• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buyer beware Arthur Adams
1 1

66 posts in this topic

On 5/26/2024 at 9:15 AM, Michael Browning said:

Huh? He's talking about Arthur Adams, no relation to Joe Kubert.

Adams has no excuse for not doing the commission in 11 years.

I, myself, am still waiting on a commission from a totally different artist that is now going on FIVE years and he is posting every day on Facebook and drawing for everyone ... but me. 

Sorry I got mixed up.

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2024 at 11:05 AM, shadroch said:

He now pitches for the Yankees. Is he a comic collector? I'm not sure why you bring him up. 

That’s name is mixed up too.  I know he was Cubs pitcher. I am a Cubs fan. I don’t think he is the comic cook collector.

Edited by JollyComics

Here's the problem with a LOT of artists: They are only too happy to take the cash when they want/need it, but then they procrastinate and put off -- or just don't do -- commissions after they get and SPEND that cash. It is a major problem with far too many artists. There are websites that list them and call them out for their irresponsibility and for not doing the work THEY WERE PAID TO DO. There are threads on here and on other sites that detail the lengthy waits people go through just to get a simple sketch or drawing. I don't understand what happens after they get that money, but I'm sure they're not sitting and holding it until they do finish the art. Maybe it causes the artists anxiety knowing they've put it off for so long and they can't deal with it and the stress of knowing they haven't done it and still need to get it done is too much to overcome. I don't know. I've tried to be understanding, but I do know if I pay to have someone come in and paint my house and they don't do it for four years after getting paid -- or 11 years -- I'm going to be so angry that I'm going to take legal action and I'm going to leave them a terribly bad review. The problem that WE have, though, is that we give these artists far too many excuses and too much time and we are all scared that if we out the artist, we will never get our commission nor will we get our cash back. I'm as much to blame as all the others who have sat back and refused to out delinquent artists for not doing the work THEY WERE PAID TO DO.

So many of us make excuses for the artists who run YEARS late: "Well, he's got his paying work/monthly job to do that takes precedence over the commissions" --- but money is money and if they take it, then my money is just as important as the money they get from their monthly jobs. No excuses. If they can't do the work and the commissions, then don't solicit or accept commissions. It's simple as that.

I'm getting past the point of caring anymore for my artist "friend" who hasn't done my commission and it is going on five years now. He's the one who accepted the work and he's the one who promised it wouldn't take four years like the last one did for me. He's churning them out for others and I see it all the time on his Facebook posts. He asked for a deposit and I sent it as quickly as he asked. At that time, it was only going to take a few weeks. He promised it would NOT take four years like the last time. Well, he's keeping his promise, because it's not taking four years, it's taking so much longer. Soon, if he doesn't answer me or send me my commission, I'm going to publicly out him. It's coming. Mark my words. Because I know he isn't working on my commission and I know that he isn't going to reply to my many messages sent over the last couple years.

On 5/26/2024 at 3:32 PM, Sean I said:

you should just tell us

I'm giving him one last chance. I just messaged him on Facebook and will see what he says, if he answers at all. He has ghosted me every single time I ask about it but will talk to me when I ask him other, unrelated questions or remark in a private message about his political posts.

Well, I wish you luck, Michael.  I had a negative situation with Jill Thompson that did ultimately resolve positively but required a fair amount of effort.  That was only a 18+ month wait.  I think naming names and a buyer beware thread are both good ideas.  Not everyone uses Facebook and I noticed the threads on the bigger names or better fan sentiment tend to get locked on the FB group.  My own experience and it seems the others mentioned here do have a common element in dealing with the artist directly.  Probably speaks to the value of middlemen/reps even though they might seem like a barrier or extra cost at times.

On 5/25/2024 at 9:39 PM, Noob19 said:

I'm in the start of a horror situation with a prominent Brazilian artist... Haven't waited 11 years though. Just curious, is there a name and shame thread here? I'm tempted to publicize my frustration...

On 5/26/2024 at 4:52 AM, Rick2you2 said:

There is a Buyer Beware thread in Facebook. A place where Larry Stroman and others live in infamy.

The link to the FB group is Comic Art Buyer Beware. Larry must be the most complained about artist in the world and still people commission him. :(

Sorry to hear this didn't end as you had hoped initially.

Arthur has been known to have a long back log, but does work pretty hard at doing sketches and commissions for collectors. I don't think he meant any malice. Glad you received a refund and have some closure with this.

On 5/27/2024 at 10:14 PM, shadroch said:

Any artist or business with an eleven-year backlog should either stop taking new business or not require a large deposit.

Especially when commissions pay significantly more than publisher page rates for most artists. 

I think people are forgetting/overlooking some basics here.

It's been noted that Arthur doesn't normally take payment up front.  Not sure why that happened here but ultimately he was refunded.

I think there are plenty of people who would, without a doubt, commission Adams to do a piece for them, and they would not be a dope at all.  He's clearly delivered on many quality pieces and, as noted, payment isn't taken ahead of time.  I wish more artist were like that - we'd have a lot less frustration if it was nothing until your slot is up, or some small percentage to hold a place and balance due when it's time to get started.  Anyone commissioning Larry Stroman having read anything about him online, well, dope it is then.  

Jason/Essential Sequential would have had nothing to do with the original commission request as he's only been working with him in the last few years to my knowledge. So while a refund was offered when Ryan made his initial post, it's not like he has the money paid in escrow to immediately issue a refund against it.  No idea the ins and outs, but then neither does anyone else here.

For the record, I've never met or commissioned Arthur.  If I was going to a con he was taking a list for, I'd jump at the chance and have no concerns around working with Jason on it, even if he lives in NJ.

Some fun facts.

$1000 in 2013 is equal to $1350 today.  THE OP lost about 25-30% of his buying power over the eleven years.

$1000 invested in Tesla in 2013 would be worth around $13,000 today and potentially much more if you sold two years ago.

On 5/28/2024 at 10:09 AM, GotSuperPowers? said:

I think people are forgetting/overlooking some basics here.

It's been noted that Arthur doesn't normally take payment up front.  Not sure why that happened here but ultimately he was refunded.

I think there are plenty of people who would, without a doubt, commission Adams to do a piece for them, and they would not be a dope at all.  He's clearly delivered on many quality pieces and, as noted, payment isn't taken ahead of time.  I wish more artist were like that - we'd have a lot less frustration if it was nothing until your slot is up, or some small percentage to hold a place and balance due when it's time to get started.  Anyone commissioning Larry Stroman having read anything about him online, well, dope it is then.  

Jason/Essential Sequential would have had nothing to do with the original commission request as he's only been working with him in the last few years to my knowledge. So while a refund was offered when Ryan made his initial post, it's not like he has the money paid in escrow to immediately issue a refund against it.  No idea the ins and outs, but then neither does anyone else here.

For the record, I've never met or commissioned Arthur.  If I was going to a con he was taking a list for, I'd jump at the chance and have no concerns around working with Jason on it, even if he lives in NJ.

he does take a 20% down payment- i know this as i am on his list via jason

On 5/28/2024 at 11:34 AM, cloud cloddie said:

And sometimes he takes full payment, as mine is paid in full from the list I got on last year. 

When you paid in full last year, did you get an estimated delivery date?