• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ordering from Highgradecomics' online store is a little wonkey
3 3

101 posts in this topic

On 5/20/2024 at 1:54 PM, AltonKroobe said:

I'm not talking smack about Bob, I don't know him, I'm just pointing out that the website is a little wonkey, 24 hours may not seem like a lot of time but if I find a better priced copy of a book from some one else I'm not going to pay for a book that eventually may get found in the next few days.

Bob does not require consigners to send books in advance. A book he lists on his site for a consigner may have been sold on another site, and only when he gets an offer does the seller let him know it was sold. Some sellers only sell books they have in hand, many will list books they don't have.  There are pros and cons to both.

I may have purchased a book from Bob, but I honestly don't remember. My memory is just not what it used to be. I definitely remember visiting with him at C2E2 one year. He was quite pleasant and very knowledgeable.

Everything that I have heard about Bob tells me that his reputation is exemplary. 

On 5/20/2024 at 2:32 PM, AltonKroobe said:

I've interacted with them a few times and it's like interacting with a real life version of the Snakin' Shack from In Living Color.download.jpeg.4dc9120734c35d97ad9dda75f0f8e409.jpeg

Deep fried octopus toes?  *DING* Pick it up!

(Sorry, that's all I have to add to the conversation)

I picked up an Adventure 346 from Bob several years ago and as stated many times he is a good guy with the ability/inventory to offer some great deals. His website is ... a bit dated, not MHC dated, but it could use a more updated inventory system. His main focus is convention inventory which seems to be hand counted and subtracted from the website database afterwords, this obviously can result in phantom stock until reconciliation. A cloud based inventory were a sold book at a convention could be scanned and instantly update the database would correct this, but it might not be worth the expense.

On 5/20/2024 at 4:10 PM, AltonKroobe said:

Any item I find that is a great deal seems to "sell out" as soon as I inquire about it, this kind of defeats the purpose of the "wheel of deals" if you do get a good discount on the wheel there's nothing stopping them from just saying that particular item is sold out.

I'm going to assume you do this for every book?

Having books being sold out is part of buying from dealers. It happens everywhere, is normal, and a non-issue. Shoot, I remember back in the day having to always list my second choices when ordering comics.

Consider yourself lucky you don't have to send $1 along with a SASE to receive their latest list.

On 5/20/2024 at 4:10 PM, AltonKroobe said:

Any item I find that is a great deal seems to "sell out" as soon as I inquire about it, this kind of defeats the purpose of the "wheel of deals" if you do get a good discount on the wheel there's nothing stopping them from just saying that particular item is sold out.

I subscribe to their e-mails that provide new listings, but I have yet to purchase anything. The prices usually seem higher than what I would expect to pay in a non-Heritage (CLink, CConnect, MCS, etc.) auction. There have been a few times when I've passed on books that were high on my want list because I thought the price was too high. I still check the e-mails just in case a personal grail shows up.

In case you needed one more person to pile on... Bob has a great reputation. 

He's pretty direct. Sometimes that directness can be mistaken for being rude or short, but I don't think its intended. I think he's just really busy and gets alot of inquiries. 

I've bought a few books from Bob including one with the Spin a Deal thing. Never had a problem or concern.

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2024 at 7:26 PM, AltonKroobe said:

Again nothing against Bob Storm, I asked for a photo of a book and was told they would get back to me they did not and then the book sold out, next week gave a best offer on three books, no response order cancled books sold out, next week spun the wheel order confirmed... If we have the book otherwise book sold out, I was just asking if this site was legit I don't know this site or the owner, site is kind of a mess, wanted to know what was up with site, was it legit or not? 

Bob is terrific, the site is fine, and if you're getting beat out buying a book you're looking for because you're slow to pull the trigger, then speed up.  Highgrade has a large clientele, and sometimes books sell even before a scan gets posted.  Bob's grading is tight and consistent, and he ships quickly and securely.  Highgradecomics is one of the very best.  It's a great venue for selling, too.

Edit: his name is Bob Storms.  What's yours?

Edited by namisgr

On 5/21/2024 at 7:53 AM, AltonKroobe said:

dude take chill pill, I'm talking about a website that needs an overhaul, your talking to me like I killed the man's dog.

Dude, you're talking about a man's profession and business, and you've got it all wrong.  Capisco?

On 5/21/2024 at 7:54 AM, namisgr said:

Dude, you're talking about a man's profession and business, and you've got it all wrong.  Capisco?

Yeah and his website needs a massive overhaul,  there's nothing harmful about me pointing that out, I don't think he's going to be living on the streets begging for copies of New Mutants 98 to sell because I'm pointing that out.

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 7:53 AM, AltonKroobe said:

dude take chill pill, I'm talking about a website that needs an overhaul, your talking to me like I killed the man's dog.

This is your thread title "Is Highgradecomics.com a legit company?"

Yes, it is and you've been told that several times in the thread. Maybe you should have chosen a more appropriate title if all you're looking to do is suggest they update their site

Edited by Jeffro.

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 8:05 AM, Jeffro. said:

Yes, it is and you've been told that several times in the thread 

I agree seems like the owner of the site is a great guy but the website is very unfriendly for a casual browser who randomly stumbles onto it ,website should be updated, this is my opinion no one has changed my mind on the subject, everyone has informed me how legit the site is as well as owner, that's great but its not going to prevent other casual collectors from having a negative experience using his website, website needs to be updated.

Edited by AltonKroobe

On 5/21/2024 at 8:06 AM, AltonKroobe said:
On 5/21/2024 at 8:05 AM, Jeffro. said:

Yes, it is and you've been told that several times in the thread 

I agree seems like the owner of the site is a great guy but the website is very unfriendly for a casual browser who randomly stumbles onto it ,website should be updated, this is my opinion no one has changed my mind on the subject, everyone has informed me how legit the site is as well as owner, that's great but its not going to prevent other casual collectors from having a negative experience using his website, website needs to be updated.

I don't think anyone is trying to change your mind about the website however the company is legit. Very legit. Too legit to quit in fact (as referenced above) 

On 5/21/2024 at 8:21 AM, Jeffro. said:

I don't think anyone is trying to change your mind about the website however the company is legit. Very legit. Too legit to quit in fact (as referenced above) 

Yes but if the very first response to my post was " stay away from that website its shady" I wouldn't have gasped in shock because the website looks like it one of those websites. Factor in the strange checkout build on it and it raises eyebrows.