• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EC Gaines File Copies

37 posts in this topic

On 7/11/2024 at 12:23 PM, vheflin said:

Nein.

Good to know.  Thank you.  That makes them pretty scarce in high grade I assume?

On 7/11/2024 at 12:46 PM, plady69 said:

Good to know.  Thank you.  That makes them pretty scarce in high grade I assume?

Scarce in any grade...

On 7/11/2024 at 12:46 PM, plady69 said:

Well, Tales of Terror 1 has only 2 copies at VF or better on the census, those could be $100k+ sales.

Second horror annual has 6 copies at VF and above.  Third annual has 21 copies at VF or better including a 9.8 (Gaines?).

Weird SF #1: 8 @ VF or better

Weird SF #2: 7 @ VF or better

Two-Fisted #1: 5 @ VF or better

Two-Fisted #2: 7 @ VF or better

*census population stats may be overstated

On 7/12/2024 at 5:17 AM, JollyComics said:

Since you are Bill Gaines File Copies experts, when did they open the vault and sell the file copies?

My understanding is that "the vault" was actually a closet in Bill Gaines' NY apartment.  They were brought to market in the early 1990s, just before Gaines's death. 

On 7/12/2024 at 6:21 PM, EastEnd1 said:

My understanding is that "the vault" was actually a closet in Bill Gaines' NY apartment.  They were brought to market in the early 1990s, just before Gaines's death. 

Oh my Gosh.

On 7/12/2024 at 4:29 PM, SpineTic said:

https://www.myslabbedcomics.com/pedigrees.asp?pid=23

EC publisher Bill Gaines stashed away 12 copies of nearly every issue puslished by EC Comics from 1950 to 1955.  With only one copy of the issue credited as being the beginning of the EC New Trend era (Vault of Horror #12) among all the comics stored wrapped in brown paper from the 1950s until they were unvieled in the 1990s, this collection is unparrelled in the quality of the comics, putting it #1 on the list for the average CGC grades for a pedigree.

Screenshot(262).png.cf59eb1f4a59168c4ab4fb28bddb59f5.png

Screenshot(263).png.36486c65d5ab57d0edb5e807f374a105.png

Screenshot(264).png.028c5e56af8a902e92bcfe791de8b696.png

I wish that was a sales thread!

On 7/12/2024 at 7:29 PM, SpineTic said:

EC publisher Bill Gaines stashed away 12 copies of nearly every issue puslished by EC Comics from 1950 to 1955.

It’s my unpopular golden age opinion that by doing this he irreversibly lowered the value of many a collectors collections. I own one although it may have been used for wrapping the golden age books. Think it was $50 all in from heritage back in the day. 

image.jpg

On 7/12/2024 at 7:26 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

For these books, census population stats are far more likely to be understated. EC books were widely collected long before the Gaines File copies surfaced. Many of the nicest copies have likely been locked up in private collections since before CGC was founded.

I agree that they're scarce in the marketplace compared to other EC horror issues, but I don't think that they're as rare as the census might lead one to believe. I think that the census numbers will grow as older fan-addicts age out of the hobby.

I agree.

:smile:

On 7/13/2024 at 9:11 AM, ThothAmon said:

It’s my unpopular golden age opinion that by doing this he irreversibly lowered the value of many a collectors collections. 

So sad. Those poor fellows. 

:50849494_winkemoji: