• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LB Cole Romance Poll Complaints
4 4

28 posts in this topic

On 4/17/2024 at 3:21 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I thought conducting this poll was a public service.

well, it was...until THIS

On 4/17/2024 at 1:05 PM, adamstrange said:

I think this is a good teenager cover, but I still consider a lesser effort from Cole. 

It's unnecessarily busy, the color design is rather drab, and the gal in the green suit has an unattractive face.

I'm stupified!

On 4/17/2024 at 10:35 AM, pmpknface said:

Ok..  1 other opinion....  this one:

257025.jpg.2f53353ac04d35efa9f18e3986bcc

But is it really a romance cover?  

This is one of the ones that I include as a romance book, but Michelle Nolan does not.  She counts this title from #9 on.

A masterpiece, I tell ya

Edited by Dr. Love

Posted (edited)
On 4/17/2024 at 8:39 PM, Dr. Love said:

I'm stupified!

Maybe you should have stopped after the second drink? (:

Edited by adamstrange

I guarantee the blonde would make the better girlfriend :gossip:

I haven't read any of the early ones, and it's been a while since I read Love on the Racks (if that's where Michelle talks about it), but I'm totally under the impression from the covers that there's a hard swerve from teen to romance.  Can't judge a book by its cover, though, and thumbing through the first few issues it looks like a mix of melodrama and comedy.  Can be kind of hard to draw a strict line between teen and romance stuffs (shrug)

Pretty sure I didn't vote for it, but I do think it's funny :D

On 4/17/2024 at 12:46 AM, adamstrange said:

Flaming Western Romance 5

We just nominated a Western photo cover for the Top 20 :facepalm:

Even worse, we're giving it votes :cry:

When  started collecting romance in earnest, I set out to capture the available data and construct my database. Love on the Racks was the only feasible way to do that, then and now. 

But I didn't always agree with Nolan's choices on what to include.  In her Appendix: Catalog of American Romance Comics, she included Avon's Betty & Her Steady; Charlton's Nurse Betty Crane and Dr. Tom Brent, Young Intern; Dell's Private Secretary; Atlas' Night Nurse; etc.  I did not.

But I did include the first four issues of Popular Teen-Agers, which Nolan did not. Not because of content- it's clearly teen humour. But I drew the line at getting that granular within the title.  You want to change things up, give it a different title which all of them did at the drop of a hat.  Otherwise - you're on my list, buddy!

Edited by Dr. Love