• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just received this "9.8"
1 1

33 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)
On 7/6/2024 at 8:51 AM, JDH-84 said:

Better pic

20240706_094928.jpg

ok mine has one of those

but mine is in the middle of the book that almost looks as though it is being "folded", and the book in the slab is not flat but has an arc to it.

I don't blame your concerns given recent admissions, I think it is still a 9.8, but reflects bad on cgc more than anything :shy: 

"They gave that 9.8?" When we know it "was" but how do we now "look at it?" :ohnoez: and if it isn't the arc of the book in the inner well and yours is flat? then what is it? :roflmao: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/6/2024 at 6:04 AM, JollyComics said:

OMG, seriously???

I have seen a similar CGC 9.8 copper age DC that seems to have experienced pressing reversion so now looks like a legit CGC 9.0 in a 9.8 slab. This was 11 days ago.

Posted (edited)
On 7/6/2024 at 10:39 AM, aardvark88 said:

I have seen a similar CGC 9.8 copper age DC that seems to have experienced pressing reversion so now looks like a legit CGC 9.0 in a 9.8 slab. This was 11 days ago.

What legit?  What did we see the legit?  What did CGC see the legit?

Muppets gif. Beaker with his red hair and large mouth raises his hands in the air and shakes violently in horror.

Edited by JollyComics

I wanted to offload a CGC 9.8 from my last submission.  It has the warped inner well and several spine ticks.  Everyone who has looked at it was not at all interested when I pointed those problems out.  This was a book pressed by CGC's in-house service.  Looks worse than when sent in.  Copper age Spiderman comic.  :(

On 7/5/2024 at 10:39 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Seeing what gets a 9.9 these days, there's no reason to doubt this grade.

It seems like CGC's grades have been getting softer and softer over the past three years. It seems like the shift occurred around the time that Blackstone purchased the company. That can't be a coincidence. I have to believe that the word came down from on high to relax the grading (in order to encourage resubmissions, most likely). Many of us were blown away by the soft grades on the Promise Collection books that surfaced a few years ago, but now the grading on other books is closing the gap.

On 7/6/2024 at 12:32 PM, Yorick said:

I wanted to offload a CGC 9.8 from my last submission.  It has the warped inner well and several spine ticks.  Everyone who has looked at it was not at all interested when I pointed those problems out.  This was a book pressed by CGC's in-house service.  Looks worse than when sent in.  Copper age Spiderman comic.  :(

Too many untrained people. They are underpaid. I think.

On 7/6/2024 at 9:41 AM, ThothAmon said:

Seems like this is a disadvantage in the modern comics market that really doesn’t exist in golden age and silver books. I’ve sold hundreds of slabs over the years with zero asks for returns/refunds. 

It's threads like these that make me glad I don't collect high grade books.

• Administrator

@JDH-84  You can send this book back as a mechanical error.  Be sure to write ATTN:  Matt Nelson and press and regrade on the packing slip.  If you decide to do this, be sure to send me the tracking number when it ships.

Mike

On 7/6/2024 at 2:05 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

It seems like CGC's grades have been getting softer and softer over the past three years. It seems like the shift occurred around the time that Blackstone purchased the company. That can't be a coincidence. I have to believe that the word came down from on high to relax the grading (in order to encourage resubmissions, most likely). Many of us were blown away by the soft grades on the Promise Collection books that surfaced a few years ago, but now the grading on other books is closing the gap.

Its not just the past 3 years.

I recently bought a Walking Dead #6 CGC 9.8 and it was in an older slab...the kind without the page color under the grade.

It has 2 light bends on the back cover, 1 breaks color.

Theres also some horrific puddling going on back there but thats post grade stuff.

On 7/8/2024 at 2:06 PM, lostboys said:

I recently bought a Walking Dead #6 CGC 9.8 and it was in an older slab...the kind without the page color under the grade.

Theres also some horrific puddling going on back there but thats post grade stuff.

I have a few slabs with some puddling that if you move them just right, you get:

image.gif.caef32abe501f1d31db5a3197b28d525.gif

Posted (edited)
On 7/8/2024 at 2:06 PM, lostboys said:

There have been other soft periods.

People have said that many books graded around 2011 got very soft grades. When I buy books online, I check the slab date. If it was graded in 2011, give or take a few months, I look at it extra closely, and I have rejected quite a few books from that era because the true grade didn't appear to match the assigned grade. I've purchased a few books from that time period and been happy with the grades, but I think there's something to the observation that 2011 was a soft year at CGC.

Edited by jimbo_7071