• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE GRADE IS IN ***** PGM Adventure Comics 267
3 3

30 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I thought I had already posted this book for folks to look at before I sent it in for grading.  If you'd like to offer your thoughts, I'll post the grade in a day or two.

center fold detached, 1/2" spine split, plus what you can see on the covers

Thanks if advance.

Adventure Comics 267 FC.jpg

Adventure Comics 267 BC.jpg

Edited by Louisville Pirate

Without the detached centerfold, I'd be at 3.5.   A book that appears to be 3.5 , but has a fully detached centerfold should max out at a 2.5.  I'd give it a 2.0, myself.

On 5/15/2024 at 5:28 AM, Louisville Pirate said:

Thanks everyone.  The variation in the estimates surprised me a little.

Adventure Comics 267.jpg

CGC doesn't mention the detached center-fold.

If you bought this book as a 4.0 and cracked it, who would be mad that the CF is detached?

• Administrator
On 5/15/2024 at 8:31 AM, shadroch said:

If you bought this book as a 4.0 and cracked it, who would be mad that the CF is detached?

2 years ago, we modified the defects that we list on the label.  Here is a link to the article.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/10226/

image.png

Posted (edited)

I'm sorry, but if I bought that book from any reputable dealer as a 4.0 and discovered it had a detached centerfold, I'd return it and expect a full refund. 

Did we ever find out who the prominent people who wanted the labels to contain less information were?

Edited by shadroch

On 5/15/2024 at 8:52 AM, shadroch said:

I'm sorry, but if I bought that book from any reputable dealer as a 4.0 and discovered it had a detached centerfold, I'd return it and expect a full refund. 

Did we ever find out who the prominent people who wanted the labels to contain less information were?

Checking the grader's note before buying a slab has ALWAYS been part of my buying process. Not doing so is not doing your due diligence of accessing the information that is available. It would be the equivalent of buying a raw book without inspecting or asking for a number of pictures to ensure you are in agreeance with the grade given by the seller.

On 5/15/2024 at 12:39 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Checking the grader's note before buying a slab has ALWAYS been part of my buying process. Not doing so is not doing your due diligence of accessing the information that is available. It would be the equivalent of buying a raw book without inspecting or asking for a number of pictures to ensure you are in agreeance with the grade given by the seller.

I agree with this 100%. When I'm in a hurry or rush to buy, if there ends up being an issue, I blame myself.

I will say that although I personally don't want to clutter the label with more notes... I do think anything "detached" should be noted on the label. Just like "missing value stamp".

On 5/15/2024 at 4:35 PM, JollyComics said:

This book would be perfect for CGC grading contest.  It would throw everyone off included myself.

Everyone but @zzutak(worship) (And I knew I graded it low.)

On 5/15/2024 at 6:35 PM, JollyComics said:

This book would be perfect for CGC grading contest.  It would throw everyone off included myself.

Curious where you had it....I took a quick look, like 5 seconds before scrolling down and said 3.5 maybe 4.0. 

Which is odd because I have used that strategy before when grading on the contest and done very well. I have also tried it and done very poorly.

On 5/15/2024 at 8:31 AM, shadroch said:

no. it's VG. 

On 5/16/2024 at 12:55 PM, Q.N.S. said:

no. it's VG. 

What grade would it be if the center fold was intact?  It's barely a 4.0 just based on the cover, IMO.  What would you deduct for the detached CF?