• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JSA Kirby from 2017 Doesn’t Pass CGC/JSA Today
2 2

20 posts in this topic

My guess is that, in the last 7 years, JSA has gotten wiser about how to differentiate Jack's signature from Roz's.

On 7/3/2024 at 1:13 PM, Ryan. said:

My guess is that, in the last 7 years, JSA has gotten wiser about how to differentiate Jack's signature from Roz's.

Perhaps. Still not great if you bought it thinking that it had been authenticated by a reputable company. Didn’t the other company just stop doing Jack sigs altogether? 

This is a pretty bad look; that is a JSA full letter of authentication not the sticker option. It is much more in depth and more expensive. I would keep the letter with the comic and include it with the next sell.

I have probably a dozen authentic Jack Kirby signatures (the benefit of living in San Diego and attending SDCC since the first one of which Mr. Kirby was a yearly guest). I'm probably not adding anything helpful to the above comments, and I can't speak to verifications by James Spence. However, I have never seen a Jack Kirby signature where Jack added a line underneath his signature. I'm not saying it couldn't have happened..., but I've never seen it. 

I'm sorry that this has happened to anyone. 

I kinda think it shows that they're taking it seriously NOW.  Doesn't quite speak to the integrity as a whole though.

Not a good look.  They either screwed up then or now and either way at this point they should deal with the pie on their face. 

On 7/3/2024 at 9:12 PM, Buzzetta said:

Not a good look.  They either screwed up then or now and either way at this point they should deal with the pie on their face. 

How did they screw up? They collected twice and might get a third fee since the first two didn't settle anything. Your problem is that you're thinking like a customer.

On 7/4/2024 at 2:54 PM, shadroch said:

How did they screw up? They collected twice and might get a third fee since the first two didn't settle anything. Your problem is that you're thinking like a customer.

And you are thinking short term. 

I am thinking like a business. 

They just demonstrated a lack of reliability.   For example, I sent that to a few people and one person immediately said, "F that, I am not sending them anything."

On 7/4/2024 at 12:19 PM, Buzzetta said:

They just demonstrated a lack of reliability.   For example, I sent that to a few people and one person immediately said, "F that, I am not sending them anything."

Of course, I'm thinking short-term.    The corporate masters care more about quarterly reports than quality control.

On 7/3/2024 at 4:30 PM, davidtere said:

I have probably a dozen authentic Jack Kirby signatures (the benefit of living in San Diego and attending SDCC since the first one of which Mr. Kirby was a yearly guest). I'm probably not adding anything helpful to the above comments, and I can't speak to verifications by James Spence. However, I have never seen a Jack Kirby signature where Jack added a line underneath his signature. I'm not saying it couldn't have happened..., but I've never seen it. 

I'm sorry that this has happened to anyone. 

I agree. Jack did not underline his signatures. At any rate, not on any signatures of his that I've ever seen from sources with in-person provenance. As you stated, it's not beyond the realm of possibility just because someone hasn't seen it, but aside from the entirely atypical underline, the characteristics of the signature look indicative of either Roz Kirby's proxy signature or a forger mistakenly copying a Roz signed Kirby for their forging exemplar and not Jack's true signature. 

In my estimation, the examiner blew the first call and got it right the second time around, better late than never. Three tries for a quarter? :wishluck:

On 7/4/2024 at 3:19 PM, Buzzetta said:

Same. A friend has a signed FF49 slabbed by CBCS and was going to cross it over, but now said he’ll just leave it alone.