• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Auctions June 20-23 Auction is unreal !
1 1

105 posts in this topic

On 4/9/2024 at 2:20 PM, cstojano said:

Yes I am waiting for people that know anything to start throwing their price estimates into this thread. 

Any estimates yourself?

I'll throw my hat in the ring with 500 on black cat and 225 on the other one.    I think the best direct comp to these is the Chamber of Chills 19 cover that sold for 174k in 2020.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/lee-elias-chamber-of-chills-19-cover-original-art-harvey-1953-/a/7234-91009.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Edited by Bronty

On 4/9/2024 at 2:34 PM, Bronty said:

I'll throw my hat in the ring with 500 on black cat and 225 on the other one.    I think the best direct comp to these is the Chamber of Chills 19 cover that sold for 174k in 2020.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/lee-elias-chamber-of-chills-19-cover-original-art-harvey-1953-/a/7234-91009.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

So this is the same comp that came to mind since it's the same type of classic image Black Cat is to comics. However, I think 250k is where this will fall roughly. I could be completely wrong, but I remember the talk when Chamber of Chills was coming up for sale. A lot of collectors were saying 500-750k. When that auction ended many said it was such a deal. If it was, I feel like plenty of offers would have been made, but when you look at the listing, there aren't any pending/rejected.

On 4/9/2024 at 2:47 PM, Captain ShipWreck said:

So this is the same comp that came to mind since it's the same type of classic image Black Cat is to comics. However, I think 250k is where this will fall roughly. I could be completely wrong, but I remember the talk when Chamber of Chills was coming up for sale. A lot of collectors were saying 500-750k. When that auction ended many said it was such a deal. If it was, I feel like plenty of offers would have been made, but when you look at the listing, there aren't any pending/rejected.

Right, I understand, and remember.

I guess I'm thinking 174 now means less than 174 then, and I also personally place BC50 at the top of the Harvey covers Elias did, but not everyone will agree.   Will be fun to watch.

On 4/9/2024 at 2:49 PM, Bronty said:

Right, I understand, and remember.

I guess I'm thinking 174 now means less than 174 then, and I also personally place BC50 at the top of the Harvey covers Elias did, but not everyone will agree.   Will be fun to watch.

I agree with you, I believe it to be the best as well - I will not be surprised if it ends up in the Halperin collection. It will be a crazy and fun auction to watch from the sidelines.

On 4/9/2024 at 2:54 PM, Captain ShipWreck said:

I agree with you, I believe it to be the best as well - I will not be surprised if it ends up in the Halperin collection. It will be a crazy and fun auction to watch from the sidelines.

Because COC19 is the only decent comp, its also hard to handicap whether it did sell cheap last time.   Certainly its striking to see a 174k sale for the original art in 2020 next to a 102k sale for a 9.6 in 2021 (and later a 72k sale on a 9.2 in 2022).   The margin of the art's results over the result of hg copies is so very slim.

That doesn't mean anything is wrong with that if that's where the supply and demand falls, but it does suggest that perhaps the 2020 sale was a bit soft.    Or maybe not, we'll see, but I'll stick with 500 for now.    That cover is one of those covers that jumped out at you when picking up the Photo Journals for the first time, and I'm guessing that translates into some additional bidding for the OA, but this is a very very difficult piece to predict.   It could be 200 and it could be 650 and it could be anything in between, IMO.

Edited by Bronty

On 4/9/2024 at 12:11 PM, Bronty said:

Because COC19 is the only decent comp, its also hard to handicap whether it did sell cheap last time.   Certainly its striking to see a 174k sale for the original art in 2020 next to a 102k sale for a 9.6 in 2021 (and later a 72k sale on a 9.2 in 2022).   The margin of the art's results over the result of hg copies is so very slim.

That doesn't mean anything is wrong with that if that's where the supply and demand falls, but it does suggest that perhaps the 2020 sale was a bit soft.    Or maybe not, we'll see, but I'll stick with 500 for now.    That cover is one of those covers that jumped out at you when picking up the Photo Journals for the first time, and I'm guessing that translates into some additional bidding for the OA, but this is a very very difficult piece to predict.

Yeah this Black Cat cover is one that makes a lot of fluff lists for people just getting into comics and comics history. 

On 4/9/2024 at 3:15 PM, cstojano said:

Yeah this Black Cat cover is one that makes a lot of fluff lists for people just getting into comics and comics history. 

Roger was one of the first to cherry pick the Harvey art hoard, from Geppi, long before Heritage took the vast remainder on 20 years ago.

On 4/9/2024 at 12:34 PM, Bronty said:

I was just going to cite that same listing. Technically speaking, the Black Cat has more going on on the cover than the COC19, and I think it's the superior illustration - but I also think that anyone with the horsepower to collect that level of art is going to see this as an incredibly rare opportunity to make a move on something that rarely shows up. I don't know if technical appearances make any sort of difference at that level.

For me, the best covers from each Harvey PCH title are CoC 23, Witches Tales 25, BCM 50, and Tomb of Terror 16 (yes, 16 not 15). To see 1/2 of them up for sale in one auction is amazing, as I’ve been trying to track down CoC 23 for over a decade. My predictions for final hammer are BCM at 250-325 and CoC at 100-125. Just my 2c.

You might be right on the money!   I tend to be optimistic when I think a piece is really special, but that doesn't always line up with the market.

On 4/9/2024 at 3:35 PM, IngelsFan said:

For me, the best covers from each Harvey PCH title are CoC 23, Witches Tales 25, BCM 50, and Tomb of Terror 16 (yes, 16 not 15). To see 1/2 of them up for sale in one auction is amazing, as I’ve been trying to track down CoC 23 for over a decade. My predictions for final hammer are BCM at 250-325 and CoC at 100-125. Just my 2c.

Based on your username this is the auction for you!

Roger owned the Witches Tales 25 as well...I'm guessing that should show up eventually in this or another auction down the line...

He also owned the cover art painting to Strange Stories from Another World 4 with the zombie rising out of the swamp water towards the viewer by Saunders...

Additionally, he owned the cover art to Chilling Tales 16 (Youthful) that came out of SD Con in the late 90s (you remember...)...I mistakenly thought that was by Hollingsworth, but after digging deeper, think it's by Joseph Szokoli...

On 4/10/2024 at 10:50 PM, TheLostDreams said:

Roger owned the Witches Tales 25 as well...I'm guessing that should show up eventually in this or another auction down the line...

He also owned the cover art painting to Strange Stories from Another World 4 with the zombie rising out of the swamp water towards the viewer by Saunders...

Additionally, he owned the cover art to Chilling Tales 16 (Youthful) that came out of SD Con in the late 90s (you remember...)...I mistakenly thought that was by Hollingsworth, but after digging deeper, think it's by Joseph Szokoli...

more great ones.  (although BCM50 is hard to beat). 

Edited by Bronty

On 4/11/2024 at 8:07 PM, batman_fan said:
On 4/11/2024 at 3:11 PM, tth2 said:

Note to self:  enter punishment bid when bidding begins.

Yes but what piece hm

Does it rhyme with Eanuts?

Es.