• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buyer beware Arthur Adams
1 1

66 posts in this topic

I commissioned Arthur for a piece in 2013. He has yet to complete the piece or issue a refund. I have changed the subject over the years, but he hadn't started so no problem. Recently this year he stopped replying to my emails so I contacted his rep, Jason at essential sequential. He said he'd contact Arthur and the result was "It's started it'll be done after the cgc"  Jason said he'd speak to him at c2e2. Nothing. Today I relayed to Jason I was going tell this tale to anyone who would listen. His response "do what you gotta do". Offered a refund, I accepted. No refund. So be ware of commissioning Arthur Adams. 

On 5/25/2024 at 7:01 PM, artdisease said:

I commissioned Arthur for a piece in 2013. He has yet to complete the piece or issue a refund. I have changed the subject over the years, but he hadn't started so no problem. Recently this year he stopped replying to my emails so I contacted his rep, Jason at essential sequential. He said he'd contact Arthur and the result was "It's started it'll be done after the cgc"  Jason said he'd speak to him at c2e2. Nothing. Today I relayed to Jason I was going tell this tale to anyone who would listen. His response "do what you gotta do". Offered a refund, I accepted. No refund. So be ware of commissioning Arthur Adams. 

File a lawsuit. But be warned, many contract claims come with a 6 year statute of limitations (varies by state). 

On 5/25/2024 at 4:36 PM, Rick2you2 said:

File a lawsuit. But be warned, many contract claims come with a 6 year statute of limitations (varies by state). 

I'd swallow my anger and follow up with Jason to get that refund. Tell him you were just frustrated, you "love" Arthur, but would appreciate the full refund. Keep your cool. Get that $ back. Sucks this happened to you.

Good luck

On 5/25/2024 at 7:48 PM, The Voord said:

Seriously, horror stories about commissions that take years (and years) in the making (if at all) seem all too commonplace.

I'm in the start of a horror situation with a prominent Brazilian artist... Haven't waited 11 years though. Just curious, is there a name and shame thread here? I'm tempted to publicize my frustration...

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2024 at 10:39 PM, Noob19 said:

I'm in the start of a horror situation with a prominent Brazilian artist... Haven't waited 11 years though. Just curious, is there a name and shame thread here? I'm tempted to publicize my frustration...

There is a Buyer Beware thread in Facebook. A place where Larry Stroman and others live in infamy.

Edited by Rick2you2

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2024 at 4:52 PM, artdisease said:

Yeah, I've done all that. Except "I love Arthur" I'd rather have a cactus enema than proclaim that.

You've suffered a great indignity. I wonder in about a month how you're going to feel looking at a piece that took 11 years to find you. Will you treasure it? Or will we see it on Tinder with a caption WILL TRADE FOR A GOOD TIME!

Edited by grapeape

On 5/26/2024 at 6:38 AM, artdisease said:

UPDATE: I have received a refund. I will now use that money on liquor and ladies of the night. 

BEWARE - you may end up with a disease and I guarantee that it won't be an "artdisease"...:preach:

Posted (edited)

I am sorry that you went through this ordeal.

He is 61 years old. His brother and Arthur runs Joe Kubert Art School plus he has multiple projects for Marvel.  You know the priorities always take the places.  Some private commissions may be slipped away.  His father Joe passed away in 2012.  He may have changed ever since.

On 5/26/2024 at 8:44 AM, pemart1966 said:

The baseball pitcher??

Yep, he was Cubs pitcher.  I am happy he is gone to Mets.

Edited by JollyComics

On 5/26/2024 at 9:46 AM, JollyComics said:

He is 61 years old. His brother and Arthur runs Joe Kubert Art School plus he has multiple projects for Marvel.  You know the priorities always take the places.  Some private commissions may be slipped away.  His father Joe passed away in 2012.  He may have changed ever since.

Huh? He's talking about Arthur Adams, no relation to Joe Kubert.

Adams has no excuse for not doing the commission in 11 years.

I, myself, am still waiting on a commission from a totally different artist that is now going on FIVE years and he is posting every day on Facebook and drawing for everyone ... but me. 

I've always considered Arthur one of the industry's good guys, but upon reflection, I realized that was based on a fifteen-minute conversation just after Longshot 1 came out.  I suppose he has changed over time., as have we all.   There is no excuse for his actions and I'm glad you got the refund. 

On 5/26/2024 at 11:38 AM, artdisease said:

UPDATE: I have received a refund. I will now use that money on liquor and ladies of the night. 

Can't go wrong there, lol!

On 5/26/2024 at 6:46 AM, JollyComics said:

He now pitches for the Yankees. Is he a comic collector? I'm not sure why you bring him up. 

On 5/26/2024 at 12:05 PM, shadroch said:

He now pitches for the Yankees. Is he a comic collector?

There's a comic book artist pitching for the Yankees?

On 5/26/2024 at 9:46 AM, JollyComics said:

What in the world did he do to get his name on that list?