• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
24 24

1,685 posts in this topic

In short top and bottom tabs are bad, side and bottom are not too bad, and IDK about just side tab, as my TMNT didn't bow to begin with and IDK why it has it at all.

I'd be interested in why tabs are a thing to begin with or if bowing has really always been a thing and certain amount allowed 

I think that last part would be need to most people

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I'm sure tabs are due to shaken comic syndrome 

To what extent is beyond my pay grade, but all this was for clarity, I'll probably bow out, as it is kind of semantics.

I get why some are saying it isn't causing damage or that somehow suggests it has always been an issue to no effect? There isn't a hard-line in there anywhere other than I've never noticed bowing before so....

I just don't have anything productive to contribute 😕 

I have books slabbed as far back as 12 years ago with the "tabs" "clip" "holder", many are digests, some are standard comics and some are thick comics in a magazine slab.  I've no issues the with the "plastic clip".

What I find unacceptable is submitting flat books and receiving them back warped, curved, concave-d, convex-ed by CGC.  Waiting for the Santa Ana winds to begin blowing, I'm not a dealer so I don't care how heavy or large a slab is as long it does not damage my comics - assuming of course the grading is just as strict, hopefully stricter!

P.S. I wish CGC would treat all our Comics with the same care and respect Joeypost and other huge submitting entities receive.

I Love Lucy" California, Here We Come! (TV Episode 1955) - IMDb

image.thumb.png.1e57d027b47a63015338ed606657bb04.png

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/13/2024 at 5:36 PM, Ninja0215 said:

Thanks for that, much appreciated! So, with that being said; is this the culprit in question? Can we be certain of that? 

This “tab” is what they put with my Wolverine when I got it back from them after they repressed and reholdered it.  The second time seemed to be in better shape than the first.  I don’t know if that acted as support for the spine, but it was better the second time with it versus the first time without it.

On 8/13/2024 at 5:50 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm sure tabs are due to shaken comic syndrome 

To what extent is beyond my pay grade, but all this was for clarity, I'll probably bow out, as it is kind of semantics.

I get why some are saying it isn't causing damage or that somehow suggests it has always been an issue to no effect? There isn't a hard-line in there anywhere other than I've never noticed bowing before so....

I just don't have anything productive to contribute 😕 

Book in question looks fine from the scan but reminded me of yours @Ninja0215

Idk that it means anything with the light reflecting up the spine, only through top staple and not the bottom? Looks like any other scan imo unless this is a sign for the future, but again above my pay grade.

That tick midspine really seems small in the scan, I mean right? It's a thin book if that matters towards recovery?

6084119_Full_Obv.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/13/2024 at 6:53 PM, DanJD said:

This “tab” is what they put with my Wolverine when I got it back from them after they repressed and reholdered it.  The second time seemed to be in better shape than the first.  I don’t know if that acted as support for the spine, but it was better the second time with it versus the first time without it.

Interesting.  I'm going to reholder my ASM 41 at some point but not yet. I want to see what happens first. 

On 8/13/2024 at 6:58 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Book in question looks fine from the scan but reminded me of yours @Ninja0215

Idk that it means anything with the light reflecting up the spine, only through top staple and not the bottom? Looks like any other scan imo unless this a sign for the future, but again above my pay grade.

That tick midspime really seems small in the scan, I mean right? It's a thin book if that matters towards recovery?

6084119_Full_Obv.jpg

Yeah I see what you're talking about. Fingers crossed mine is safe. I'll know on Thursday.  😬

On 8/13/2024 at 6:58 PM, Ninja0215 said:

Interesting.  I'm going to reholder my ASM 41 at some point but not yet. I want to see what happens first. 

Keep in mind the handling of the Newton Rings issue which began in 2016

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/13/2024 at 7:22 PM, DanJD said:

I would be curious to know how many of those 100% warped books are staying in that person’s PC versus being sold to an unsuspecting buyer?

Yes, the person keeping the book for their PC will have a different reaction to the warped inner well than someone slabbing for the purposes of selling immediately.

On 8/13/2024 at 7:33 PM, MadGenius said:

Yes, the person keeping the book for their PC will have a different reaction to the warped inner well than someone slabbing for the purposes of selling immediately.

Plus an $$$ incentive against spreading the word about purchasing newer slabs. 

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/13/2024 at 7:49 PM, Ninja0215 said:

How was that handled?? 

CGC doing CGC things and making the cure worse than the disease. Instead of Newton rings we got scuffing on the inside of the case. Just like the solution to making the slab more tamper proof led to this inner well fiasco.

On 8/13/2024 at 8:05 PM, MadGenius said:

CGC doing CGC things and making the cure worse than the disease. Instead of Newton rings we got scuffing on the inside of the case. Just like the solution to making the slab more tamper proof led to this inner well fiasco.

Oh yeah,  now I remember.  I got out of comics  between 2010 and 2017 so all of this is still pretty new to me. Let's hope they can course correct this.  

Part 1/2
I have cracked open a few books with bent inner wells and I am finding the same thing every time. With the goal of sharing with those who are here looking for info, here is what I saw with a Werewolf by Night 9 CGC 9.4 (cert number 4426121019) which was graded on 5 June 2024. I just cracked this open a few minutes ago and took some pictures. Apologies that some of the pictures suck but it is hard to get good images with my phone. It is especially hard to take good pics of ticks so you will have to partly go with my description. 

Please note this book was purchased as a crack and resub that will eventually go into my PC. I will post the grade after a press and resubmit down the road if I remember to do so. 

- The inner well had the "u" bend where top and bottom curved upwards
- There was a pronounced tick at the bottom of the top staple (circled in image)
- When you look up the cert number that tick is no where near as pronounced
- I removed the inner well and immediately took a photo, and it shows that inner well is still bent 
- When I removed the comic from the inner well the comic itself was bent, but not to the same degree as when it was in the inner well 
- After removal from the inner well the tick at the bottom of the top staple reverted to looking more like what is in the cert lookup photo, and was far less pronounced than when the book was in the inner well. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Part 2/2
I also cracked open a Werewolf by Night 31 CGC 9.4 (cert number 4426154018) which was graded on 28 May 2024. This was also cracked a few minutes ago and I took pics with my phone. The picture quality for some images is pretty bad so you will have to go with what I am saying for parts of this. 

- The inner well had the "u" bend where top and bottom curved upwards
- There is a cluster of tiny ticks in the middle of the spine
- I removed the inner well and immediately took a photo, and it shows that inner well is still bent 
- When I removed the comic from the inner well the comic itself was bent, but not to the same degree as when it was in the inner well 
- The ticks did not look as bad after removal from the inner well

Please note this is also a crack and resub for my PC.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

@Stefan_Wty so much for your insight! Much appreciated.  I don't want to crack any books that are affected with the fear of damaging them further. 

I know for all of us this is a concern  but how much concern should we have? I'm sending in a book to them soon and I'll  go from there. 👍