• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PSA To Grade Comics In 2025
8 8

219 posts in this topic

On 7/20/2024 at 9:50 AM, Ryan. said:

Significantly higher salary than what CGC offers.

Looks like it is more expensive to live there than Sarasota so that might come into play. 

in 2025, We need a volunteer (maybe one of the YouTubers) to simultaneously submit a sample of books from each Silver, Bronze, copper and modern to both CGC and PSA.   As soon as those come back, break them out and cross submit to the other grader.    Should give a sense of grading standards going both directions.  

Doesn’t need to be significant or expensive books  - but pushing on the more granular boundaries of the 9.4/6/8 range will be really valuable.  

Apparently this is who PSA was consulting, and made sign an NDA… take that for what you will. 

On 7/20/2024 at 10:22 AM, Buzzetta said:

Looks like it is more expensive to live there than Sarasota so that might come into play. 

Looks like?  It does!  

As a Floridian with friends whose daughter lives in CA, I can attest that it is indeed far more affordable to live here lol

Anyway as a lifelong card collector seeing PSA’s iconic red slab in comic book form is a dream come true. Absolutely beautiful! Everybody wins when there’s legit competition in a market so the most prestigious brand in cards/non comic collectibles entering the comic space is a win for everyone even CGC!

On 7/20/2024 at 1:11 PM, Cman429 said:

As a Floridian with friends whose daughter lives in CA, I can attest that it is indeed far more affordable to live here lol

Anyway as a lifelong card collector seeing PSA’s iconic red slab in comic book form is a dream come true. Absolutely beautiful! Everybody wins when there’s legit competition in a market so the most prestigious brand in cards/non comic collectibles entering the comic space is a win for everyone even CGC!

Yes, PSA want it all to match.  I can't wait to see the holder in person  

Considering they have the advantage of studying what collectors have been saying they want in their slabs for years, if not decades, they could do the following and immediately convert a large chunk of people over: Offer some level of UV protection by default in their slabs. That's it. They could do that and charge more than CGC, which would position them as the 'premium' slab option. Why bother fighting for the casual market share when there is a gap in the market to position yourself as a premium offering (which would also allow them to keep the operation smaller. Basically, be the grading company equivalent that Neo Geo was during the fourth generation of video game consoles)

On 7/20/2024 at 11:58 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Considering they have the advantage of studying what collectors have been saying they want in their slabs for years, if not decades, they could do the following and immediately convert a large chunk of people over: Offer some level of UV protection by default in their slabs. That's it. They could do that and charge more than CGC, which would position them as the 'premium' slab option. Why bother fighting for the casual market share when there is a gap in the market to position yourself as a premium offering (which would also allow them to keep the operation smaller. Basically, be the grading company equivalent that Neo Geo was during the fourth generation of video game consoles)

They could, and I hope they do, as those are the sorts of things that competition drives others to also be better (like CGC). But I wouldn’t hold my breath. They’ve been slabbing cards for a long time and don’t have UV protection in their cases on cards. I remember a video on YouTube some guy did a couple years back comparing leaving CGC, BGS, and PSA cards in the sun as an experiment and PSA actually faded the most of the 3. So expecting them to somehow become the best at that offering when they’re the worst at it in the card world seems quite optimistic. 

On 7/20/2024 at 3:20 PM, wiparker824 said:

They could, and I hope they do, as those are the sorts of things that competition drives others to also be better (like CGC). But I wouldn’t hold my breath. They’ve been slabbing cards for a long time and don’t have UV protection in their cases on cards. I remember a video on YouTube some guy did a couple years back comparing leaving CGC, BGS, and PSA cards in the sun as an experiment and PSA actually faded the most of the 3. So expecting them to somehow become the best at that offering when they’re the worst at it in the card world seems quite optimistic. 

It is a little disingenuous to say they are outright 'the worst at it' when all of them fail UV protection (CGC being 5% higher isn't close to a pass...even BGS which had around 50% is still not appropriate for protection when the lowest you want to consider is 90%); I honestly chalk up these differences simply due to luck when each company sourced their plastics (and not something any of them actively researched or invested in). 

Very easy for any company that offers slabs to switch to such protection so long as the costs are reasonable to them (in fact, they can keep the slab plastic the exact same, just offer an inner sleeve have UV protection)

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 7/20/2024 at 2:10 PM, Sauce Dog said:

It is a little disingenuous to say they are outright 'the worst at it' when all of them fail UV protection (CGC being 5% higher isn't close to a pass...even BGS which had around 50% is still not appropriate for protection when the lowest you want to consider is 90%); I honestly chalk up these differences simply due to luck when each company sourced their plastics (and not something any of them actively researched or invested in). 

Very easy for any company that offers slabs to switch to such protection so long as the costs are reasonable to them (in fact, they can keep the slab plastic the exact same, just offer an inner sleeve have UV protection)

It’s not disingenuous, it’s just the facts. Whether they lucked into being the worst at it or not, objectively they are. And I never claimed any were great or even good at it, but still they are the worst of the worst when it comes that particular aspect. And given they’ve shown no desire to change that in the card slabs which they’ve been in the market on for a long time I’m not sure why anyone would expect them to do that in the comic slabs they produce. But again, like I said, I hope they do. But I’m not holding my breath. 

On 7/20/2024 at 2:58 PM, Sauce Dog said:

No idea why people want UV protection, I guess they plan on displaying their collection in the sun?  

On 7/20/2024 at 8:54 PM, Kevin76 said:

No idea why people want UV protection, I guess they plan on displaying their collection in the sun?  

They may have their books displayed on walls and such which could have some exposure to low intensity UV. 

On 7/19/2024 at 7:18 PM, aardvark88 said:

Will be hard for PSA to exceed the acceptance in the market of Voldemort (bought by Beckett) grading, as they have about a 10 year head start in the comic/mag pro grading market.

CGC's magazine grading is pathetic. 

On 7/20/2024 at 8:50 AM, Ryan. said:

Significantly higher salary than what CGC offers.

No way the high school and college kids that were grading comics in CGC's walkthrough video were salaried employees. 

On 7/20/2024 at 8:54 PM, Kevin76 said:

You know it's perfectly fine to display your books proudly without damaging them, right? I use UV protection on all my rotated displays without any issue - just be smart about it and you can enjoy the art. You can't go one week in any online group without discussion about UV protection or displaying correctly cropping up, so an added measure of protection (which is the entire point of slabbing comics for many people) would make sense as a decent selling point for them.

Edited by Sauce Dog