• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Auctions June 20-23 Auction is unreal !
1 1

105 posts in this topic

On 4/10/2024 at 7:50 PM, TheLostDreams said:

Roger owned the Witches Tales 25 as well...I'm guessing that should show up eventually in this or another auction down the line...

He also owned the cover art painting to Strange Stories from Another World 4 with the zombie rising out of the swamp water towards the viewer by Saunders...

Additionally, he owned the cover art to Chilling Tales 16 (Youthful) that came out of SD Con in the late 90s (you remember...)...I mistakenly thought that was by Hollingsworth, but after digging deeper, think it's by Joseph Szokoli...

Speaking of Chilling Tales covers, the Matt Fox ones were picked up at the same Con by Metro for $1k each….those were great days to be an OA collector.

On 4/13/2024 at 2:46 PM, adamstrange said:

Be a writer and producer for a couple mega-hit TV shows.

Co-found a collectibles auction house.

Choose to be born to a corporate raider.

etc.

Yeah but those people post HERE?

On 4/13/2024 at 1:14 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Some do. And there are plenty of boardies that have the means to chase these pieces as well. Whether they are willing to, or see it as a worthwhile ROI, is the bigger question.

On 4/13/2024 at 4:08 PM, kimik said:

Some do. And there are plenty of boardies that have the means to chase these pieces as well. Whether they are willing to, or see it as a worthwhile ROI, is the bigger question.

Crazy money. Just crazy.

On 4/13/2024 at 4:17 PM, kimik said:

Definitely. They have earned it though through smart investing or successfully starting and building businesses.

Oh, of that I have no doubt. I just look at my own bank account, which is doing the best it ever has, and it's fathoms below these levels we're talking about. Lol.

"Oh, I love the Porsche in this commercial!" *calls up dealership and gives debit card number, has it delivered the next day*

On 4/13/2024 at 1:14 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

I am getting close to hitting 60.  Came from a very poor family but went to college majoring in engineering. At this point my salary has gone up over 100x since I graduated which affords me more discretionary spending. 

On 4/13/2024 at 6:25 PM, batman_fan said:

For reference

Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 4.24.17 PM.png

I know the card and am familiar with both versions. A lot of the roughs looked different from the finished versions. Here's a better scan of what I posted before. It could be something different but it is marked as card 11 and aliens are killing humans with guns.

11_marsattacksport_wood.jpg

On 4/13/2024 at 3:29 PM, batman_fan said:

I am getting close to hitting 60.  Came from a very poor family but went to college majoring in engineering. At this point my salary has gone up over 100x since I graduated which affords me more discretionary spending. 

100x. That's like 20k to 2 million! I find that the further advanced I get and the more I make the less I actually do. 

On 4/13/2024 at 5:00 PM, Captain ShipWreck said:

I know the card and am familiar with both versions. A lot of the roughs looked different from the finished versions. Here's a better scan of what I posted before. It could be something different but it is marked as card 11 and aliens are killing humans with guns.

11_marsattacksport_wood.jpg

I was just posting it so people knew what the card 11 image looked like.

On 4/13/2024 at 7:01 PM, cstojano said:

I find that the further advanced I get and the more I make the less I actually do. 

This is why I declined a management path. I just couldn't envision being at the peak of my skills, tools and knowledge and then parking it all to sit behind a desk and sign operational orders and run career boards.

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 4/13/2024 at 6:01 PM, KirbyCollector said:

This is why I declined a management path. I just couldn't envision being at the peak of my skills, tools and knowledge and then parking it all to sit behind a desk and sign operational orders and run career boards.

I manage over 100 people but still do design work.  It is more challenging because of all the interruptions but I do it so I understand peoples challenges and issues better.

On 4/13/2024 at 8:25 PM, batman_fan said:

I manage over 100 people but still do design work.  It is more challenging because of all the interruptions but I do it so I understand peoples challenges and issues better.

Unfortunately in my old line of work, once you moved to management you stopped doing any real work. The absence of the ability to create at that level was a deal breaker for me.

On 4/13/2024 at 7:03 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Unfortunately in my old line of work, once you moved to management you stopped doing any real work. The absence of the ability to create at that level was a deal breaker for me.

I think how it works really depends on the company and industry.  Other people at the same levels me have only a marginal idea what their people do.

On 4/13/2024 at 5:49 PM, szav said:

That's the beauty of these boards and the hobby in general.  Where else can princes and upper middle-class paupers rub elbows together in such a way?

:gossip:Just don't post your latest Garfield OA wins if you want to be taken seriously, Or do post them if you don't care whether you're taken seriously or not.  Or just sit back and watch a lot of people take themselves too seriously. I find the OA sub-forum probably the most entertaining section of these boards.

I would love to see a Garfield collection.