• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2024 Grading Contest Spring Edition Season 3 (#10) Round 1
21 21

173 posts in this topic

On 4/23/2024 at 8:11 AM, Mr. Zipper said:

Frankly, I would have graded it the same (9.0) whether it was foxing or some other sort of stain. I don't see this as a miss on your part, Mike. :foryou: 

According to the CGC Grading Guide foxing is allowed up to 9.8, but I would have assumed that in higher grades that would mean a very small and light spot of foxing that is barely visible. I never would have thought that a large and moderately dark spot could go to 9.6. 

Agreed with all. I can get behind CGC’s grading philosophy the vast majority of the time, and even when I don’t quite sync up I can understand the underlying logic. But the pretend-it’s-not-there policy re foxing is puzzling, and IMO one of their biggest misses.

On 4/23/2024 at 8:06 AM, Point Five said:

biggest misses.

I graded the book 9.6. I admit I missed the foxing. That's different than overlooking it. But I'm grading these books outside, on my phone and without my readers. Guess I'm lucky like the bloke whose book this is.

On 4/23/2024 at 9:33 AM, grendelbo said:
On 4/23/2024 at 9:06 AM, Point Five said:

biggest misses.

I graded the book 9.6. I admit I missed the foxing. That's different than overlooking it. But I'm grading these books outside, on my phone and without my readers. Guess I'm lucky like the bloke whose book this is.

I too blundered into a happy, graded it 9.6 and my only bullseye the Power Girl I believe. (thumbsu

I have no idea what I'm doing........The stain thing has me confused........I had 7 points on 4 books ....but The Power Girl......the stain....I read an 8.0 has no obvious staining ????   So I thought must be lower because to me it was obvious that it was a stain......but I guess it's not a stain ?  Maybe it is ...I still don't know.....anyways I hear they hammer stains.....so I give it a ....Drum Roll.....6.5    O.M.G......h aha ah aha ha .........O.K.  so now I think a book can have a stain and be a 9.8........so it has to be a bad stain or you just kind of ignore it........O.K.   so I'll  go with that for now until next time i screw something up about stains and learn something different about them again.

On 4/23/2024 at 5:58 AM, CGC Mike said:

It's hard to choose which notes that I should include with the books.  My current rule is, if I can see the defect, I do not note it.  With that said, I suppose that there are exceptions to every rule.

image.png

CGC is extremely harsh on stains where as they are less harsh on natural tanning/foxing although typically a bit harsher then they were on this one.  I basically just split my grade down the middle as it could have been an 8.0/8.5 from a stain or a 9.4 (max in my opinion) from more natural foxing.

On 4/23/2024 at 9:37 AM, Nschenks said:

Is this true? CGC 9.8's can have minor foxing?

The Official CGC Guide to Grading Comics does not mention foxing on the write up for 9.8.  The write up for 9.6 specifically says "the presence of one very small light stain, such as a spot of foxing" is allowed.  The table of defects also seems to have foxing top out at 9.6.

On 4/23/2024 at 3:16 PM, Cerebus3000 said:

The Official CGC Guide to Grading Comics does not mention foxing on the write up for 9.8.  The write up for 9.6 specifically says "the presence of one very small light stain, such as a spot of foxing" is allowed.  The table of defects also seems to have foxing top out at 9.6.

This is correct. Foxing tops out at 9.6 and "stain" tops out at 9.8. I conflated staining and foxing in my original post.