• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC graded Pulps - my first experience and results.
3 3

169 posts in this topic

On 5/25/2024 at 6:37 AM, comicjack said:

Underrated cover with no good girl but a creepy cover came back a little better than my thinking.Not bad for a pulp from 1939 and a cover that stirs the mind looking at it

image.thumb.jpeg.0484ff4da8b975b26f49e8fa2e51d582.jpeg

Finally a truly classic cover accurately designated by CGC.

On 5/25/2024 at 11:08 AM, Darwination said:

I've got a nice copy of this one, too.  Think it's a hot pulp.  Keeping mine, though.  Love the Bettie looking femme against the red, and I like it when a girlie dishes it out, too.  This isn't your usual smug George Gross schmoe getting sat on.

Sure you saw the copy missing back replaced with cardboard on an HA first copy i have seen in twenty five years.The family can sell it someday i like it to much at this point 

On 5/25/2024 at 3:43 PM, comicjack said:

I've got a nice copy of this one, too.  Think it's a hot pulp.  Keeping mine, though.  Love the Bettie looking femme against the red, and I like it when a girlie dishes it out, too.  This isn't your usual smug George Gross schmoe getting sat on.

Sure you saw the copy missing back replaced with cardboard on an HA first copy i have seen in twenty five years.The family can sell it someday i like it to much at this point 

Thanks a lot guys, now I'm going to need one too.  :pullhair:

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2024 at 3:59 PM, Point Five said:

Thanks a lot guys, now I'm going to need one too.  :pullhair:

That is the thing with this hobby you need it; you want it it never stops lol

Edited by comicjack

Detective Book Magazine is another title with some awesome covers sprinkled among the more run-of-the-mill ones. Here's a cool 1930 DBM I used to own, now sadly sold (the image here is pilfered from philsp.com, but the chippy corners look so familiar, this may have actually been my copy).

detective_book_193008.jpg.e56cea43e08e126147caf2e9a72e4b5f.jpg

I picked up two copies recently from s bookstore along with several others. Unfortunately both have some restoration on the spine. :facepalm:

On 5/27/2024 at 1:12 PM, AnkurJ said:

I picked up two copies recently from s bookstore along with several others. Unfortunately both have some restoration on the spine. :facepalm:

Still worth some cash even restored one must take what one can get (thumbsu

On 5/29/2024 at 10:11 AM, comicjack said:

This came back a little better than i was thinking so i am happy with the  results until the next submit.

Huh, yeah. Seems like a lot of tide lines for a 5.0! Still looks really good tho.  (thumbsu

On 5/29/2024 at 7:11 AM, comicjack said:

Last book in the submit just because you can was the reason behind this one.The cover is a classic good girl art and a Halloween fav for pulp guys who doesn't love a witch like that.This came back a little better than i was thinking so i am happy with the  results until the next submit.

image.thumb.jpeg.258faad236ac66269403fdb5b1ed4013.jpeg

Nice pulp! I love GGA and collect Halloween comics and pulps. This is one of my favorites. The more folks see it the more crowed the room gets. A word of advice, be patient when looking for a copy. I have owned at least 5 of these in the past few years. Although very popular these days, also very common. Obviously less and less as it gets more attention. But, a patient collector should be able to pick up a nice affordable copy. 

On 5/29/2024 at 11:18 AM, Robot Man said:

Nice pulp! I love GGA and collect Halloween comics and pulps. This is one of my favorites. The more folks see it the more crowed the room gets. A word of advice, be patient when looking for a copy. I have owned at least 5 of these in the past few years. Although very popular these days, also very common. Obviously less and less as it gets more attention. But, a patient collector should be able to pick up a nice affordable copy. 

Got that one for a bargain so nothing to lose by grading it and it has been on the watchlist of many.The submission has been fun not sure i would do it again the main reason i did it was both those skull covers by Lawrence.I have some that are worthy but the room to store them is a problem the wife is looking at me funny when i get a box in the mail.lol

On 5/29/2024 at 10:08 AM, ThothAmon said:

:applause:I’ve never heard it described better. 

Better "tide lines" than creases - solid structure -I can go with a 5.0 here, I suppose, but would say 4.5 or VG- or "solid VG", lol.  Still so hard to sort out the grading for pulps. 

If I see anybody calling this Startling Stories "#61", though, I'm slappin' ya :slapfight:

Who did this cover? Do we know? It's in a string of Bergeys, but I don't necessarily see it (and I admit I'm not always good with the Bergey SF stuff).  A quick search didn't turn up attribution on the web, but surely this has been reproduced in many of the art books...