticeable.

On 6/25/2024 at 7:54 AM, Lee B. said:

That SVTU page was offered to me pre-auction for $2K.

Oh, man!  I would have jumped at the opportunity if a fellow collector offered me that page at $1200 (Heritage Auction price)!  With a 3-month timed payment schedule of course (given my small time means).  A great villain page!  You got Attuma, Tiger Shark, Dr. Lorcas (I assume) and even a tiny Dr. Doom in a panel with Namor tied up and defeated is an extra bonus!  Just a sweet scene of evil!

Edited by Benedict Judas Hel

On 6/25/2024 at 6:15 AM, Brian Peck said:

I prefer the top (single panel) and bottom (6 panel) Spy vs Spy gags by Prohias, prior to Mad #126. Done most times of illustration boards in two parts.

In Mad #126 and later it was just one 6 panel gags.

Are any of the Spy vs Spy ones you have Mad #125? Are any Spy vs Spy vs Spy? Proxies only did 20 with the Grey Spy.

There are already 2 Spy vs Spy pieces listed for the September Heritage auction, and the one from issue 97 includes the grey spy (no picture yet, but the description is there)

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/complete-story/antonio-prohias-mad-97-spy-vs-spy-complete-1-page-story-original-art-ec-1965-total-2-original-art-/p/7379-63001.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

On 6/24/2024 at 3:22 PM, tth2 said:

According to some of the peanut gallery in the GA Forum, every Action 1 and Tec 27 is a "big 'wow' book", even when they're restored.

But in all seriousness, I thought the 7.0 Whiz #2 was a big "wow" book.  Unfortunately, it ended up being the poster child for what a generally disappointing auction this was for GA books.

I once had a Reader's Digest from May, 1939 (same month as Detective 27) in unrestored gem mint condition.  If rarity in condition and lack of restoration is what makes something a "wow" then I guess I should've held onto it.