• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this not the stupidest page ever??
1 1

10 posts in this topic

On 6/7/2024 at 8:03 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

My favorite part of the escape is where the POWs leave their German captor alone and intact based on the guard’s assurances he won’t alert the authorities.

Even better, just for the promise of free cigarettes (which, as a smoker, makes total sense to me:bigsmile:)

Posted (edited)

why would you need a rifle inside a prison ?

guards I would expect to use sidearms.

but then ofc it would have made the getaway a lot more difficult.

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 6/7/2024 at 5:03 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

In the spirit of D-Day being upon us, I opened up an Air Ace from January 1944, and I was shocked to see how easy it was to escape a German concentration camp. My favorite part of the escape is where the POWs leave their German captor alone and intact based on the guard’s assurances he won’t alert the authorities. 

anyone else got a stupid page?

IMG_0639.jpeg

Smokes were harder and harder to come by as the War went along.

To be precise  I believe it was a POW camp. But in this case it looks more like a prison the Germans took over, probably a French prison.  And I guess they couldn't shoot him because they would alert the other guards. So it was either knock him unconscious or give him some American tobacco. No German could refuse that.  Or tie him up and gag him but that would have took time. No, I think the cigarettes were a good choice.