• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Storage and Preservation Practices
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am researching about the longer-term storage and preservation practices of collectors.

I am especially interested in learning more about your:

• Concerns
  • Challenges
  • Conditions (humidity, temperature, etc.)
  • Methods (beyond Mylar, acid free boards etc.)
  • Monitoring methods
  • Use of supporting technologies

Looking forward to learning more...

Edited by DKatz23

Mylay bags and boards in a card board comic box is generally the way to go. Mylites are really good. 

As for conditions, keep them in the dark in an environment that's not to dry, but not to humid.  

People argue slabs add protection and there is some merit to that. But I've never had a book slabbed to protect it. 

First, comic books start to deteriorate as soon as they are printed due to the acids in the paper and inks used, printing techniques/paper used are better today than they were in the 40's - 70's/80's when everything was printed on newsprint.

You can never completely stop the degrading process, you can only slow it down by using the proper storage conditions, is everyone's home environment like the Smithsonian or the Library Of Congress, no, you do the best that you can, just remember, the more a book has to keep adjusting to its environment the more acids are released which speeds up the degrading process.

Books should be placed in Mylites with an Acid Free Board and then stored in a controlled environment, 40 - 65 degrees, 40-60% humidity, away from all UV light, away from all sources of heat, moisture, air vents and food products to avoid bug and mouse chew, not stored in an unfinished basement, garage or attic.

Note: As far as protection goes, CGC slabs do not offer more protection than a Mylite/Board, they are not airtight nor are they UV protected so slabs need to be stored in the same conditions as raw books.

Maintaining the proper temp and humidity is probably the toughest part, I live in an apartment, heat is on in the winter, A/C is on in the summer, windows are open in the spring and fall, are the temp and humidity always consistent in the 40-65 degree/40-60% humidity range?, no, but these are the conditions of normal everyday life, the best most folks can do, including myself.

There are exceptions to every rule, the Edgar Church collection was supposedly stored in a basement and closets with the books piled on top of each other (no bags or boards) and this collection is one of the best (if not the best) pedigree collection ever found.

Chances are that if the books are stored properly and do not receive any physical damage from reading/opening the book they will outlive all of us. I am still surprised any books from the 40's-60's survived, I grew up in the 60's, we drew on them, colored on them, removed pinups, filled out/cut out coupons, they were folded and put in my pocket while riding my bike home from the pharmacy were the book was purchased, if you left them lying around they became coasters, fly swatters or Mom just threw them out, but, miraculously they survived and they are still here.

About a year ago my Sister asked me to sell her 30 book collection of Romance Comics ranging from the 50's - 70's. She gave them to me in a paper bag that was stored in her attic. The first book I took out of the bag literally fell apart in my hands, crumbled to dust and was never to be seen again, the others were not as bad. I immediately called her and asked where they were stored and sent pics of the disintegrated book and that's when she told me about the attic and said "I shouldn't have done that?"

When purchasing an older book, the one thing you do not want is brittleness of the pages, that means the book has entered its final days of exitance.

Storage?  Dark, cool, dry and off the floor so there's no worry about flooding.  Also doesn't hurt to think about were water pipes are running above  your storage.  For raw books oversized mylars with halfbacks or fullbacks and placed inside a top loader.

I see a lot of white page books coming from my region because it's cool and dry.

One big question is storage vs access. How often do you want to look at your comics? Or have you just stacked your longboxes high and listed the comics in a database never to see them again? I made the mistake of saving every comic I ever bought even if it was rubbish (condition wise or content wise).

Many years ago I read about the EC file copies. They were mint because they had been stored for 20 years in metal filing cabinets. I still think metal filing cabinets are preferable to cardboard boxes. My choice was metal boxes. I am currently in the process of erecting sturdy industrial metal shelving which will house 40 of these boxes on the lower shelves. Then I can slide each box out for easy access. The higher shelves can contain my books. 

IMG_0343.thumb.JPG.751775dd0c4bccabe65fe40d2baba30c.JPG

On 6/15/2024 at 12:49 PM, Yorick said:

Maybe do some research on the Dead Sea Scrolls.  (shrug)  What are the oldest surviving paper items?

Aren't the D.S.S on parchment? I don't think many paper objects date back to the Middle Ages, let alone Pre-Christian days.

On 6/27/2024 at 8:37 AM, shadroch said:

Aren't the D.S.S on parchment? I don't think many paper objects date back to the Middle Ages, let alone Pre-Christian days.

I'd suppose parchment might be the best example as that is a type of paper, rather than the Gutenberg Bible which is vellum (animal skin).  There was a find of inventory/shipping orders for the rock slabs used in the construction of the pyramids.  Another plant based sheet.  Those were in clay sealed jars within sealed off rooms.

Bagged, boarded, kept upright in a stiff box on a shelf and don't obsess too much. Keep them accessible or else you'll lose interest in them. If they are in the domestic equivalent of Fort Knox you'll soon lose the urge to go grab a particular book to see if Shirley Gorman got a letter published that month. :peace:

Edited by LowGradeBronze

On 6/27/2024 at 8:37 AM, shadroch said:

I'd love to get some papyrus floppies. lol