• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collectors Who Really Prefer Low Grade?
3 3

63 posts in this topic

On 6/7/2024 at 9:24 AM, DougC said:

For the sole purpose of "collecting" to have, especially raw books I prefer low grade examples. It allows me the luxury to handle them without concern of nicking a corner and destroying value. Leafing through a 1940s comic just has a nice feeling.

This. I like my Golden Age stuff in 6.0-8.0, especially the EC's, as I read them. 

On 6/7/2024 at 10:36 AM, Hudson said:

Nice FF1.  I would be happy to own that.

I would also be happy to have an Action 1 that looked like that, and display it proudly.

Way back in 2016 at C2E2, I thought about buying FF #1 CGC 4.0 for only $2000.  I kept saying next time and it is NOW no next time that I already regretted for the rest of my life.

On 6/7/2024 at 10:26 AM, auboy77 said:

I would take low grade over restored all day, every day , —no matter how good the restored book looks. I’m an “original” condition guy.  I would take a 1.0 unrestored over a 9.8 restored . 

What if it were a choice between a low-grade restored or nothing?    What if the only way you could ever land a Batman 1 or a Detective 31 (or whatever your passion book might be) was a 1.0 Restored?    

On 6/7/2024 at 5:50 PM, DC# said:

What if it were a choice between a low-grade restored or nothing?    What if the only way you could ever land a Batman 1 or a Detective 31 (or whatever your passion book might be) was a 1.0 Restored?    

I'll take a restored copy (with some criteria) in my price range rather than nothing at all when it comes to early GA Timely books.

-bc

I have ranges based on the era and whether of not the book is a "key". As my collecting habits move further and further away from moderns and even copper, my standards drop some. I try and buy the highest grade I can afford but have a minimum that I'll accept. Certain things like rust and water damage are stoppers for me but minor tears and creasing or even small missing pieces don't bother me as much. I get a hard on for a well placed date stamp. :x

Posted (edited)

I think it depends on what I'm collecting.  I have a run of High grade Bronze horror. For SA keys I've bought lower grade copies and slowly upgraded over time.  And then GA books I'm generally open to lower grade. 

These days I'm primarily buying raw books from the 50s. Post code and pre code mostly and usually nothing crazy expensive.  I'm perfectly happy with low grade readers. I do like to have presentable covers because I honestly just enjoy flipping through boxes of old books and occasionally reading some stories.  

Edited by KCOComics

On 6/7/2024 at 5:50 PM, DC# said:

If the price was right, I would take it, even if it was a 0.5 restored.   

On 6/7/2024 at 9:52 PM, Hudson said:

If the price was right, I would take it, even if it was a 0.5 restored.   

On the subject of restoration--I think there are instances of color touch (I'm talking strictly amateur level color touch here, essentially a person with a marker or a pen) that weren't meant as "restoration" but rather were just someone trying in the easiest way possible to make their book look a little nicer. In fact I seem to remember taking a marker to some spine tics on a book when I was maybe 12 years old. I wasn't doing it to try to increase the resale value and dupe some future buyer, I was a kid who just wanted his book to look a little nicer. Obviously we can't know the intent of every person who adds color touch to a cover, but it seems to me that the intent isn't always nefarious. As an example, I'd rather have a golden age book that some kid took a marker to in order to pretty up some spine tics than a golden age book that a kid wrote their name on.

Interesting question and responses. I don't know that I prefer low grade so much as I am not bothered by it. I'd rather have several low grade issues I really want than just one high grade one I want. But it depends. Some of the issues, it's the covers that I'm really after, so a high grade is preferred. Some, it's the historical significance of it (thinking platinum or early gold), so the grade isn't as big of a deal.

I agree with what others have said about the anxiety, too. I don't want the worry of not being able to handle a book because of its high grade and value. Of course, I don't want the worry of a page breaking off a really low grade one either, so there's that.

On 6/7/2024 at 12:55 PM, JollyComics said:

Way back in 2016 at C2E2, I thought about buying FF #1 CGC 4.0 for only $2000.  I kept saying next time and it is NOW no next time that I already regretted for the rest of my life.

I've gotten burned by this coming and going. First, by losing out on books because I kept saying "next time" and then by spending too much to stave off regret with other books. There could be a whole thread about the ones that got away. Wait...is there a whole thread about the ones that got away??:flamed:

Posted (edited)

I hate "low grade is better than no grade" mantra. It is used by dealers trying to sell their low grade common silver, bronze and even copper books. Sure if you are like example a Spider-man collector who have never spend over 100$ in single issue and have opportunity to buy a fair copy of AF15 for 1/10 market price or you are trying to put together some golden age run and finally you find a fair copy of some book that you are missing then yes low grade is better than no grade.

Collect comics in a grade that you are happy with!

Edited by godzilla43

On 6/7/2024 at 1:26 PM, auboy77 said:

I would take low grade over restored all day, every day , —no matter how good the restored book looks. I’m an “original” condition guy.  I would take a 1.0 unrestored over a 9.8 restored . 

For me that depends on the restoration.

Say book X is a copy of Superman 14 which I would still like to own... 

Say book X in a 7.0 with minor color touch is $$

Say book X in a 4.0 with no resto is $$$

I have no problem opening my door to that 7.0 with minor color touch. 

I tried separating out low grade books into a bin called 'Low Grade is Better than No Grade." I brought these out three shows in a row and did not sell a single comic from this group.

I am sure there is a market for this stuff, but that market does not exist here. In my area people prefer to pay low grade prices for books that are in nice condition.