• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Am Changing My Collecting Focus
4 4

34 posts in this topic

Good luck with the new focus! Through out my life, my collecting focus has changed and evolved several times. 

I think you'll enjoy the challenge of upgrading. That might require selling down parts of your collection to help fund the upgrades - but enjoying the process is all that really matters! 

On 6/18/2024 at 9:43 PM, Math Teacher said:

By the end of this week, I will have a combination of 272 CGC and <other company> slabs. I am looking for, at most, eight more slabs ([Justice League of America #3, #8, #10], [Atom #3, #8], Batman #232, Showcase #30, and Giant-Size X-Men #1, plus I will be sending in my raw copy of My Greatest Adventure #80 for grading.

After that, I really think that I will be done with obtaining issues that I don't currently have. My focus is going to change to upgrading issues that I already have in my collection. I have already upgraded several issues (ASM #13 and #14, DD #7, FF #4, #6, and #12) already this year. My two priorities for upgrading will be ASM #4 (currently I have a CGC 3.5) and Strange Tales #110 (currently I have a CGC 3.0).

My next upgrades are going to require a lot of scrimping and saving. I would like to have nicer copies of ASM #1, FF #1, and X-Men #1. Even if I sell my current copies, it will still require substantial sums of money to get the grades that I am looking for.

At one time, I thought that I might work toward obtaining both ASM #1 - #50 and FF #1 - #50 in slabs. However, the fact of the matter is that I just don't have room for another 45+ slabs. I truly envy people like @Straw-Man and @WernerVonDoom with their magnificent copies and runs of Fantastic Four and Spider-Man, but I just don't think that would be a good use of my money. 

My wife and I are both in our mid-60s, and there are still a lot of places that we want to see before we are too old to travel any more. I think spending $20,000 on a trip to China or Japan or Great Britain or France would be a better use of our money than for me to spend $20,000 to obtain an FF #1 in CGC 5.0.

Has anyone else reached this point in your collecting careers? Do you find that it is as much fun as obtaining issues that you never had?

Anyway, that's my plan, and I hope that I can stick to it. Only time will tell.

Sounds like a good plan. My want list back in the 80s and 90s was every Silver/Bronze Marvel in highish grade. For the past 15 years, I've exclusively focused on upgrading my FF run and it's still as fun as ever. My only problem is that I'm down to only 22 books I think I want to upgrade and they are all crazy rare or $$$$.

On 6/18/2024 at 9:43 PM, Math Teacher said:

By the end of this week, I will have a combination of 272 CGC and <other company> slabs. I am looking for, at most, eight more slabs ([Justice League of America #3, #8, #10], [Atom #3, #8], Batman #232, Showcase #30, and Giant-Size X-Men #1, plus I will be sending in my raw copy of My Greatest Adventure #80 for grading.

After that, I really think that I will be done with obtaining issues that I don't currently have. My focus is going to change to upgrading issues that I already have in my collection. I have already upgraded several issues (ASM #13 and #14, DD #7, FF #4, #6, and #12) already this year. My two priorities for upgrading will be ASM #4 (currently I have a CGC 3.5) and Strange Tales #110 (currently I have a CGC 3.0).

My next upgrades are going to require a lot of scrimping and saving. I would like to have nicer copies of ASM #1, FF #1, and X-Men #1. Even if I sell my current copies, it will still require substantial sums of money to get the grades that I am looking for.

At one time, I thought that I might work toward obtaining both ASM #1 - #50 and FF #1 - #50 in slabs. However, the fact of the matter is that I just don't have room for another 45+ slabs. I truly envy people like @Straw-Man and @WernerVonDoom with their magnificent copies and runs of Fantastic Four and Spider-Man, but I just don't think that would be a good use of my money. 

My wife and I are both in our mid-60s, and there are still a lot of places that we want to see before we are too old to travel any more. I think spending $20,000 on a trip to China or Japan or Great Britain or France would be a better use of our money than for me to spend $20,000 to obtain an FF #1 in CGC 5.0.

Has anyone else reached this point in your collecting careers? Do you find that it is as much fun as obtaining issues that you never had?

Anyway, that's my plan, and I hope that I can stick to it. Only time will tell.

It's nice that you have a focused plan and know the books you want to acquire/upgrade.

I'm going through the same thing right now, and plan to start selling books for titles where I know I won't be able to complete the runs I wanted to acquire.

Good luck!

Well I just had a great change of mindset too a week ago, I'm now looking only for coverless or eventually poor... just want a nice inside and complete... my goal is now to acquire the most stories of the charachters I'm collecting, it's so funny to hunt for them because we dont see these gems often, yeah coverless can be more hard to find than good condition books who are just easier to acquire if you put the money on the table... i look everywhere to find some GA,SA coverless keys, the idea to get piece of history for a penny is so enjoyable!

On 6/19/2024 at 10:07 AM, BA773 said:

Well I just had a great change of mindset too a week ago, I'm now looking only for coverless or eventually poor... just want a nice inside and complete... my goal is now to acquire the most stories of the charachters I'm collecting, it's so funny to hunt for them because we dont see these gems often, yeah coverless can be more hard to find than good condition books who are just easier to acquire if you put the money on the table... i look everywhere to find some GA,SA coverless keys, the idea to get piece of history for a penny is so enjoyable!

Maybe a day a first Bat or Supes? Who know? But at the moment is just a dream, I'm a random guy from the middle-low monetary class, an affordable goal and a personal graail would be an All star 3

I've shifted focus a few times over the years. At first I wanted to complete the entire first series run of Fantastic Four that I started when I was a kid. I got to within 5 issues of completion when I realized that the cost of getting the last of the books I needed would be roughly the amount of buying a new car. Cant drive a slab to work every morning, so I decided to sell off my FFs to diversify my collection. 

The latest shift that happened within the past year or so is I started to sell off most of my books under 1k and focus on consolidating proceeds from that into more valuable comics I enjoy. It is mostly about freeing up space since many hundreds of slabs take up a tremendous amount of room. 

I'll almost certainly shift again at some point. If someone offers up an AF15 for a few 3-5k slabs I would probably do it. 

I’ve evolved over the years as well. Something I always wonder is “what if I really buckled down and worked to acquire ASM 1-600. And maybe Spec Spidey (entire run) and Marvel Team up. 

To do this though would require me to sell off around 2500 books (for which I would definitely get enough moolah from to get a 2.0 AF 15 and similar for ASM 1 as well as the others I need early in that run). My issue is I love many of those 2500 books. I worry that I would miss them more than completing that run. It’s a hard commitment to make as I am really happy collecting the best bargain and books I can find that suit my many joys. Pigeonholing into one (albeit a big one that many love) is something I don’t know if I could do 

Edited by comicginger1789

On 6/19/2024 at 6:17 PM, KPR Comics said:

I’ve bought and sold two complete Iron Man runs from ToS 39 through IM 332.  I’m on my third and 4th. This time a high grade raw run and a reader run.  Thrill of the hunt is where it’s at for me. 

I have to be honest. I miss the days where we stopped at multiple comic book stores when we were on vacation in the hope of finding an issue that I didn't have. Now, you don't have to put forth much effort in trying to find an issue you need. You have Ebay, you have IG, you have Facebook, you have these boards, etc. Mind you, I am mainly a SA guy, so I know that you GA collectors might not have it as easy as I have had it.

It took me sometime, and idk if I still can pin down a collecting focus.

I believe it is 1st, 2nd, and 3rd appearances, covers I like, but I've done a few runs too, which some are near completion. It has become too general a description? Lol