• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Gerber or Bill Cole backing boards still really the best?

34 posts in this topic

On 6/18/2024 at 5:24 PM, Hepcat said:

The ComicPro Line SBS boards. They're smooth and glossy though which is very much unlike the Gerber Half-Backs and Bill Cole Thin X-Tenders I've been using.

(shrug)

If I recall, its been many years since I've seen one, BCW boards are like that.

As an aside, I'll note that when I submit comic books to CGC for grading I place each comic book in a regular silver age size bag and use two regular silver age boards to support them. I also use more boards to support each large plastic bag holding five comics books. This has always worked, the comic books arriving at CGC secure and undamaged. I purchase the bags and boards from Hot Flips.

I don't use acid free bags and boards for this because, at least for me, they are far too expensive to use that way.

On 6/19/2024 at 1:51 AM, ttfitz said:

Just thought I would point out, since you said you were using halfbacks, that the halfbacks are still white on both sides.

That's great then! I like the space saving feature of Half-Backs and since I'm the only one ever pawing through my comics I don't need the extra sturdiness.

(thumbsu

On 6/19/2024 at 2:05 AM, Domo Arigato said:

Their "Full-Backs" went from 42 pt thickness down to 35 pt.....and they now leave one side brown.

Two asinine decisions that keep me from using them.

Agreed.  Very frustrating.  I've switched to using the Comic Pro Line 56 pt boards with a Gerber half-back in front.  It provides great acid neutralized contact with a great sturdy backing.  A little pricier, but worth it IMO.  

On 6/19/2024 at 8:18 PM, Telegan said:

All my raws are in Half-Backs and Mylites2's.

You don't find Mylite2's too much more difficult to use than Mylites? Can they be flattened at the seal as readily as can Mylites? I'm not keen on anything that would increase the bulkiness of the comics I'm storing in my filing cabinets.

???

On 6/19/2024 at 8:25 PM, buttock said:

I've switched to using the Comic Pro Line 56 pt boards with a Gerber half-back in front.  It provides great acid neutralized contact with a great sturdy backing.  

So you find the ComicPro Line boards acceptably acid free over the years?

???

I use Comic Pro Line's bags for anything not "worthy" of a Mylite (because I just can't afford thousands and thousands of Mylites) with E Gerber boards because I really like the CPL bags, random quality control issues aside.  (I'm still working on bagging and boarding everything this way, so I hopefully never have to do it again.)

I'm really not very impressed with the thickness of Half-Backs, although the last two batches I've gotten have felt a lot stiffer and sturdier than previous ones.  I don't think the Comic Pro Line boards are fully buffered, though, which is the only reason I haven't gone with them.  However, I see on their website that they're coated on both sides, and from what I've seen, that type of board usually holds up pretty well over a few years.  hm

On 6/20/2024 at 1:58 PM, Hepcat said:

I'm sorry. I misunderstood.

:smile:

Maybe there's a little off-gassing, but it's probably inconsequential.  Especially relative to what the book itself releases.  

On 6/20/2024 at 3:09 PM, buttock said:

Maybe there's a little off-gassing, but it's probably inconsequential.  Especially relative to what the book itself releases.  

This. 

The comic is the more volatile of the two by far. The comic poses a greater risk to the board than the board to the book. 

If it’s within one’s budget to use Mylar and halfbacks (or fullbacks) for everything, that’s great, but my bronze Richie Rich comics are going to remain in their poly prisons for the foreseeable future. 

On 6/20/2024 at 11:25 AM, Hepcat said:

You don't find Mylite2's too much more difficult to use than Mylites? Can they be flattened at the seal as readily as can Mylites? I'm not keen on anything that would increase the bulkiness of the comics I'm storing in my filing cabinets.

???

They have Mylites?  I only see Mylites2 and Mylites4 on the website.  The 4's are a bit unwieldy from what I read, but I've never used them.  For the raw comics, I don't really have an issue with the Mylites2's.  I had more issue with using some Full Backs as they take up more space when you factor in the amount of comics in a short or long box.  So I've always used the Half Backs (I do still have the original pack of Full Backs I bought, that I suppose I should use).  The legal-size bags I use for slabs (Mylites2 914M2) can be a bit unwieldy folding the flap because the corners really jut out when closed, but nothing too horrible.

Edited by Telegan

Posted (edited)
On 6/20/2024 at 7:02 PM, Telegan said:

They have Mylites?  I only see Mylites2 and Mylites4 on the website.

Right you are! Which probably explains why local dealers told me that the Mylites2 which they have are "better". xD I see though that Bill Cole Enterprises still has Arklites.

On 6/20/2024 at 7:02 PM, Telegan said:

I had more issue with using some Full Backs as they take up more space when you factor in the amount of comics in a short or long box.  So I've always used the Half Backs 

That's why I too prefer the Half-Backs or Thin X-Tenders.

:smile:

Edited by Hepcat