• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newly graded book with shaken comic syndrome from shipping
3 3

10 posts in this topic

I just got a shipment of books back from CGC, and one of the books appears to have gotten damaged during shipping--what is referred to as 'shaken comic syndrome', where the book is jarred (likely by the package being handled too roughly) enough that the inside pages slip while the cover stays in place due to being held tightly by the well. The book in question appears to have shifted about 1-2mm, causing small tears at both staples.

My question is: how will CGC deal with this? It's a 9.8 book (I had submitted initially to modern and CGC upgraded it to High Value) worth about $1,500, and it will now be very difficult for me to sell. Can CGC reimburse me for any of the value? And if so, how will they determine the reimbursement amount? This almost certainly happened during shipping, as the scans do not show the damage, and it was damaged when I removed it from the box CGC shipped the book in. As far as I understand, CGC is liable if damage occurs during shipping.

I've provided pictures of the damage below.

UXMDamage-1.jpg

UXMDamage-2.jpg

UXMDamage-3.jpg

UXMDamage-4.jpg

UXMDamage-5.jpg

UXMDamage-6.jpg

Edited by Nschenks
grammar

• Administrator

Hi @Nschenks,

Thank you for contacting us. Please send this book back within 14 days for us to look over the damage as a mechanical error. Once the team reviews the book and they feel that they need to start a claim due to the shipping damage they will do so. I have sent you a private email with the instructions on how to send this back to us. We apologize for this situation. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Posted (edited)

Hi, following up with this—I just got a notification (and text from FedEx) that my ME for this book has “shipped”. What does that mean? This was a 9.8 damaged during shipping to the point (imo) where is isn’t 9.8 anymore. I never heard anything from customer service, so can I assume they just re-slabbed my book, regardless of the very clear tears at the staples? If so, this is a little concerning. Not hearing anything from customer service about this, even just to say “hey, we recognize the damage but still think it’s 9.8” would be nice, even if I don’t agree.

Edited by Nschenks

Posted (edited)
On 7/9/2024 at 4:51 PM, Nschenks said:

Hi, following up with this—I just got a notification (and text from FedEx) that my ME for this book has “shipped”. What does that mean? This was a 9.8 damaged during shipping to the point (imo) where is isn’t 9.8 anymore. I never heard anything from customer service, so can I assume they just re-slabbed my book, regardless of the very clear tears at the staples? If so, this is a little concerning. Not hearing anything from customer service about this, even just to say “hey, we recognize the damage but still think it’s 9.8” would be nice, even if I don’t agree.

Just checked the CGC verification and it appears the book was indeed re-slabbed (new scans have replaced the old) with the cover moved back into place and the staple tears hidden, as well as a wedge to keep the book more firmly in place. Is this a normal practice? To re-slab a book that was damaged during shipping (even if it was a small amount)? It's not like the interior shifted without affecting the cover--those staple tears exist where they didn't before shipping. If y'all truly believe the damage wasn't enough to drop it below 9.8, fine, but I would love to have some feedback instead of just getting a shipping notification and no other information. Not trying to be difficult, but the lack of communication here is a little frustrating.

Edited by Nschenks

• Administrator
On 7/9/2024 at 9:41 PM, Nschenks said:

Just checked the CGC verification and it appears the book was indeed re-slabbed (new scans have replaced the old) with the cover moved back into place and the staple tears hidden, as well as a wedge to keep the book more firmly in place. Is this a normal practice? To re-slab a book that was damaged during shipping (even if it was a small amount)? It's not like the interior shifted without affecting the cover--those staple tears exist where they didn't before shipping. If y'all truly believe the damage wasn't enough to drop it below 9.8, fine, but I would love to have some feedback instead of just getting a shipping notification and no other information. Not trying to be difficult, but the lack of communication here is a little frustrating.

Hello @Nschenks, thank you for following up with us. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't receive any communication regarding your recent mechanical error submission. I checked in on this for you and the graders confirmed that the 9.8 overall grade was not impacted. As such, a claim was not needed as there was no loss in grade. We apologize for any inconvenience or frustration you have experienced. Thank you again for following up with us and please let us know if we may assist you in the future. 

On 7/10/2024 at 6:23 AM, JuliaJ CS said:

Hello @Nschenks, thank you for following up with us. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't receive any communication regarding your recent mechanical error submission. I checked in on this for you and the graders confirmed that the 9.8 overall grade was not impacted. As such, a claim was not needed as there was no loss in grade. We apologize for any inconvenience or frustration you have experienced. Thank you again for following up with us and please let us know if we may assist you in the future. 

Thanks for following up Julia. If they think it’s still 9.8, I suppose I’ll have to accept that. I think in the future, though, more communication about this kind of mechanical error would be nice.

Appreciate the quick response though.

Looks like it might be an issue with new slabs. Just got my order in and looks like I might have same issue with 2 maybe 3 of my books. This has me really concerned about sending in more books to get graded. I noticed all of them seem to move a tad inside the slab.

@Nschenks Let me know if issue was fixed when you got your book back.

Edited by Skytripa

On 7/11/2024 at 1:03 PM, Skytripa said:

Looks like it might be an issue with new slabs. Just got my order in and looks like I might have same issue with 2 maybe 3 of my books. This has me really concerned about sending in more books to get graded. I noticed all of them seem to move a tad inside the slab.

@Nschenks Let me know if issue was fixed when you got your book back.

Will do. It wasn't the only book in the sub affected, but luckily the other one had very minimal damage. Still, this poses a potentially big problem. If slabs can't take normal wear and tear from shipping from CGC, then maybe that aspect needs to be reassessed.

On 7/13/2024 at 3:13 PM, Nschenks said:

Will do. It wasn't the only book in the sub affected, but luckily the other one had very minimal damage. Still, this poses a potentially big problem. If slabs can't take normal wear and tear from shipping from CGC, then maybe that aspect needs to be reassessed.

So i happened to look through my order. Happens to be my first ever order sent which has me very discouraged. All 6 books are warped inside the slab. If you look at them from the side you can see they are not straight. 5 of the 6 have damage of some sort some more than others/

On 7/9/2024 at 7:51 PM, Nschenks said:

If they're still calling that book a 9.8 with those staple tears, that is ridiculous. Whoever buys that book from you as a 9.8 will be the victim.