• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why are 9.8 non-key Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic so $$

7 posts in this topic

Hi All

Kind of a random observation but I have been getting into the KOTOR series and thought it would be fun to do a 9.8 run - Based on "Key Collector"  I looked up the keys and many in 9.8 are like, $50-70 ... Ok fine  (I have the big keys already)

Then I saw issues like 13, 27, 29 etc... Selling for 80-100 in 9.8.  I cant figure out why. Lower print runs? Am I missing something?

I know Star Wars collectors can go high on some things but so many OTHER issues arent touching 100, and wondering whats up with those?

Thanks!

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2024 at 4:50 PM, TylerHam said:

Hi All

Kind of a random observation but I have been getting into the KOTOR series and thought it would be fun to do a 9.8 run - Based on "Key Collector"  I looked up the keys and many in 9.8 are like, $50-70 ... Ok fine  (I have the big keys already)

Then I saw issues like 13, 27, 29 etc... Selling for 80-100 in 9.8.  I cant figure out why. Lower print runs? Am I missing something?

I know Star Wars collectors can go high on some things but so many OTHER issues arent touching 100, and wondering whats up with those?

Thanks!

Idk that the modern star wars "thread" @TylerHam gets enough traction here.

Ironically I found a cheap cgc 9.4 of a 2006 modern Star Wars issue today! I was tempted, but decided I was just buying to buy and yadda yadda and so on.

Idk if any of it has traction, and while I enjoy reading star wars l, it is easy enough to find in the dollar bin.

In short idk why any are keys, comics are good but is the faith for them brought about by movies and or other?

In short I chickened out. My slab was star wars legacy 2 but only a 9.4. I hesitate to mention here unless I wanted it, but modern 9.8 or bust, most here might pass anyway 😂 

I had found the hasbro reprint in the dollar bins, and figured a nice first print slab would be nice. That and it is an Adam Hughes cover. Talk me into it or tell me to be interested and wait for a 9.8 ???

Haha

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2024 at 5:50 PM, TylerHam said:

Hi All

Thanks!

I looked on GPA and they have sold in the range between $45-100. I think it may just be an issue of availability. I don’t believe there are any first appearances of any Jedi or Sith in these issues. 

Star Wars books tend to increase in price when there is a good Star Wars show airing on or around the time, even if it’s unrelated. In the case of the recent sales, the Bad Batch was in its final season. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

Posted (edited)

As I said, good stories, but every issue in KOTR is eyed as "pivotal"; although, that can be personal opinion, I know the used bookstores by me singled that series out to price about $10 per book and for some "keys" on easy look up, they priced at $25.

Was just adding, recently have seemed available "in the wild", and yet maybe they priced them high because there were several sales online, just in hopes of selling in store?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

The only real KEY in the series is issue 9, which is the first appearance of a character who was very very popular in the series of games but not the movies or tv yet. So I can see that one - 

Maybe THE ACOLYTE series Disney+ is doing is bringing interest to the pre-films era of Jedi?  Also those comics came out at a strange time for Star Wars so perhaps there just wasnt interest / low print runs?

check availability in 9.8.  How many copies in the census for non-key 9.8's?  This is a situation across many modern titles.  Everyone will submit a "key" book to have graded, but fewer will send in the rest of the run.

Posted (edited)

There's a lot of spec in that series, one of my personal all time favorites. I think the sentiment goes for a lot of other people. I have some 9.8s from that series I think. Shoot me a PM which you're after if you pursue it.

Edited by Tnexus