• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much of a premium do creators’ personal copies fetch?
2 2

30 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Not many GA sales of these. You have some characters on the bay listing them for a 10x premium that will never sell Like this one

Bur what actually is a fair premium? There have been some Jerry Robinson/Stan Lee/Bob Kane file copies I’ve seen, but not in recent memory.

Lots of these types of books coming up on CL this weekend but the prices are so wonky and unpredictable to the point it’s impossible to set a bidding strategy with a limited budget. 

Any help is appreciated 

Edited by thedagger

Not precisely what you asked, but I no longer feel any joy at seeing the Jerry Robinson copies circulate... your link right there is exactly why. Feels like every last one of them is being pushed by sellers trying to squeeze every last dollar out of them. It's within their rights to do so, but it's depressing.

On 5/25/2024 at 9:58 PM, Point Five said:

Not precisely what you asked, but I no longer feel any joy at seeing the Jerry Robinson copies circulate... your link right there is exactly why. Feels like every last one of them is being pushed by sellers trying to squeeze every last dollar out of them. It's within their rights to do so, but it's depressing.

Totally agree. That’s why I’m trying to jump on any auctions that come up. The BINs are just absurd

On 5/26/2024 at 6:06 AM, Ryan. said:

I don't know how much I would sell this for but it wouldn't be at the FMV of a regular 3.0.

image.thumb.png.efe4b924c7b58d7ccbde5877521e6b6a.png

I wouldn’t either! What a great book

On 5/25/2024 at 11:09 PM, Mmehdy said:

depends on the creator, book and authen, I think the new CGC method will greatly increase value of these books....but general rule is 40-59%

Would you mind sharing what you mean by the new CGC method? And thanks for the numbers!

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2024 at 7:50 PM, thedagger said:

Not many GA sales of these. You have some characters on the bay listing them for a 10x premium that will never sell Like this one

Bur what actually is a fair premium? There have been some Jerry Robinson/Stan Lee/Bob Kane file copies I’ve seen, but not in recent memory.

Lots of these types of books coming up on CL this weekend but the prices are so wonky and unpredictable to the point it’s impossible to set a bidding strategy with a limited budget. 

Any help is appreciated 

Overstreet used to say provenance made a copy's value 2x - 5x.  I don't know if it's still saying so.

Aside from that, whenever you're looking to value something it always depends on who you're talking to and whether they are

1) buying or

2) selling, or if

3) they have things like it and want to keep the values up or

4) they don't have things like it and want to get some cheap, or

5) they don't want items like it and don't want other people to want them. 

Final caveat: people in one category may sometimes switch to another  

Edited by BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES

On 5/26/2024 at 1:35 PM, Chicago Boy said:

I think they are worth an extra 10 %. Creator or Publisher File Cooy 

I usually bid less for file copies because I know they're not going to be very fresh. (The Harvey file copies are so bad that I don't even bid on those.)

Creator file copies have many values as have been stated. Frankly, it all depends on the bidder. How much do they want a certain creator's book? Like anything, pay what ever you feel comfortable with. 

I have always liked them. Pieces of history of creators I admire. Having a book that was owned by certain folks bring me closer to them. Rather than seeking them out, I have bought mine as the opportunity presented it's self. I feel the same way to a lessor degree owning books from famous collectors. Just nice to have them in the collection.

Carl Barks

comourgang22BARKS1.jpeg

comourgang22BARKS2.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Tried to bid on a couple personal copies yesterday but hadn't recently tried to bid in the last seconds on comiclink and forgot how clunky it is.  You start your bid and a new screen comes up asking you to confirm but the screen has no clock or bid count.  So you don't know how much time you have or whether the bid you're contemplating has already been exceeded.  And if you make a bid that falls short you can't just quickly place another bid.  You have to react and then hit the effing back button, let it load, move your mouse to the appropriate spot and type in a new number (and again, you have nothing showing you how much time is left and what the current bid is)  

Edited by BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES