• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st appearances - just the comic equivalent of rookie cards? Oh and post a cover of a 1st appearance book in your collection
7 7

350 posts in this topic

On 5/14/2024 at 7:19 PM, Hepcat said:
On 5/14/2024 at 1:43 PM, B2D327 said:

wrong with collecting both? (shrug)

IMG_4901_Original.jpeg

Expand  

Hopefully you have not just Ken Griffey but most of the other cards in those 1989 baseball sets.

The only set I bought as a kid was in 1989, but it was Bowman, I still don't think it is worth much.

It isn't sealed and I haven't counted the cards to see if they're all there.

So much Kate 80's early 90's drek worth of baseball cards, and short of scrapping them to a card store, idk that I can come out ahead on anything lol

Even modern stuff like dirk nowitzki rookie on an iconix card, it is all $10 stuff?

I understand comics WAY more than sports stuff 

rantrant sigh lol

And no mine aren't Tiffany, I wasn't even aware there was such a thing as a kid, I guess that is the difference between a $50,000 card and $200? In dead 10 mint pristine?

Sigh 😞 

I never put them in sleeves but might have thumbed through them from time to time idk

Screenshot_20240514-192611.png

Posted (edited)

Lol so much to say, I should be patient if there is to be a response, but all this just doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever!

Screenshot_20240514-192859.png

Screenshot_20240514-193010.png

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/14/2024 at 7:30 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Lol so much to say, I should be patient if there is to be a response, but all this just doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever!

Screenshot_20240514-192859.png

Screenshot_20240514-193010.png

I guess the 50k is a signed 10 perfect, but a sealed 1989 woman set is $50? Just doesn't compute lol

On 5/14/2024 at 8:24 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

The only set I bought as a kid was in 1989, but it was Bowman, I still don't think it is worth much.

So what? Does it all come down to the price it may fetch for you now? Doesn't aesthetics come into play? 

On 5/14/2024 at 8:24 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It isn't sealed and I haven't counted the cards to see if they're all there.

So much Kate 80's early 90's drek worth of baseball cards, and short of scrapping them to a card store, idk that I can come out ahead on anything lol

Ahead? Do you like the cards or not? I guess you don't since you haven't even looked through them let alone put them in sheets and binders. But then why do you have/keep them?

Me I would never have accumulated any of my collectibles if I didn't derive delight and satisfaction from their possession.

:preach:

Lol I could stare at 40 year old cards, what is to know is known has been known and won't change is what I mean. I could stare 40+ years watching paint dry, but choose not too lol

Anyway haha

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 8:28 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

And no mine aren't Tiffany, I wasn't even aware there was such a thing as a kid, I guess that is the difference between a $50,000 card and $200?

Hmmmm. Says PSA: "The exception, however, is that this Tiffany set features gloss-covered fronts with a white cardstock reverse. Cal Ripken, Jr. (#9), Roger Clemens (#26), Mark McGwire (#197), Nolan Ryan (#225), and Barry Bonds (#426) anchor the set. Rookie cards in the series include Robin Ventura (#65), Gary Sheffield (#142), Ken Griffey, Jr. (#220), John Smoltz (#266), and Sandy Alomar, Jr. (#454). This Bowman issue was available solely as a factory set with an estimated 6,000 sets created."

So the difference is that there are "only" about 6000 Tiffany cards.

:S

On 5/14/2024 at 8:30 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well on that point anyway we're on the same page. It doesn't make sense to me either. But then many things in this day and age don't.

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 9:13 PM, Hepcat said:

Hmmmm. Says PSA: "The exception, however, is that this Tiffany set features gloss-covered fronts with a white cardstock reverse. Cal Ripken, Jr. (#9), Roger Clemens (#26), Mark McGwire (#197), Nolan Ryan (#225), and Barry Bonds (#426) anchor the set. Rookie cards in the series include Robin Ventura (#65), Gary Sheffield (#142), Ken Griffey, Jr. (#220), John Smoltz (#266), and Sandy Alomar, Jr. (#454). This Bowman issue was available solely as a factory set with an estimated 6,000 sets created."

So the difference is that there are only about 6000 Tiffany cards.

:S

Well on that point anyway we're on the same page. It doesn't make sense to me either. But then many things in this day and age don't.

(shrug)

I like comics because when you buy one, it is it's own issue, as opposed to packs of cards where you might chase a certain one, but what about all the others in the pack? I never threw those away just to chase one card, but that got an accumulation quick. I didn't go to shows for it to learn the hobby as a kid to trade or trade up either lol

A comic can come in a pack, but it's usually a 3 pack or 5 pack, you get like 12 cards in a pack which was more than half a sleeve at a time haha. :)

I can also grade a comic, cards I just don't know, but cest la vie. :)

I thought posting in the comics section about 1st app being like rookie cards was close enough to apropos the question or reveal I know nothing about cards lol

But ya, I'd get fleeced if I didn't ask somewhere sometime!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/14/2024 at 10:20 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I like comics because when you buy one, it is it's own issue, as opposed to packs of cards where you might chase a certain one, but what about all the others in the pack?

I'm an old school collector. I won't buy a card unless I'm interested in acquiring the rest of the cards in the set. That's why I'm very hesitant to add a new different card to my collection because it would mean I've embarked on a new collection. 

That once again means I'm not on the same page with collectors of the cards being issued these days.

:frown: