• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2024 Grading Contest Spring Edition Season 3 (#10) Round 3
13 13

194 posts in this topic

Bulls on the Spidey 79 and the Next men; 1 off on the Flash, and 2 off on the Cap and SW... 5 pts

Was very interested with what the SW book with the rusty staples would grade...hm

Posted (edited)

The only one I felt completely helpless on was the Secret Wars.  I had zero clue how much of a hit a book that looked otherwise nice would take from just those staples.

I blind guessed 7.0

Edited by Axelrod

On 4/30/2024 at 7:25 PM, paqart said:

2 buls-eyes and a total of 4 points. If only the other two rounds went as well. To have a shot at 6th, I may need perfect scores from now on.

All contests. There is only one perfect score. Maybe two.  Very pure 🍀 luck.

On 4/30/2024 at 8:21 PM, zzutak said:

Yeah, this stumped me as well.  It doesn't seem straight enough to be a color-breaking crease, it's too wide in spots to be a simple scratch, and it's wholly contained within the yellow portion of the coupon (so it's probably not scanner related).  I haven't seen this anomaly on other copies of this issue, so it's probably not a printing plate defect, and ink roller blemishes are generally not diagonal.

I think because it's contained wholly in the yellow section that it's just the interior back cover design visible. I'd need a copy of that book to confirm my  suspicion hm

3 bullseyes and 1 off but the SW 8 was a complete guess at 7.0 so 3 points for the round.  I’ve seen perfect books get a 6.0 but the staples were very ugly.  I bet it would have gotten 7.0 or worse if it was visible from the outside.

On 4/30/2024 at 5:28 PM, WilliamLunt said:

I'd need a copy of that book to confirm my suspicion hm

I just checked the two scans available on Heritage.  I was wrong -- both copies have this same blemish!  doh!

On 4/30/2024 at 8:38 PM, zzutak said:

I just checked the two scans available on Heritage.  I was wrong -- both copies have this same blemish!  doh!

I looked and each of the high grade copies had that weird scratch mark on the back.  Sure made me take a few looks.