• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Excited for my first submission to CGC in over 10 years! Follow along with the fun! :)
2 2

13 posts in this topic

I remember Roger and his stores very well. For decades he had a store on 14th street between 7th and 8th avenue and you had to walk upstairs to get into it. As soon as you walked in there was an old beat up couch inside the store. I asked him one day why he had the couch in the store. He said that when he first opened adults could rest on the couch while their kids browsed through the boxes of comics. Now twenty years later with the demographic changes in who bought old comics the reversed happened. Now he said the kids rest on the couch while their parents look through the boxes and buy old comics. He moved the store to 6th Avenue near 9th street but I'm pretty sure that store closed years ago. He was an old time comics guy who had a cool personality and his type of store is definitely missed.

I would recommend that you reinforce the books with extra backing boards. I have been doing this based on a suggestion from my brother. He felt that the books were getting small light creases from being handled in receiving and before the graders get a hold of them. We both have noticed an uptick in higher grades since we started. 

On 4/14/2024 at 7:01 PM, comicartfan said:

I would recommend that you reinforce the books with extra backing boards. I have been doing this based on a suggestion from my brother. He felt that the books were getting small light creases from being handled in receiving and before the graders get a hold of them. We both have noticed an uptick in higher grades since we started. 

Well this is just insane. I hear you, and YOU'RE not insane. But it's insane the people who are grading your books could be mishandling them that often. Of course stuff happens here and there, we are all humans.. mostly.

On 4/13/2024 at 7:44 PM, Hschwartz said:

I remember Roger and his stores very well. For decades he had a store on 14th street between 7th and 8th avenue and you had to walk upstairs to get into it. As soon as you walked in there was an old beat up couch inside the store. I asked him one day why he had the couch in the store. He said that when he first opened adults could rest on the couch while their kids browsed through the boxes of comics. Now twenty years later with the demographic changes in who bought old comics the reversed happened. Now he said the kids rest on the couch while their parents look through the boxes and buy old comics. He moved the store to 6th Avenue near 9th street but I'm pretty sure that store closed years ago. He was an old time comics guy who had a cool personality and his type of store is definitely missed.

haha yes! I went up there many times. Cool guy. I don't recall the couch but I believe it. haha. I would have frequented there around 2008-2012 or so

On 4/15/2024 at 3:21 PM, jcjames said:

Great books! :golfclap:

Take better pictures/scans of front and back - document everything. Maybe even first page and centerfold. 

Good luck! (thumbsu

Craps-Star-Trek-TNG.gif

Welp, they're already off. But I do have higher resolution pics than what is posted here :)