• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC graded Pulps - my first experience and results.
3 3

139 posts in this topic

On 5/6/2024 at 12:38 PM, waaaghboss said:

Reposting this, it's a pair of early 40s amazing stories. 

(thumbsu The lighter color pages look amazing!  Is it a Yakima?

On 5/6/2024 at 12:38 PM, waaaghboss said:

One of my unrelated submissions got white pages, and they are pretty, but scanning various pulp slabs I've only seen a few with white pages so it would be tough to aim for that imp.

Fortunately, there're more options than just "C-OW" and "W"! lol

It'll be interesting to see if slabbed pulp collectors start gravitating towards "OW" or better like many slabbed comic collectors did.

I’ve said it before but pulp paper is never “white” even off the roll at the time of printing. At best “off white”. So, technically that is about the best it comes. Pulp paper yellows in time. Quicker in less than optimal situations. Then progresses from there. 

Even some of the brownest pulp stock can still be really thick and supple.  I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water because of page color.  Conversely, you can find some middle tones that are dry and brittle. (shrug)

I don't doubt the high end collectors will concern themselves with page color, but there's probably not going to be a lot of options when it comes to earlier books in high grade.  We'll see!

On 5/6/2024 at 11:28 PM, Darwination said:

I don't doubt the high end collectors will concern themselves with page color, but there's probably not going to be a lot of options when it comes to earlier books in high grade.  We'll see!

Thus far, it's not like every slabbed pulp from the 30s is C-OW or worse. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 8:06 PM, Robot Man said:

Nice books and great results. These are the type of books I am focusing on grading now. Higher grade classics that still fall into the bottom tier. For now…

Did they all come back in those real thick slabs?

No they are all pretty regular size pulps just made to allow the overhangs.They basically look like comic slabs maybe just a little room to allow the pulp i don't think i have any thick pulps.I did see what you were talking about the slabs moving in the well but nothing with this bunch.

Edited by comicjack

On 5/21/2024 at 8:15 PM, comicjack said:

No they are all pretty regular size pulps just made

Those are awesome. How many pedigrees of pulps has CGC recognized?

I need to put together a submission. I’ve got tons from the “old dead guy” collection I’d like to submit. 

On 5/21/2024 at 8:26 PM, ThothAmon said:

Those are awesome. How many pedigrees of pulps has CGC recognized?

I need to put together a submission. I’ve got tons from the “old dead guy” collection I’d like to submit. 

Yakima seems to be the one i have seen but sure more will follow.I just wanted see how they turned out pretty happy with the results !

On 5/21/2024 at 7:34 PM, comicjack said:

I sent a bunch down all coming back with happy results they look great in the slabs.The results are just positive with many with great page quality and some being highest graded for now we know how that goes lol

Great stuff, Jack!  :applause: