• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Print Dead?
1 1

56 posts in this topic

On 6/13/2024 at 12:18 PM, Mr Sneeze said:

64230076431__1183F662-F220-44BC-A096-4A4F71C33E87.thumb.jpeg.e69320f792884a5fecd494d4b16aa535.jpeg

IMG_0808.thumb.jpeg.0ec2ca9557a0dd25de47867c6f004c79.jpeg

There is a third section I don’t have a picture handy of but I am down to under a 1000 now. Used to be over 2000. We love our books, what else can be said. My parents surrounded us in books so I guess it stuck. Had a plumber remark they are good insulation.

I see things like this two or three times a month and I ask the owners how much they will pay for me to remove them?   I have one customer who buys books, and she only wants vintage ones for her themed rentals in Bisbee

On 6/13/2024 at 11:25 PM, SilverShadows said:

There is something very rich about holding a book in your hand compared to reading a screen. The small businesses are all closing, we have less choices. It's all coming, a change I don't particularly look forward to. But I'll hold onto the things I love. 

For me, there's room for both.  I'm quite the opposite, preferring to read digitally, though I intend to retain my collected edition Archives, Masterworks, Omnis and Absolutes, etc.

I do hope that comics will continue being capable of opposing the trend for printed media, and the physical option remains available for those who enjoy it more. I don't wish ill of it.

On 6/13/2024 at 5:35 PM, shadroch said:

I see things like this two or three times a month and I ask the owners how much they will pay for me to remove them?   I have one customer who buys books, and she only wants vintage ones for her themed rentals in Bisbee

Sad

On 6/13/2024 at 8:37 PM, Robot Man said:

Our local B&N is always busy and bustling. They have a large toy and children’s book section and magazine section that is also busy. They also have a large record, dvd and video game section. Also a coffee house. It doesn’t hurt it is right next to the theatres and dining. It is a fun place to go.

People like to browse and pick up things. Books are often impulse items. I rarely leave there without something. 

Ours is like that too, also only one. I can kill a couple hours in there easy. Right around the corner from the Regal Cinema, 5 Guys, Center Street Cafe', Paul's Deli, the LCS, and a cool guitar shop with a pool hall next door. They make it hard to say no ... one of those New Town Centers that are popping up from coast to coast. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Here's your kind of place, and I'm not talking McDonald's ...

MERMAID BOOKS.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

On 6/13/2024 at 8:50 PM, Jayman said:

Going there tomorrow after work with some friends! :cloud9:

Next to the Movie Tavern, we used to have a burger joint that had a half pound burger (maybe it was a pound...), if you could eat the whole thing plus the fries, it was free and you got your mug shot on the wall. That thing was a big mamba jamba. I crashed and burned, too much. GOD BLESS ... 

Edited by jimjum12

On 6/13/2024 at 10:12 AM, Robot Man said:

I have worked in the Graphic Design and Printing field my whole life. For years I have seen the decline of the need of printed material. Glad I made it out alive. So many great print shops in my area have closed.

Book stores new or used are closing in droves. Hard to believe comic stores aren’t next.

Costco has now made the decision to stop selling books. My local grocery store has eliminated magazines. We only have one Barnes & Noble store still open.

Music and record stores for the most part even with the resurgence of vinyl are things of the past. Are paper mediums next?

The internet has killed all interest in holding a book, magazine or newspaper in your hands. Am I just the last dinosaur left?

Very sad…

I think some of the reasons local bookstores and whatnot are closing are simply because of Amazon.  Amazon dominates the book market, whether it be physical or digital.  There were stats I've read that they sell over 50% of all physical books, something like 90% of all physical books online, etc.  They also dominate digital books.  Most people that want physical or digital/Kindle copies of books simply go to Amazon.  I know I do.  For anything comic book-related, I probably prefer buying physical books.  Back when I was doing some coding, I also preferred physical books because the text/code in digital books always looked wonky or was broken up weird.  But for any other topic, I'm a Kindle guy for the most part unless they don't offer a Kindle version.

On 6/13/2024 at 7:56 PM, jimjum12 said:

Next to the Movie Tavern, we used to have a burger joint that had a half pound burger (maybe it was a pound...), if you could eat the whole thing plus the fries, it was free and you got your mug shot on the wall. That thing was a big mamba jamba. I crashed and burned, too much. GOD BLESS ... 

I think 1/2 -1 lb burgers nowadays are pretty common.  I've seen 9 lbs burger challenges that make me say "good grief", though.

Print was certainly not dead when I whipped out this a couple weeks ago :cloud9:

READ BOOKS! Memes, acronyms, and emojis are not meat and potatoes for the mind.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. GOD BLESS ... 

100_3562.JPG

On 6/14/2024 at 9:15 PM, Mmehdy said:

I prefer in my hands the book over the computer....90 do also. Just look at those Taschen Marvel comics Libary books....hold that FF vol 1 in your hands....it is fantastic

As much as I like digital, I’ll still keep hold of my collected edition books.

Eggs in several baskets. No need for me to be a prophet of doom.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I don’t think Print is dead. I think It’s just less physically Accessible than it used to be . You can pretty much order anything you want online now. Libraries are a good source and I’m in an area(LA) where the libraries are great . Maybe it’s because I’m in a big market area for Print. I don’t know. 

Edited by auboy77

A local half price books, I just found out has closed. I don't remember an email, closing sale, or anything. I just went by today, and totally vacant. I remember going by before the June 7th comic con, I remember too that it had been a while, as I had been saving money. Sign on the vacant door said they left May 5th. I had Google, and it doesn't appear that they had opened elsewhere and etc. But there are still several in the metroplex.

Just perplexing

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 6/13/2024 at 8:56 PM, jimjum12 said:

Five Guy cheeseburger with grilled onions and fresh jalapeño peppers. Peanut butter milkshake is a must too! :cloud9:

IMG_3592.jpeg