• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Missing pages a manufacturing defect?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Today, I decided to read my just arrived copy of Captain Marvel #22, the first appearance of Mr. Mind. However, he isn't there. The reason is that the comic is missing the centerfold (pgs 33-36). After looking at it carefully, it looks to me like the page may have never been in the comic, a manufacturing defect. I'm returning it because it is incomplete, but it made me curious how such a thing is treated when graded, assuming that is what happened here. If the pages weren't removed, then the comic wasn't damaged by removing pages, though it is incomplete.

CM22.jpg

Edited by paqart
rotated image

As is, the book is incomplete, if it were determined to be an actual bindery/printing defect I would assume that CGC would give this book a "Green Qualified" label grading the book as if the centerfold was present but noting that it is missing on the label, rather than a "Universal Blue" label with a grade of PR 0.5 incomplete, missing centerfold.

There are a small niche of collectors that collect bindery defect books, I have an F.F. Annual 1 that has part 1 of the story printed twice while omitting part 2, basically that book would also be considered incomplete, the book was given to me as a Christmas gift back in 81/82 and I did not say anything since the folks that bought it went to a lot of trouble to find it, there was no internet.

Fantastic-Four-Annual-1-GD-VG-3-0-With-B

Fantastic-Four-Annual-1-Part-1.jpg

Fantastic-Four-Annual-1-Part-2.jpg

Trying to determine if the printer didn't put the sheets in or whether someone later ripped the pages out has got to be the most difficult error to ID.  I'd guess that CGC would give a 0.5 every time (or Qualified).

Green Label: (Hoping to get it signed at NYCC so it will become yellow/green hybrid.)

Label Text: MANUFACTURED WITH FIRST 4 WRAPS INSERTED TWICE & 4 CENTER WRAPS MISSING, AFFECTS STORY. INCOMPLETE.

Pedigree: MANUFACTURING ERROR/INCOMPLETE

Grader Notes: Right Bottom Back Cover Crease

Screen Shot 2024-06-29 at 9.34.14 AM.png