• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE GRADE IS IN ***** PGM Adventure Comics 267
3 3

30 posts in this topic

On 5/16/2024 at 2:28 PM, shadroch said:

What grade would it be if the center fold was intact?  It's barely a 4.0 just based on the cover, IMO.  What would you deduct for the detached CF?

If all else was near-perfect then around a 7.0. This particular book I'd go no higher than a 4.5. 2c

On 5/16/2024 at 1:33 PM, grendelbo said:

If all else was near-perfect then around a 7.0. This particular book I'd go no higher than a 4.5. 2c

You'd give this book a 7.0 if you didn't know it had a DCF? Is that your grade?

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 4:28 PM, shadroch said:

What grade would it be if the center fold was intact?  It's barely a 4.0 just based on the cover, IMO.  What would you deduct for the detached CF?

Overstreet and Lone Star allow a centerfold to be loose and fully detached at one staple and still get 4.0 or even 4.5 if other positive qualities warrant, because 4.5 is still VG just with a plus for redeeming qualities. Just to show that it's not an iregular opinion. The other staple can even be partially but not fully detached. He did not specify that both staples were completely detached from the centerfold. So, without evidence to the contrary I don't see any reason to dispute CGC's grade. Neither do I feel very sure without in-person inspection that I can go to 4.5 on this, even if the centerfold was completely attached, because it just looks like a VG book to me.

Edited by Q.N.S.

Mycomicshop( Lone Star) does not allow a VG book to have a detached centerfold. Their guidelines state that a VG book can have one detached staple at the cover or the CF, not two and not totally detached. I don't have an OS handy but I'm pretty sure they don't allow it either.

On 5/16/2024 at 2:46 PM, shadroch said:

You'd give this book a 7.0 if you didn't know it had a DCF? Is that your grade?

I guess I might have been answering a different question than what was written. In regards to a detached centerfold, if a book was near flawless otherwise I would start at around 7.0 and no higher. For this particular book, if the centerfold was not detached I don't think I could go higher than a 4.5. It's a big interior flaw, but still just an interior flaw. It's not going to matter all that much in this grade range.

A while back I made a post asking why folks would pay big bucks for certain comics and I used the word greed and speculation (bad choice of the word greed on my part), and there was a bit of grumbling and consternation by some members. Many if not most were denying that speculation had anything to do with paying some big bucks for certain comics, but rather paying the big bucks had more to do with affinity with a certain character or book. I didn't buy that argument then and don't now either.

Most of you are far more sophisticated comic aficionados than I will ever be, but as the comic novice that I am, I find it hard to understand the issue people have with a detached centerfold, especially once it's encapsulated never intended to be read or opened again. I completely would understand your dismay if it was missing, but if it's only a staple pop or two to the inner wrap that you will never see? How does that change your love of a certain character in that book or the complete book, if not for the speculation factor that you feel cheated out of some perceived value?

On 5/17/2024 at 9:52 AM, Mokiguy said:

A while back I made a post asking why folks would pay big bucks for certain comics and I used the word greed and speculation (bad choice of the word greed on my part), and there was a bit of grumbling and consternation by some members. Many if not most were denying that speculation had anything to do with paying some big bucks for certain comics, but rather paying the big bucks had more to do with affinity with a certain character or book. I didn't buy that argument then and don't now either.

Most of you are far more sophisticated comic aficionados than I will ever be, but as the comic novice that I am, I find it hard to understand the issue people have with a detached centerfold, especially once it's encapsulated never intended to be read or opened again. I completely would understand your dismay if it was missing, but if it's only a staple pop or two to the inner wrap that you will never see? How does that change your love of a certain character in that book or the complete book, if not for the speculation factor that you feel cheated out of some perceived value?

You are not wrong in your assessment. It bothers me for some reason. But I understand it as a flaw that only really bumps a book down 0.5-1.0 grade points for the reasons you mention.

I think some people see that flaw and they think ew, yuck it's a 2.0 or 3.0 at best and that is fine and well but that is their PERSONAL standard of grading (and maybe in line with a few other places). CGC differs on it. As I mentioned earlier, I always ask this question is buying a raw book not in person and if its a graded book, I take a sec to check the cert and notes. Pretty easy for me to avoid buying a detached centerfold and wait to find a VG or so copy where that flaw is not present.

On 5/17/2024 at 6:52 AM, Mokiguy said:

I find it hard to understand the issue people have with a detached centerfold, especially once it's encapsulated (and) never intended to be read or opened again.

Not quite.  Third-party grading of any collectible has always been a means of promoting commerce.  The primary value of a CGC certified/encapsulated specimen is the third-party assessment of condition (originality/restoration and grade).  Many collectors will actually crack a book out of its holder after purchase, since a Mylar sleeve and acid-free backing board offers accessibility/readability, superior long-term protection (museums do not have important documents/ephemera encapsulated in CGC holders for the purpose of archival storage and preservation), and greatly reduced storage volume requirements.

Hidden/interior defects should always be noted and disclosed.  :preach: