• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC x JSA Questions
3 3

54 posts in this topic

Question: I have a Jeph Loeb book signed by him where he wrote the year ('2022') next to his sig that I want to submit. Would that sort of additional writing (similar to like a Stan Lee Excelsior etc) affect things? 

• Administrator
On 5/10/2024 at 7:55 AM, Jjshiffs86 said:

Hey there! I have a book on the way to you guys for the jsa authentication. I also added the custom nyc Spidey label. Can it be put on there with the new black and yellow label?

Currently, we do not have custom labels available for the CGCxJSA service but we are working on these. Once this arrives, our team will contact you with the possible options. Depending on when these labels are set to arrive we may allow for this to be held but I can not confirm this for certain until our team has reviewed your submission in house. Thanks for your patience. 

I have a local con coming up where JSA will be there, but CGC will not and there will be no CGC authorized facilitator. Will JSA be allowed to witness a signature for me so I can get a traditional signature series label, or will I be forced to submit with authentication by JSA after the fact?

On 5/10/2024 at 8:54 AM, smarkjobber said:

@MattM CS,

Still interested in a clarification on this:

"If this book was submitted and the autograph is authentic, but it is determined that the sketch will negatively impact the overall grade of the comic, the comic will receive a CGC Qualified green label. Alternatively, if it is determined that the sketch will not negatively impact the grade of the comic, the comic will receive the CGC x JSA Authentic Autograph label."

What determines the negative impact?

@MattM CS Any update? Would love to make some submissions but don't want to risk it until the position on sketches/remarks is clarified... Thanks!

• Administrator
On 5/13/2024 at 2:37 PM, Ben_Reilly said:

I have a local con coming up where JSA will be there, but CGC will not and there will be no CGC authorized facilitator. Will JSA be allowed to witness a signature for me so I can get a traditional signature series label, or will I be forced to submit with authentication by JSA after the fact?

JSA does have a witnessed service they can provide at shows that CGC will not be attending. Be sure to discuss this with them directly at their booth. They will witness the book's signing and receive a special JSA WPP COA Sticker. When this book is then later submitted through CGC with the JSA Authentication service added it will then receive a full yellow Sig Series Label.

I have a question.

1. Will JSA Locations (1 in NJ, 1 in FL) become CGC drop off locations? 

1a. If it is a drop off location, will it only be a drop off for books with signatures that need to be verified, or also unsigned books?

Thanks!

• Administrator
On 5/15/2024 at 10:08 AM, Loug2 said:

I have a question.

1. Will JSA Locations (1 in NJ, 1 in FL) become CGC drop off locations? 

1a. If it is a drop off location, will it only be a drop off for books with signatures that need to be verified, or also unsigned books?

Thanks!

Great questions! At this time, these JSA offices will not become CGC dropoff sites. That said, this may be offered in the future but there is no timeline on when this could be announced. Be sure to follow us on social media and be signed up for our announcement emails so if this is announced you will be among the first to know about this change. Thanks for checking! 

How will this effect that old thorn in my side; third party signed and authenticated books like Wizard use to do.  Example:  Wolverine 102.5 Wizard Variant Signed by Boris Vallejo.  How are these books be handled?  Is there a chance these signatures won't pass JSA authentication?  Would it still lose points for having a "sticker" on the cover (the Wizard hologram).  Would I be better off leaving these green labeled and/or ungraded?

On a totally different subject, does CGC or JSA have any resources with which we could pursue to sort of pre-check signatures for ourselves?  In my younger days, I may have gotten a bit overzealous in buying signed books without getting any proof.  It would be great for people to be able to compare signatures against a few examples before sending them in for authentication.

Thanks

On 5/15/2024 at 2:18 PM, Heghmoh Qib said:

How will this effect that old thorn in my side; third party signed and authenticated books like Wizard use to do.  Example:  Wolverine 102.5 Wizard Variant Signed by Boris Vallejo.  How are these books be handled?  Is there a chance these signatures won't pass JSA authentication?  Would it still lose points for having a "sticker" on the cover (the Wizard hologram).  Would I be better off leaving these green labeled and/or ungraded?

On a totally different subject, does CGC or JSA have any resources with which we could pursue to sort of pre-check signatures for ourselves?  In my younger days, I may have gotten a bit overzealous in buying signed books without getting any proof.  It would be great for people to be able to compare signatures against a few examples before sending them in for authentication.

Thanks

@MattM CS as this poster may have had to wait for his post to be approved, with only 2 posts total to the account. With the followed thread, it might not have notified when the post was made having to "be approved?"

• Administrator
On 5/15/2024 at 3:18 PM, Heghmoh Qib said:

Thanks

While we would need this in hand submitted through the service to review the signature, the book would likely still receive a green label for the wizards' sticker being added to the book. 

As for the second question, these resources will not be posted on our site. This is to prevent reproduction, fake signatures, and situations of customers purchasing a book raw because the signature looks close but instead of being signed by the name in question, an AutoPen or a Secretarial signature is used instead. Thanks for checking! 

@MattM CS Any possibility of having CGC add an "Art" option to their signature/sketch cover encapsulations? I know there is a NG possibility, but this would be so much nicer (especially for the fans of artists that draw wonderful art, but beat on the books).

• Administrator
On 5/21/2024 at 5:17 PM, Ron C. said:

@MattM CS Any possibility of having CGC add an "Art" option to their signature/sketch cover encapsulations? I know there is a NG possibility, but this would be so much nicer (especially for the fans of artists that draw wonderful art, but beat on the books).

Hello @Ron C., thanks for reaching out. I have not heard anything about this option being added in the future but I can see how collectors would want this. I will let our team know so this can be considered for you all! 

On 5/10/2024 at 8:54 AM, smarkjobber said:

@MattM CS,

Still interested in a clarification on this:

"If this book was submitted and the autograph is authentic, but it is determined that the sketch will negatively impact the overall grade of the comic, the comic will receive a CGC Qualified green label. Alternatively, if it is determined that the sketch will not negatively impact the grade of the comic, the comic will receive the CGC x JSA Authentic Autograph label."

What determines the negative impact?

@MattM CS and @JuliaJ CS - Still no update on this? Surely someone in the grading team should know the paramters given people have already started sending their remarked books in...