• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about reholdering a signed comic I have that I'd like "verified"

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I have a CGC 7.0 AF15 Blue label that has a Stan Lee signature on the splash page.  

It's a UK edition (highest grade on the census) that Stan signed in 1974 when he was in London for the Comic Convention there.

Here's my question....

If I send it in for verification of the signature will it come back to me as the same grade (7.0).  I'd love to get the verification label, but if there's a chance my grade will go down I can't take that chance.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Edited by gadzukes

• Administrator

Hello @gadzukes! Thank you for reaching out to us. While the grade typically doesnt change in this case, there always exists a chance that a collectible could be downgraded if it has suffered damage post-encapsulation. Any books resubmitted for the CGCxJSA service will be regraded upon submission. We unfortunately cannot guarantee the grade won't change. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or frustration this may cause you. 

On 5/8/2024 at 8:30 PM, Hulksdaddy1 said:

I don't think you need a verification for a personalized signature inside the book. Would anyone NOT think that was authentic?

I'd keep as is.

Yeah.  I know it's the real deal.  I thought it might be cool to get the new label, but Julia confirmed that the grade could go down so I'm not taking that chance.

I have a pic of the sig in the bag with the slab for any future buyer (not that I'm selling)

Hello @JuliaJ CS and @MattM CS

In the below example if this is submitted to CGC/JSA for authentication, with the existing witnessed signature, and the three autographsare authenticated on page 1 what would the Black and Yellow label have as text?

Would this change from Signature Series with existing text:

SIGNED BY STAN LEE ON 2/21/11(""Jack Kirby"", ""Excelsior! Stan Lee '75"" & ""All best, Joe Sinnott '04"" written on 1st page in pen)

To new Black and Yellow Label with new text:

SIGNED BY STAN LEE ON 2/21/11 & Authenticated Autographs of Jack Kirby, Stan Lee and Joe Sinnott on 1st page

OR Black and Yellow Label with new text:

Authenticated Autographs of Stan Lee on Cover and Jack Kirby, Stan Lee and Joe Sinnott on 1st page

Finally is there anyway of having the text such as Excelsior! authenticated?

Many thanks!

FF48.jpg