• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Christine Farrell - DC Collector RIP
4 4

138 posts in this topic

On 6/12/2024 at 5:12 PM, sfcityduck said:

I'm not sure how you can auction such a huge number of books in one auction session. Everyone's going to get worn out. And I suspect that a lot of choices will need to be made on what to bid on for most of us. 

And remember, she bought non-DC books too. Will Heritage auction those also? I'd think so. So you'd think there'd be more than one auction session.

Maybe books worth at least X dollars will be in a dedicated auction, with lower-dollar-value books being dispersed amongst the Sunday auctions. That's what Heritage has done before .

Edited by jimbo_7071

I met Chris in the winter of 1993 after relocating to Burlington for work.  I was a regular, weekly purchaser of Earth Prime Comics for nearly 30 years, with only Covid preempting that streak.  Chris considered me one of her most ardent customers and I enjoyed our many conversations.  She remained enthusiastic about comics in all the years I knew her, and obviously in DC particularly.  The industry will probably not see her like again and I am saddened by her passing...

On 6/13/2024 at 10:05 PM, jimbo_7071 said:
On 6/13/2024 at 5:12 AM, sfcityduck said:

I'm not sure how you can auction such a huge number of books in one auction session. Everyone's going to get worn out. And I suspect that a lot of choices will need to be made on what to bid on for most of us. 

And remember, she bought non-DC books too. Will Heritage auction those also? I'd think so. So you'd think there'd be more than one auction session.

Maybe books worth at least X dollars will be in a dedicated auction, with lower-dollar-value books being dispersed amongst the Sunday auctions. That's what Heritage has done before .

Agreed.  It would be physically impossible to auction everything off in just 2 days, unless there were just a bunch of lots made up of individual keys and then a bunch of lots made up of entire runs, which I'm sure Heritage would advise the consignors against doing.

On 6/13/2024 at 3:37 PM, tth2 said:

Agreed.  It would be physically impossible to auction everything off in just 2 days, unless there were just a bunch of lots made up of individual keys and then a bunch of lots made up of entire runs, which I'm sure Heritage would advise the consignors against doing.

Especially if it were, indeed, upper mid grade for much of it. Some of those 50's books can really pop at auction. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 9/17/2024 at 10:17 AM, tth2 said:

I've been told that almost all of the big keys are restored, unfortunately.

Yes, I looked through entire auction last night.  Also, many blue labels have been scraped of color touch to avoid purple death.  The Action 34 I posted is an example.

She was sold a good amount of restos, however, there are many nice unmolested high-grade issues. 

wow, so far seems like a stunning collection of books for collectors.   Beautiful mid to low hg books.  Books that will look wonderful but that might be halfway (only halfway) affordable.     Looks miles better than Ian's old collection (which was impressive in its own right, but still... night and day).    Fines instead of fairs.

Edited by Bronty

Does anyone have any updates (outside of what I've seen in this thread) on what Heritage's plans are for the books beyond those listed in this October Auction? While it's a bunch of crazy stuff (and I haven't even really looked through in depth) it's also just a small fraction of just the DCs she owned. 

On 9/17/2024 at 5:38 PM, sfcityduck said:

Anyone going after a complete DC collection is going to have to buy restored comics unless they are truly extremely wealthy and extremely motivated. It hasn't happened yet to my understanding.

But, the fact that after Christine's death her books are having the paper "scraped" to get a "better" grade is a tragedy. This is why I strongly believe that a restored comic should get a grade commiserate with what it would get without the restoration in question. Why should a "scraped" book get a better grade than a book with color touch?  The damage is worse on the scraped book! And its just a different form of restoration which eliminates material, not a return to the pre-restoration state of the book.  

This marketplace has got to mature on these issues. I think it will. And some day in the future we will probably see these "scraped" books decline in value and eventually those scraped spots will be "restored" or "conserved" with very thin reversible paper veneers to restore their value.  That's how absurd this is.

I think we are too far down the road for it to meaningfully change.   

On 9/17/2024 at 1:59 PM, rob_react said:

Does anyone have any updates (outside of what I've seen in this thread) on what Heritage's plans are for the books beyond those listed in this October Auction? While it's a bunch of crazy stuff (and I haven't even really looked through in depth) it's also just a small fraction of just the DCs she owned. 

There's only one way to auction off this many books: A lot of auctions and ultimately we'll see lots made up of multiple books. This collection is going to be 10s of thousands of books. How many? Depends on when she stopped.

On 9/17/2024 at 7:17 AM, tth2 said:

I've been told that almost all of the big keys are restored, unfortunately.

I heard she had at least two Action 1s (kept an undercopy), but only one has been posted so far:

Action Comics #1 Trimmed (DC, 1938) CGC Apparent FN 6.0 Moderate (A-3) Cream to off-white pages.

Open for bidding around 10/07/2024