• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disappointed in CGC pressing results
2 2

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I submitted my already graded Avengers 58 (CGC #4410215001) for a clean, press, and regrade. Received the comic back to today and disappointed that the same, large crease is still present on the back cover . This should be a pressable defect as it's non color breaking. The grade came back the same with the same grader notes:

-Very light crease left top of back cover. -Very light crease right top of back cover. -Very light spine stress lines to cover.

Came back the same grade as before the press, which is fine I suppose. But the same crease(s) are still present and I was pretty sure this could be pressed to 9.4. I sent CGC an email but wasn't given the option to upload pictures, just describe the issue.

The first three pictures are after press. The last two pictures are before press.

Thoughts? @CGC Mike Can you suggest any ideas?

After Press 1.jpg

After Press 2.jpg

After Press 3.jpg

Before 1.jpg

Before 2.jpg

Edited by Homeboy32
Update information

Name that TV show...

ff.JPG

It doesn't need to break color for it to not be a good pressing candidate, especially with a white back cover, there really is no color for it to break. If the paper fibers are broken, no amount of pressing is going to put them back together. Pressing might flatten the crease but the crease will still be there. The pictures aren't great but it looks like the paper fibers are broken.

On 5/13/2024 at 11:12 PM, LordRahl said:

It doesn't need to break color for it to not be a good pressing candidate, especially with a white back cover, there really is no color for it to break. If the paper fibers are broken, no amount of pressing is going to put them back together. Pressing might flatten the crease but the crease will still be there. The pictures aren't great but it looks like the paper fibers are broken.

Comparing the crease on my comic versus CGC's example of pressing creases on the "Pressing" tab, it looks very similar. The problem is that the paper is still bent, not flattened. I do not see broken fibers in the comic.

• Administrator

@Homeboy32  You can send this back as a ME.  Do it as  holder defect.  On the packing slip be sure to write  This ME has been pre approved.  ATTN: Matt Nelson and write the problem.  Also, be sure to send me the tracking number when it ships.

• Administrator

Hi

A ME stands for Mechanical Error.  You would need to fill out a submission form like you did when you sent this book in.  This time, you would select Mechanical Error.  (Holder defect)  When you finish the submission form, a prepaid shipping label will be sent to you through our website.  (Not by e-mail).    Be sure to write on the packing slip:  This ME has been pre approved.  ATTN: Matt Nelson and write the problem.  (Make sure ATTN: Matt Nelson stands out).  You would then include the packing slip with the book and ship it back to us using the prepaid shipping label.  We will fix this at our expense and ship it back to you on our dime as well.  

When you have a tracking number you can send it to me by using the private message feature on this forum.  (the envelope in the upper right of the screen).  I will then send it to Matt so he can be on the lookout for your package.  If you have any problems with this, you can send me a PM or post it in the thread.  The ME option on the submission form expires in 14 days after you have received your submission back from us.  If this happens, let me know and I can get you one.  

Mike

That is correct. The book was bent from the original CGC case, which are the last 2 pictures. That's the biggest reason why I decided to have it cracked out and pressed to fix that issue. However, the book still came back with the bend. I understand the crease may not be perfect after press, but it's the fact that it's still bent is the issue.

On 5/15/2024 at 5:38 PM, Homeboy32 said:

That is correct. The book was bent from the original CGC case, which are the last 2 pictures. That's the biggest reason why I decided to have it cracked out and pressed to fix that issue. However, the book still came back with the bend. I understand the crease may not be perfect after press, but it's the fact that it's still bent is the issue.

It's just going to get bent down again by the inner holder.  I don't believe pressing is the problem. The problem is the cover hangs too far over the interior pages of the book and the inner well will bend it down.  If CGC doesn't make the inner well fairly snug then the book can slide around which causes other - and potentially worse -  problems. 

Yeah I sent a tomb of dracula 10 in.   Absolutely beautiful copy no issues.  Came back an 8.0.  Grader notes said small tear on rear cover that 100 percent was not there prior to their cleaning and pressing. Another book had grader notes slight crease . Pressing should have easily taken that out.    So I am done with cgc pressing.   It just seems like they might be a victim of their own success.  Too many books coming in and they r just rushing through them with maybe some employees that don't care or understand how big of a deal in some of these books those screw ups can cost.   On another note the grading is all over the place.  I sent in a ultimate fallout 4 first print.  Bought raw pulled it out the polybag myself.  Beautiful book zero issues.  Got it pressed and graded all of a sudden had light spine stress came back a 9.2.   I thought that was low. Removed it carefully and checked the spine.  Couldent see any.  So resubmitted it.  Just came back an 8.0.  Wtf.  Same grader note.    There's no consistency and an 8.0 makes zero sense. Once again a victim of their own success and hiring people that don't care or don't know what they r doing.