• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poll: How old are collectors?
3 3

How old are comic collectors?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. Let’s see how old comic collectors are

• 14 and under
    • 15 to 19
    • 20 to 24
    • 25 to 29
    • 30 to 34
    • 35 to 39
    • 40 to 44
    • 45 to 49
    • 50 to 54
    • 55 to 59
    • 60 to 64
    • 65 to 69
    • 70 and older

182 posts in this topic

On 5/1/2024 at 11:24 AM, Doctor Dositheus said:

I think they would mostly be working digitally. Will the computer files they created have value in the future? hm

This scenario is one of only a few ways I could imagine NFTs as a legitimate tradeable commodity.

On 5/1/2024 at 8:24 AM, fast eddie said:

It's funny...... at the Atlanta comic show a few weeks ago, I mentioned I was a retired paperboy and would be good to give correct change to a dealer,,, the guy next to me piped in "I was a paperboy as well,,,I wonder how many of us were"  Made me think about it a minute,,,, probably quite a few of us!

:hi:

On 4/30/2024 at 6:22 PM, thehumantorch said:

Actually, I think they're hurting my knees, every time I lift a long box.

Short boxes are the way to go, especially with modern books. I have not owned a long box in years.

Delivering the Valley Times was my first job.  I "inherited" the route from the older kid who had it when he asked me if I wanted it.  I learned a lot about myself, including that I had an unreasoning fear of large, aggressive dogs who liked to chase bikes.  I don't know if this was a common practice, but I had to collect once a month from everyone on my route rather than the subscribers paying directly to the paper.  I think it was $0.35 a month.  That's how I found out I was too shy to ask people for money or overcome objections and would never be a successful salesman.

On 5/1/2024 at 4:25 AM, DougC said:

In short; comic collecting has become an expensive hobby exacerbated by fads and grifting that newer generations of collectors do not seem to have the same initial naivety to fall for and are happy to wait out the hype and buy only what they like at low cost. 

Smart!

(thumbsu

On 5/1/2024 at 11:24 AM, Doctor Dositheus said:

I think they would mostly be working digitally. Will the computer files they created have value in the future? hm

That may be the case. Some displayed their hand-done boards but would not sell. 

On 5/1/2024 at 11:39 AM, MattTheDuck said:

I don't know if this was a common practice, but I had to collect once a month from everyone on my route rather than the subscribers paying directly to the paper. 

Collecting from customers and then paying the bill at the newspaper's office was standard practice in those days. I had to do it weekly delivering the London Free Press which was published six days a week. Was the Valley Times a daily or a weekly?

???

On 5/1/2024 at 8:54 AM, Hepcat said:

Collecting from customers and then paying the bill at the newspaper's office was standard practice in those days. I had to do it weekly delivering the London Free Press which was published six days a week. Was the Valley Times a daily or a weekly?

???

It's a weekly - should have noted that.  Incredibly, this paper still exists, although I think it's primarily on-line and is part of a large local newspaper chain here.

On 5/1/2024 at 10:13 AM, Ken Aldred said:

My hobbies are all age-appropriate for a new sexagenarian; comic books, videogames, and competitive skateboarding.

One of these is a lie.

I'm guessing skateboarding. So what video games do you enjoy in your 70s?

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 12:13 PM, Ken Aldred said:

My hobbies are all age-appropriate for a new sexagenarian; comic books, videogames, and competitive skateboarding.

One of these is a lie.

Indeed. You're too old for videogaming.

(tsk)

Edited by Hepcat

On 5/1/2024 at 8:39 AM, MattTheDuck said:

Delivering the Valley Times was my first job.  I "inherited" the route from the older kid who had it when he asked me if I wanted it.  I learned a lot about myself, including that I had an unreasoning fear of large, aggressive dogs who liked to chase bikes.  I don't know if this was a common practice, but I had to collect once a month from everyone on my route rather than the subscribers paying directly to the paper.  I think it was $0.35 a month.  That's how I found out I was too shy to ask people for money or overcome objections and would never be a successful salesman.

Valley Times? In Beaverton? I was a paper boy for the Community Press for 2 months. Suffered through the same anxiety as you did, however the Press was voluntary payments so I had many people chewing me out saying they were not going to pay and why was I dropping it off at their house in the first place? On my last day delivering I dumped all of my papers in a vacant lot.

On 5/1/2024 at 9:49 AM, CitrusZ28 said:

Valley Times? In Beaverton? I was a paper boy for the Community Press for 2 months. Suffered through the same anxiety as you did, however the Press was voluntary payments so I had many people chewing me out saying they were not going to pay and why was I dropping it off at their house in the first place? On my last day delivering I dumped all of my papers in a vacant lot.

Yep same gig.  I was trying to remember when they became community newspapers and whether it was just deliver to everyone and hope they paid rather than chewing you out and I’m sure you’re right.  Failure can teach something valuable.

On 5/1/2024 at 5:28 PM, thehumantorch said:

rats, I thought that was my bowtie 

The chafing can confuse.

On 5/1/2024 at 5:32 PM, grendelbo said:

I'm guessing skateboarding. So what video games do you enjoy in your 70s?

60s.

Currently playing Yakuza 3, 4 and 5 in the PS4 Remastered Collection, which are brilliant, although my time on them is limited these days as I’m more focused on owning the teens and twenty-somethings with my acrobatic tricks on the Half-pipe.

On 5/1/2024 at 11:27 AM, Ken Aldred said:

60s.

Currently playing Yakuza 3, 4 and 5 in the PS4 Remastered Collection, which are brilliant, although my time on them is limited these days as I’m more focused on owning the teens and twenty-somethings with my acrobatic tricks on the Half-pipe.

I hear you. I'm Nintendo for life, but Fortnite has been my bag for a couple of years. I'm closing in on 50 and it gives me great satisfaction with every victory that some little teen noob is crying in his SpaghettiOs. :yeehaw: