• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats the best comic you have ever read?
1 1

233 posts in this topic

Since reading a long article about it in either Back Issue or CBG I've wanted to read Vietnam Journal. I finally tracked down 1-6 on Ebay and I'm hooked.

This is one of the best comics ever made IMHO and I can't wait to get the remaining issues. The fact that writer/artist Don Lomax is a Vietnam vet adds a degree of authenticity to the whole thing, but it is just a great book, full of pathos, tragedy, humour and action. It also manages to tread the fine line between being pro or anti the conflict, I would say that it is pro servicemen but anti war, which I don't have a problem with.

I believe that there are trades available of this and I heartily recommend it. Of the few issues I have so far read, issue 5 is a standout, but they are all great.

Edited by Whizzer

Death of Gwen Stacy!

It was one of the most moving and well told two stories I read that hooked me on Spider-Man. I picked up the Marvel Tales Double Size issue that collected both stories at the store and read it many times. Classic!

Edited by Richard R

Brand new here. I started reading comics in the late 1970s, and moved to collecting back issues only by the mid-80s. Most of my collection is in the 1964-1986 range from all publishers.

One of my favorites has always been Pat Boyette. His style is unique and his storytelling fantastic. It is hard to pick a favorite, but a contender is Charlton Premiere #2 Children of Doom! I can't say I've ever seen a book like it.

Not to be cliche in recent times, but to be fair the single best comic I've ever read was The Walking Dead 48. I don't think I've ever read a more dismal piece of story telling that actually had me excited, angry, and sick to my stomach at the same time. I mean, a splash with a mother and infant getting shot dead takes the cake for me.

DD 181. An issue of Gotham Central (26?) where Montoya takes it outside with another cop was the most visceral reading experience I ever had. I know, I named a 2nd book, but people should check it out. Scariest comic ever is the Alan Moore Swamp Thing with underwater vampires...I still get freaked out when I think about it all these years later.

Edited by Bird

I started reading comics on a monthly basis in 1972 (Fantastic Four #126) and stopped buying books (on a regular basis, any way) in 2004. As you can imagine, in that time I have ready many a great story. Yes, some of those stories were great to a ten or twelve year-old boy but they were great nonetheless. Here are a few of my favorites (for those who care - and in no particular order, except I saved my favorite for last).

Fantastic Four #126 - It retold their origin and started the magic for me.

Fantastic Four #149 - Back in the early 70's Reed and Sue Richards were heading for a divorce which was eventually derailed by the selfless actions of a very sly Namor (with an assist from Triton of the Inhumans). Really amazing stuff for me at that time.

Spider-Man #121 - The death of Gwen Stacy. I had never seen a death like this in comics.

Uncanny X-Men - The whole Dark Phoenix Saga was amazing as was the build-up to it. Jean's death at the end blew me away.

Dark Knight Returns - I don't think I need to add anything here.

Frank Miller's original Daredevil run. Wonderful storytelling throughout (by the way, whatever happened to the Gladiator?).

The Watchmen. I read it after the buzz started building and it didn't disappoint.

And, while I am sure I am surely forgetting a great many tales, arguably my favorite story is Amazing Spider-Man #248's "The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man". A simple tale of what truly makes one a hero. I never saw it coming and I never forgot it.

The single most exciting comic book you have ever read?

That's easy.

It was my very FIRST comic I ever purchased as a 10 year old in 1970.

The pure joy and excitement as I read it was indescribable. To this day, I've never forgotten how I felt when I read that Silver Surfer 18. Marveling (no pun intended) at the story of Stan Lee and artwork of Jack "King" Kirby left a real impression on me.

In fact, it was this particular comic book that ignited my passion for comic books and collecting, and the feeling has never left me! :cloud9:

Z-SilverSurferComicBook.jpg

I think about this question a lot and I can never come up with an answer, I can think of great runs on comics which have defined my reading and collecting passion but I can never say this was the issue, this is what did it for me. I sometimes feel bad about that like everyone else has that comic but I don't, then I think maybe I'm still looking for that comic. Maybe that's what it's all about for me, finding that perfect, ultimate comic and that journey will continue until I find it. I'm not sure how it will end or even if it will end but until then the search happily continues (thumbs u

Well, since I'm a huge Daredevil fan, I'm almost obliged to pick a Miller book. But I won't. They are great, especially #181.

I don't think we give enough love to Volume 2 though. So, I'm almost obliged to pick a book from the tremendous Bendis/Maleev run. But I won't.

Instead, I'm going with issue #51 (Echo: Part 1) written and illustrated by David Mack. It's a beautiful story perfectly illustrated (as only a writer/artist can do) that stands out from all the others. It's not an exciting story, or particularly dramatic. Really, no fighting at all. But what it does is make you think, lke the child the story is told about, and the woman she later became. It was so good, I continue to think about it from time to time. If you read #51, make sure you read the next 4 to complete the story.

165455.jpg

51-page02-large.jpg

The best comic I've ever read is:

Cruel and Unusual Punishment #2

DG

Is that the awesome comic with the Crack Babies on the back cover?

I'd love to have that original art.

Hi Dave

Yeah... the comic I spent a year looking for based upon only a scan of the back cover!!!

I have two Brunetti pieces of original art from "Haw!" I am pretty sure "Crack Babies" is long gone. You should write him and ask for a back cover recreation.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=561150

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=561132

Cruel and Unusual Punishment #2 offers other wonderful pieces like "Furry World" & "The Safe-T's" from other creators. I hurt from laughing after reading it.

DG

Cant pick a single issue, but I'd have to say the Batman Hush story arc was amazing. Loved the art, the concept, the writing, the integration of characters, it's phenominal.All Star Batman and Robin was also great. If i had to pick a single issue, Justice League 1 from new 52, likely because its the most recent single issue that I can think of. I'm sure there are plenty of other older ones though too...